Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
NeeP

Dyeing a Smart Doll...

NeeP

A few years ago, I recall seeing a post about dyeing a SmD Eiji purple.  I cannot recall if that was on the old DollfieDreams site, or Elsewhere.  I have been searching for this thread because...

I also want to dye a Smart Doll.  And I was hoping to ask the person who did it some questions.  Or of anyone else who has dyed their doll...

Such as:

1. How well did the dye take?  Were there any blotches?  Were some parts harder to dye than the others?  What dye was used for your project?

2. Were there any issues with the dye rubbing off on clothing?  Was sealant used to prevent that?  How well did it work?  Or reversely, did the clothes still stain the doll?

3. How well did the colour hold out?  Was there any noticeable fading, after this time?

Here is my reason.  I have wanted a cocoa boy for a few years, and I have decided to make my own.  

I have almost a whole body now, made with second hand parts.  I just need a head (I’d also like a slim milk chest shell if I could buy one—see WTB post, but I can make do).  I have purchased a cocoa frame from Culture Japan, and I have purchased some vinyl dye (Ritmore: brown, red, orange, tan).  I have done some research through Google and YouTube, and I have read Elianti’s post regarding dyeing a DD, but finding any info regarding dyeing a SmD specifically, has been difficult.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.   I am going to do it anyways once I get all the pieces, but I would like to arm myself with some knowledge beforehand if I can.

Niki P.

Vinyl brood at home: Len, Noah, Kenji, Rinto, Kiri, Eiji, Anais, Rin, ‘Red’, Lenka, Kai, Midoriya, Marc, ‘Sue’, Terra, Night, Frankie, Anna and Chitose.

KingyoNingyo

I'm waiting on some dye to arrive at my place as well in order to dye my Entropy. I did some experiments with a spare bust part and some spray-on vinyl color, but I could never get it to stop being glossy. I know that someone had tried dyeing their SmD and it had turned out extremely blotchy, but there were no after pics provided, and they also mentioned using 'their country's equivalent' to iDye Poly/Rit DyeMore - not those exact products.

I've bought a vinyl babydoll to cut up for color ratio testing once the dye arrives, and then I'll use the remaining parts of the spare bust piece to doublecheck the dye against SmD's vinyl. Good luck to you! Please post your results. 😄

IgelFullmetal

I'd try buffing with a magic eraser to remove the gloss after spraying with the dye. you can also paint te joints, but i would sugest buffing them well with some sandpaper and then using a specialty hard plastic primer before applying paint.

cfx

The purple Eiji is here:

Not Smartdoll-specific, but there are a number of threads on dyeing here. I'll link a few, but you can find most of them if you just search for the word "dye" and forum member @elianti:

IgelFullmetal

I found this video on painting doll joints, and although it's specifically about monster high dolls the potential problem areas of dolls with plastic joints are similar (paint scraping off of the joints when you move them)

I would recommend paint over liquid dye because it's easier to control colour consistency over your entire doll. Just remember to prep your surfaces properly.

NeeP

@cfx Thanks for bringing up the links.  I got to review them all.

@IgelFullmetal I am not sure if you were replying to me or to @KingyoNingyo, but I figure I can try the dye first, then paint.  I did think of the joints when I started on this idea, I did not want to risk paint chipping, or dye not taking, so I purchased a Cocoa frame from Culture Japan.  

I am still am looking for parts before I begin, such as a slim chest shell, or a whole macho chest (or shell), and a head.  (Please see my WTB thread, here.)  I would want to tackle all the parts at once instead of trying to match parts at a later date.

Worse come to worse, I already got an old 2016 short-neck bust, and I can improvise with that, but I still need to find a head.

Niki P.

Vinyl brood at home: Len, Noah, Kenji, Rinto, Kiri, Eiji, Anais, Rin, ‘Red’, Lenka, Kai, Midoriya, Marc, ‘Sue’, Terra, Night, Frankie, Anna and Chitose.

KingyoNingyo
On 5/24/2020 at 11:50 AM, IgelFullmetal said:

I'd try buffing with a magic eraser to remove the gloss after spraying with the dye. you can also paint te joints, but i would sugest buffing them well with some sandpaper and then using a specialty hard plastic primer before applying paint.

Thanks for the suggestion! I had already tried magic eraser, as well as two grades of very fine sandpaper - 800 and 1500 grit. Weirdly enough even though I got it to a matte surface that way, it soon grew shiny again.

I've had much better luck with Rit DyeMore. I've been testing dye recipes this week and had good results from both parts of a milk bust and a cheap vinyl babydoll.

100529419_10221199197425568_8092759657535242240_o.jpg

Edited by KingyoNingyo

NeeP

Awesome.  This looks so promising for what I want to do. 

Niki P.

Kailyn

Oh I hope this turns out for you. I would be WAY to scared to mess it up. But ohh the possibilities.

KingyoNingyo

So last weekend I got everything done! The first round left Lan a bit too dark and vivid for what I wanted, so I used an acetone bath to remove most of the color and dye over what was left.

First results:

IMG-20200604-114743.jpg

Also you can see where I accidentally left one of her wrist joints in the dye bath far longer than the others. Oops.

IMG-20200605-091902.jpg

So after some color correction with a slightly different dye recipe, I ended up with a more mellow tan. Her torso and head did NOT want to take the dye as easily the second time around, so if you decide to dye your doll be cautious about making sure you like the recipe the first time. Also you can see how her torso is spotty. I'm not sure if that's a result of failing to dry that part of before placing it in front of the fan or what. That only happened on the torso part and the head, but I expect a faceup to cover the head blotches which were tiny and contained to the eyelid area.

I hope this helps! Don't be afraid, just do some testing and go slow!

• Like 5

NeeP

@KingyoNingyo  Thanks for the pictures.  Your girl looks simply awesome.  I think I got what I need and I am looking towards dyeing tomorrow.  I will document the process.

• Like 1

Niki P.

KingyoNingyo

Awesome! I just dyed a new torso for her today and brightened the rest of her dye up as well. Can't wait to see pictures of your results!

NeeP

I always wanted a Cocoa boy, but this turned out darker than I expected.  But I like it. 

50108204633_6086c3b86f_b.jpg

midnight-07122020a by Niki Paradis, on Flickr

• Like 5

Niki P.