Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Chilmark

Rotating Wrists for Obitsu 50, ver. "KISS Principle"

Chilmark

IMG-20210209-160804-2.jpg

Obitsu wrists are weird. The default articulation allows for radial and ulnar deviation of the hand, but not flexion or extension. The wrist pegs can obviously rotate in the arm, but the hand can't rotate on the wrist to create supination or pronation. Because the hands are vinyl, they can sort of be forced onto the wrist perpendicularly, but it deforms the palm because the attachment point is oval in cross-section and not round. Plus you usually have to heat the hands to get them on or off. Not great! Especially since there's so many optional hands available, it's a bummer that they're not more user-friendly.

I was considering a magnetic hand system, but when thinking of a secure way to anchor and align the magnets, I thought about corks and realized I was over-engineering. Hence, I call these the https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle" version.

IMG-20210209-155627-2.jpg

I just filed the hand pegs to be round in cross section, used epoxy clay to build the shape (and increase the surface area) to a tapered cylinder like a rubber stopper, sanded it smooth, and stuck the hand on it. It fits! The round shape allows the hand to rotate over it! I might cover the new peg with a bit of silicone aquarium tubing to increase the resistance to rotation, but it stays on and posed fine as it is. I can pull the wrist off the arm by the fingertips.

IMG-20210209-164727-2.jpg

Customized range-of-motion on the left, default on the right. I also used this opportunity to sand her wrists matte with 600 grit sandpaper so they match the finish of the vinyl.

Edited by Chilmark
Someday I'm going to get the formatting right the first try. Someday.
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Gabihime

I am absolutely doing this!

Bashbers

GENIUS! I have so many different hands for my Obitsu, but it's always such a pain to change them out. I'm definitely attempting this! 

kassidybell

Oh I was just wanting to do something like this with my AP! Thank you for the idea :) I'll be attempting this sometime soon.

Veravey

Thank you!! I just bought my 3rd doll off Mandarake and I was thinking this exactly, that her wrist movement is so limited. Thanks for a solution!

ftRtwRu9355h.gif.886b75a4e71a6125e1f5c114f2fd2e47.gif

Oculae

Beautiful work, and with my favorite Visuadoll girl as a model! I was debating seeing if I could throw something together to make Dollfie Dream wrists work with the Obitsu 1/4 hands, but this looks like much less work for the same results.

Do you have trouble keeping the hands on the wrist pegs with this mod, or is the bottom of the taper still wide enough to keep them secure?

tumblr_o9govtKpFv1v9twgko1_400.gif.eae368d3c0bfc2a75087167170705ec2.gifPlease ping me when replying!

Angered-Icon

I'm tempted to go this route instead of what I was thinking. "KISS" saves time, billions in research money, stress and other things. =o

Kazthenoodle

What a cool mod!! I love the old Visualdoll sculpts!