Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
That_Dollfie_Dude

My first Dollfie Dream, Karin is visiting my friend's Smart Doll Kanata

That_Dollfie_Dude

Hello!  I got my first Dollfie in the mail this week.  She's a standard model, DDS Karin.  I only have a Smart Doll so this was my first time to see or touch a Dollfie Dream.  I found that she's much softer feeling than my Smart Doll Prowess.  I also wasn't really sure how to open her little outfits.  There was this plastic hanger attached to a cardboard body shape that her outfits from Volks come on.  I kind of just took the scissors to that plastic hook and cut right through it.  Not sure if that's the right way to go though!  I also noticed than Karin weighs more than my Smart Dolls.  I think her inner skeleton must be heavier. 

I got a few different outfits for her, but so far I only dressed her in this Chocolate Mint Lolita dress.  There was this lace piece for the back of the dress that needed to be attached by a pin!  That made me a little nervous - putting a hole in her new clothes, but I think it's probably not going to be a a problem.  In anycase, here she is with my friend's Kanata.  They are getting along well so far!  😄

spacer.png

• Like 6

HannGS

They look really pretty together! ♥ 

Can you share more info about the differences between them?

Tierparkzone

Congrats - Karin is a cutie!

And yes DD-f3s are a fair bit heavier than Smart Dolls (I don't know about the older frame types). Their center of gravity is also a little bit higher up the body so they are a little bit harder to "convince" standing up on their own - still totally possible.

The hooks on the packaging of Volks outfits are actually snap fasteners - sometimes they can be very tight, though. Prying them open with the edge of a nail file usually works in those cases.

Btw: Lots of Kanatas I see on the web wear their glasses pushed right up to the root of their nose. If that's what your friend is going for, than that's perfectly fine of course. But in my experience it looks much cuter if they're wearing the glasses a little bit lower on the nose. In case your friend had not considered this yet, maybe give it a try?

That_Dollfie_Dude
13 hours ago, Tierparkzone said:

Congrats - Karin is a cutie!

Btw: Lots of Kanatas I see on the web wear their glasses pushed right up to the root of their nose. If that's what your friend is going for, than that's perfectly fine of course. But in my experience it looks much cuter if they're wearing the glasses a little bit lower on the nose. In case your friend had not considered this yet, maybe give it a try?

Thank you so much!  Yes, she is really cute!  I love her <3 

As for Kanata's glasses, you're definitely right.  We're both new to dolls.  Or I should say, I bought Kanata for him to force him to be into dolls with me.  😜  Her glasses are quite fiddly, and they really do slide around a lot.  It's hard to get them positioned correctly, especially with the hood.  I really wanted to get Kanata's original glasses but at the time I ordered all they had were these "genesis glasses."  (And they seemed really pricey for what they are - but the glasses were the reason I picked her for him!)

16 hours ago, HannGS said:

They look really pretty together! ♥ 

Can you share more info about the differences between them?

I think there's lots of great videos out there that compare Smart Doll to Dollfie Dream.  People who know a lot more about the dolls than I do.  Just from my own first impressions, I'll give you these uneducated opinions:

What I like more about Dollfie Dream:

- Feels nicer

- Weight

- Leg mobility

- Choice of other body sizes

- More licensed Characters

- Clothing styles are more to my taste

- Clothing is more reasonably price

- Bright, anime hair colors

- Volks is not monitoring your social media pages.  (>_<)

What I like more about Smart Doll:

- Torso is not quite as overly thin

- Body movement is segmented under the bust, rather than across the stomach

- Clothing is higher quality - particularly jeans

- A bit more stain resistant due to not being as soft

- Much better choice of "standard" models that can be ordered at any time

- Has really awesome accessories (again - with price to match).  Mirai Carry vs Dollfie Carrying Case, for example.

Neutral (to me) considerations:

- Skin tone: Smart Doll offers darker skin tones (Tea and Cocoa), and Dollfie Dream offers lighter ones (Semi-white and Flesh are both lighter than SmD's current lightest - Cinnamon)

- Smart Doll Stand.  This is nice for standing dolls up for photos and display, but it also does leave them with a socket in their backs at all times.  For some it's a major plus, but for me it's neither here nor there. 

• Like 1

Tierparkzone
10 hours ago, Prowess_dollie said:

Her glasses are quite fiddly, and they really do slide around a lot.

They shouldn't be able to slide around much (assuming the the Genesis Glasses don't differ that much from the Kanata Glasses).

DSC_3521r.JPG.a60257376afeedd2fa5fbafab3526808.JPG

Make sure the wig cap is pulled down enough, that it contacts the tip of both ears and the ends of the glasses are tucked under the wig directly above the ears. Then the pressure of the wig cap should hold the glasses in place properly.

If you have issues getting the ends of the glasses under the wig, pull it a bit outward by the hair and slide the glasses under it - one side at a time.

DSC_3523r.JPG.b4cba4af75d152ff57f74e2b0146e1f7.JPG

• Thanks 1