Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
DreamDollDesign

Is it relatively safe to trade dolls?

DreamDollDesign

I just posted on a Facebook group that I'm interested in trading one of my dolls for another doll. Now that it's posted I started thinking about whether it's safe or not. How does either party feel confident mailing off their doll? Are there any kind of safety precautions you can take? 

I'm especially worried about trading internationally but I don't know if that's reasonable or not.

Thanks for any advice!

Ayuuya

I haven't traded any of my dolls-- but here are my thoughts about safety precautions:

- picture proof that both parties actually own the physical doll in question, more than just a username on a piece of paper; like maybe a picture of the doll with a recent newspaper/magazine AND the username on a piece of paper. 

- buyer/seller feedback is needed from both parties. preferably something that is from a user marketplace be it a different hobby or something else.

- both parties use an insured & tracked method of shipping, especially since mail seems to be backed up;;;

- maybe both parties put a downpayment that gets refunded as soon as the doll arrives? idk

I think its reasonable to be concerned about trading internationally, it will be harder to track down if things go south. Shipping will be expensive for both parties. Shipping will also potentially take even longer because of the pandemic too.

• Like 1

moerunamida

I wouldn't trade anything that valuable, because there is too much that can go wrong. One of the dolls could get lost. One isn't the same description as previous owner described. I'd highly recommend selling what doll you want to get the money for the doll you wish to purchase. Ayuuya has made some very good points, and I'd absolutely follow them all. If you wanted complete safety, each of you should paypal the doll's value to each other as if you are selling that way you are covered if something goes wrong. I hear too many horror stories of trades going south quickly.

• Like 1

r75s0k.gifCircle (Towa) Yui (MDD) Coralie (MDD) 88 (Kizuna AI) 1rukij4.gif

DreamDollDesign
On 10/17/2020 at 6:38 PM, Ayuuya said:

I haven't traded any of my dolls-- but here are my thoughts about safety precautions:

- picture proof that both parties actually own the physical doll in question, more than just a username on a piece of paper; like maybe a picture of the doll with a recent newspaper/magazine AND the username on a piece of paper. 

- buyer/seller feedback is needed from both parties. preferably something that is from a user marketplace be it a different hobby or something else.

- both parties use an insured & tracked method of shipping, especially since mail seems to be backed up;;;

- maybe both parties put a downpayment that gets refunded as soon as the doll arrives? idk

I think its reasonable to be concerned about trading internationally, it will be harder to track down if things go south. Shipping will be expensive for both parties. Shipping will also potentially take even longer because of the pandemic too.

These are all fantastic points, thank you! I hadn't considered the down payment, but I'm not sure about it. Seems like it might make people warier or something.

I'm definitely worried about a doll potentially getting lost on either end. That would be horrible.

On 10/17/2020 at 11:04 PM, Deyja said:

I wouldn't trade anything that valuable, because there is too much that can go wrong. One of the dolls could get lost. One isn't the same description as previous owner described. I'd highly recommend selling what doll you want to get the money for the doll you wish to purchase. Ayuuya has made some very good points, and I'd absolutely follow them all. If you wanted complete safety, each of you should paypal the doll's value to each other as if you are selling that way you are covered if something goes wrong. I hear too many horror stories of trades going south quickly.

Yeah, I think you're right, ultimately. I'm just in kind of a bind.

I have a SmD Mirai that I've never really clicked with, but really wanted to sew for. But since I've never clicked with her, and the fact that it seems like the clothing market for SmDs is kind of saturated, I was really hoping to trade her towards a doll I'd like a lot more. But I didn't want to let her go and lose the body to sew for while potentially being unable to find one of the dolls I'd rather have. If that makes sense. It also really doesn't help that I have no idea what she would sell for, since she's milk skin and I only recently learned about those being discontinued. I thought a trade would be easier but it definitely isn't in the end.

• Like 1

moerunamida
13 hours ago, DreamDollDesign said:

I have a SmD Mirai that I've never really clicked with, but really wanted to sew for. But since I've never clicked with her, and the fact that it seems like the clothing market for SmDs is kind of saturated, I was really hoping to trade her towards a doll I'd like a lot more. But I didn't want to let her go and lose the body to sew for while potentially being unable to find one of the dolls I'd rather have. If that makes sense. It also really doesn't help that I have no idea what she would sell for, since she's milk skin and I only recently learned about those being discontinued. I thought a trade would be easier but it definitely isn't in the end.

If it helps any I'd start high and work lower since she is discontinued. Also where you are shipping from. If she is in mint condition, I don't see why you couldn't get what you paid for her + a little extra. I know in Europe fees are added into the doll price frequently. I wish you the best of luck!

• Like 1

r75s0k.gifCircle (Towa) Yui (MDD) Coralie (MDD) 88 (Kizuna AI) 1rukij4.gif

BeyondTime
On 10/17/2020 at 3:38 PM, Ayuuya said:

This is a crucial element. If it was a cash transaction you could rely on PayPal for protection, but this is a trade and there are unscrupulous people out there who use fake trades to steal valuable dolls. 

People do use the trade system legitimately, so it is a thing, but it’s a thing that is probably safer at meets than it is online. On the other hand, some folks in the hobby have such a stellar reputation that you don’t have anything to worry about. 

One other suggestion, make sure both you and the other party are very clear on exactly what is being traded, and what the condition of the items are. 

• Like 2

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction