Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
sunlightandtea

Attaching fluffy ears and tail

sunlightandtea

Hello! The faux fur for my doll's ears and tail have finally arrived and I'm excited to finally construct those. My plan is to attach the ears to magnets and then tape magnets to the head beneath the wig. Similarly, I was considering using either a magnet or a safety pin to attach the tail to whatever outfit the doll is wearing.

The specific magnets I was looking at was a set of 3x1mm, decent reviews.

What is your experience and advice for attaching these kinds of things? Magnet recommendations? Many thanks in advance!

Edited by sunlightandtea

Yumeiro

Not so much advice, but some inspiration maybe..?
This is what my girl has:
ImS0Nlo.jpg

The clips are a bit big for my liking, but they are pretty much not noticeable at all.
I think Millhiores tail had a similar system, where you just tie it. But would look best with a magnet or pin. But I wonder if a magnet will be able to hold a (larger) tail in place..?

• Like 1

sunlightandtea
42 minutes ago, Yumeiro said:

The clips are a bit big for my liking, but they are pretty much not noticeable at all.
I think Millhiores tail had a similar system, where you just tie it. But would look best with a magnet or pin. But I wonder if a magnet will be able to hold a (larger) tail in place..?

Oh! She's too cute. So fluffy! The elastic is a great idea. I didn't think about weight but you're totally right, I want my girl to have a big fluffy (heavy) tail, and I was considering adding garden wire in the center to allow for potability, so that makes a whole lot more sense. Thank you for sharing pictures!

Galvatim

I use magnets for the ears.  You can just attach the ears to the wig with the magnets, or use tape or eye putty to attach the magnet to the headcap.  For the tails, I drilled holes in the backs of 3 of my DDs, and attached the tails that way.  I wouldn't recommend this method.  You'd need some strong magnets, but it would be possible to attach the tail magnetically.  It comes down to how you want to dress your doll, something like a kimono won't work well with my tail method, with out modifying the outfit.  

sunlightandtea
2 hours ago, Galvatim said:

I use magnets for the ears.  You can just attach the ears to the wig with the magnets, or use tape or eye putty to attach the magnet to the headcap.  For the tails, I drilled holes in the backs of 3 of my DDs, and attached the tails that way.  I wouldn't recommend this method.  You'd need some strong magnets, but it would be possible to attach the tail magnetically.  It comes down to how you want to dress your doll, something like a kimono won't work well with my tail method, with out modifying the outfit.  

Gotcha. I was thinking magnets as well, I ordered some 3x1mm and I will keep y'all posted on their strength. Regarding the tail, that's certainly a brave approach! Luckily the smart dolls already have a hole drilled into the small of their back, so I'll definitely consider it!

Galvatim

I'm still surprised Danny doesn't sell cat or fox tails that plug into SmD.  While at first glance he tends to shy away from anime tropes like catgirls, he's released maid outfits and school uniforms already.  Not to mention releasing actual anime characters.  

• Like 1

sunlightandtea
1 hour ago, Galvatim said:

I'm still surprised Danny doesn't sell cat or fox tails that plug into SmD.  While at first glance he tends to shy away from anime tropes like catgirls, he's released maid outfits and school uniforms already.  Not to mention releasing actual anime characters.  

That would be totally awesome and pretty on brand, I agree! Maybe since he's released the three-eyed girl, he'll start leaning more towards fantasy dolls from now on!