Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Starwaia

Did my stand break easily or...?

Starwaia

So I was doing a photoshoot with Mels and Felis outdoors and I accidentally knelt on Felis' stand(the newer one with rubber tip). It bent but didn't break, and works mostly fine except that it won't collapse fully now. It seems very flimsy now and I hadn't realized how thin the metal was. Are the newer ones more cheaply made or was it my being fat that made the difference? xD (please don't be rude, my self deprecating humor is mine alone 😛 )

I've also heard of some materials made to take stress in some directions not others (I had a friend explain to me how to break a fishing rod if you pull from the wrong angle), so maybe it just seems flimsy because of the way it broke? I like the rubber tip a lot better than the previous one, which I haven't stress tested since I don't want to break that too. I'm wondering if it's worth buying another one because I like the new stand (one can never have too many), but if it breaks that easily I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Thoughts?

Got less time to do doll stuff and more time to procrastinate. I'll try to be active here more discussion-wise but no pics or news for a while, unfortunately. Being busy sucks.

Currently watching BNHA, on season 4 and obsessed! (being in a fandom late makes dodging spoilers an issue tho :()
More into Nendoroids than BJDs rn, but I'm waiting for a grail of mine and also hoping to get back into that stuff soon!

Tierparkzone

I don't think there's much difference between the older and the newer stands - both are just aerials that are glued into a plastic connector. For the new stands they just seem to have found a supplier where they can procure them without the tip already soldered on.

So they are just hollow tubes out of thin sheet metal. They will definitely bend when subjected to any noteworthy force that is not directed along their longitudinal axis. - I'd say that definitely includes kneeling on them, unfortunately... By the way, the fact it can withstand more force in one direction than the other is in this case only due to the hollow cylinder shape and not due to "anisotropy" like in carbon fiber material (fishing rods).

So if you order a new one, yeah - it likely won't be any more sturdy than the ones you have...

• Like 1

Katsudon

I guess on the bright side, at least that means it won't be less sturdy than your old one! (Sorry, I only have a new one so I can't compare. They are nice though, so go for it! Now I'm wondering if I should get a spare juuust in case. XD)

• Like 1

Starwaia
On 8/11/2020 at 8:32 AM, Tierparkzone said:

I don't think there's much difference between the older and the newer stands - both are just aerials that are glued into a plastic connector. For the new stands they just seem to have found a supplier where they can procure them without the tip already soldered on.

So they are just hollow tubes out of thin sheet metal. They will definitely bend when subjected to any noteworthy force that is not directed along their longitudinal axis. - I'd say that definitely includes kneeling on them, unfortunately... By the way, the fact it can withstand more force in one direction than the other is in this case only due to the hollow cylinder shape and not due to "anisotropy" like in carbon fiber material (fishing rods).

So if you order a new one, yeah - it likely won't be any more sturdy than the ones you have...

Yeah no I'm definitely not planning on kneeling on one again! That was a sucky accident and I'm definitely more careful to keep track of where they are during photoshoots now. And thanks for finding the name of that property so I can look it up, that concept seemed really interesting. Makes sense that in the case of the stand it would be the shape of it though, it was definitely not designed for being sat on, lol. "anisotropy" is something I'll have to look up more because I do like learning about materials.

On 8/11/2020 at 9:46 AM, Katsudon said:

I guess on the bright side, at least that means it won't be less sturdy than your old one! (Sorry, I only have a new one so I can't compare. They are nice though, so go for it! Now I'm wondering if I should get a spare juuust in case. XD)

Hah, that's fair! I probably will grab a spare with my next order. I imagine if you're careful it'll be fine but having an extra or two on hand couldn't hurt... I'm on vacation right now so I only have one for each doll so I'm hoping things don't go amiss or no more group photos lol.

Got less time to do doll stuff and more time to procrastinate. I'll try to be active here more discussion-wise but no pics or news for a while, unfortunately. Being busy sucks.

Currently watching BNHA, on season 4 and obsessed! (being in a fandom late makes dodging spoilers an issue tho :()
More into Nendoroids than BJDs rn, but I'm waiting for a grail of mine and also hoping to get back into that stuff soon!