Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

AveragePigeon

How to make faceups look good?

AveragePigeon
8 minutes ago, OccultBeast said:

Just putting out a reminder, since there's a lot of talk about MSC and sealants in this thread, in case anyone here doesn't already know:

You must wear a half- or full-face respirator with an N95 Filter and an Organic Vapor Cartridge to properly protect your lungs while spraying MSC or any other sealant (including via an airbrush!)

You can find an extremely in-depth explanation on what, why, and how via this page, which was kindly re-uploaded from a very old but very informative post on Den of Angels.  You only have two lungs, please remember to protect them!

TLDR;
You need:  A half- or full-face respirator, an N95 level or higher Filter, and an Organic Vapor Cartridge.  I use a 3M half-face respirator with 60921 filters, as they have both a P100 level filter and an Organic Vapor Cartridge together for ease of use.

You must wear it when spraying:  Outside, inside, with a spray booth, 'just one layer,' with an airbrush, etc.  If you're spraying, you need a respirator.

Basic Tips:  Do not share your respirator.  Keep it clean.  Test the fit by covering the filters with both hands and trying to breathe in; if air comes in around the mask, re-fit it correctly, and do it every single time you put it on.  Do not assume it is fit properly without testing.  Store your respirator in a zip top bag or some other air-tight container to prolong the life of your filters.  If you can smell anything through your filters, replace them.  Do not risk the health of your lungs: you cannot undo damage once it has been done.

That's all good to know! I'm always safe with my mask!

• Like 1

Chocola
On 9/23/2020 at 9:52 PM, AveragePigeon said:

What I had been told by a friend was that my MSC wasn't shaken enough (which probably was the case), so that also could be it! 70% humidity and not too hot or cold of weather is the best way to get it matte!

This seems so finicky though, is there other better options ? I live in Florida so it’s always hot and humid LOL

AveragePigeon
58 minutes ago, Chocola said:

This seems so finicky though, is there other better options ? I live in Florida so it’s always hot and humid LOL

I had the same issue, and recently have switched to using sponge on sealant, which doesn't depend on humidity AND you can do it at your workspace. I've mainly switched to resin dolls but it worked just as well on my Dollfie Dream! Here's a link to the youtube video that goes over it (https://youtu.be/i4uZwZLVh5g and the second part of the tutorial: https://youtu.be/wWx5okzUlu8). It also dries a lot quicker (about ~10 minutes or so between coats), it's been an absolute godsend for me! You also really don't need a respirator or anything (from what I know at least), it's a lot easier. Also really like how you can work in sections this way, it works very well if you do one part of the faceup really well and want to make sure that's not damaged while you work on the rest of it. If you have any questions on it, I can help if you want to dm me or something!

Edited by AveragePigeon
Wanted to add further info
  • Like 1

Chocola

Thank youu ! I’ll check that out soon & I’ll let u know if I have any questions !