Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

PumpKing

Modding Hands to be Magnetic

PumpKing

This mostly just me figuring out is this possible than showing how to do it!

On one hand (hehe) changing obitsu hands is pretty easy! Just pop the hand off and pop the alt hand on.

On the other, I really do not like that the alt hands openings seem to be smaller and I need to hit em with a hairdryer to make it fit.

I've kind of been spoiled being able to play with a friend's minifee in the past and her numerous option hands.
love the idea of popping hands on quick and easy with magnets - no hairdryer needed!

I'd love to do it with my obitsu, just as soon as Parabox lists the 40/45 wrist parts back in stock again for me to buy some spares.

So what I'm thinking I will do is pretty simple:

Sand the oval part of the wrist (the part that is too big to fit into the hands w/out the help of a hairdryer) smaller, and glue a magnet on it.

Fill the inside of the hand somehow (likely with something temporary, just in case this all fails!) and glue a magnet inside.

if anyone else has done anything remotely similar, I'd love to see it!

In the meantime, I watch the Parabox page and wait till those wrists are in stock for me - I'll have pictures here eventually!!

• Like 2

Testament

Mmmmh seems interesting and solve the other problem: orientation of the hand related to the wrist.

My question is: how strong will be the hand? Can it sustain weight like a weapon or accessories?

Will it rotate on its axis if the weight of the accessories is unbalanced?

For sure you'll need very strong magnets, I own some I bought on amazon that are 3 mm large and can hold a pair of scissors without problem cause they're superstrong, so strong I fear the glue can't resist the attraction...

Maybe you can add something between the magnets to increase friction and make rotation more difficult...

I'll wait your progress.

banner%2Bb%2Band%2Bm%2B1200%2Bpx%2Bcon%2

PumpKing
On 11/19/2020 at 10:13 PM, Testament said:

Mmmmh seems interesting and solve the other problem: orientation of the hand related to the wrist.

My question is: how strong will be the hand? Can it sustain weight like a weapon or accessories?

Will it rotate on its axis if the weight of the accessories is unbalanced?

For sure you'll need very strong magnets, I own some I bought on amazon that are 3 mm large and can hold a pair of scissors without problem cause they're superstrong, so strong I fear the glue can't resist the attraction...

Maybe you can add something between the magnets to increase friction and make rotation more difficult...

I'll wait your progress.

The magnets I intend to use are from https://www.kjmagnetics.com/ --- I don't know if they'll be strong enough to hold weapons or accessories but damn these magnets are powerful. 
(Strong enough that I cracked a pair when I had them on opposite sides of my workstation - when they still attracted to eachother they hit with such force that one split right down the middle. OOPS...)

These are the magnets a friend of mine uses for her 3D printed horns and swears by em.

I didn't even think about this mod idea allowing for rotating the wrist! That definitely is one issue Ive had in the short time I've owned my obitsu, and it makes me even more excited to try and combat that issue. :)

Testament

Good! I hope they're strong, but not TOO strong to break glue or something. Anyway moving them sliding by the side could be effective for separation.

banner%2Bb%2Band%2Bm%2B1200%2Bpx%2Bcon%2

Chilmark

I've been thinking about this too, the newer rotating wrists for Dollfie Dreams have spoiled me lol.

The Obitsu foot magnets screw into the ankle plastic, so I think in keeping with that tested design, you'd want to get the smallest countersunk rings from K&J and screw them to the wrist pegs? Maybe stack them two deep to make a short magnetic peg and multiply the pull strength. I've been working on a lot of magnet additions to resin dolls and the magnets always wanna come unstuck if they're only glued on one face 😕

For the hand side, you could use a short bit of silicone tubing with the correct inner diameter to make a grippy socket for the wrist peg, with a larger magnet at the bottom inside the hand.  That'd give you some friction versus rotation.

• Like 1

sunlightandtea

Very intrigued by this idea. I have the worst time with dollfie dream hands, and I was also very interested in the magnetic system in minifees. Unfortunately I usually keep my doll near a computer, so the very paranoid side of me is a little to scared to have powerful magnets around that.

Keep us posted on your experiments!

Angered-Icon

I actually planning this also. one of the first things I noticed when I got my AP (aside from her physique) was the orientation of the joint. I bought some 5x2.7 mm neodymium magnets to fit inside the hand. my plan is to see if I can fit them into a tube to get some extra support. My only thing is I would like to know where I can get backup skeleton parts and hands incase I screw it up!

As a side note. I did see another post somewhere where the person just made the writ part on to round pegs and kept it simple so there's that too...

BeyondTime

I have a set of posable hands that use magnets to attach the hands to the wrist, and honestly I prefer the kind that just use a normal wrist peg. The issue isn't strength, but rather it's much more difficult to orient them. The problem with magnets is they attract on one side and repel on the other, so adjusting the wrist pose requires pulling the wrist, rotating parts until it's both posed the way I want and still attached, and then putting it back on. The only real upside I can see to using a magnet on a posable hand is to eliminate friction and make the hand last longer. 

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction