Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Starwaia

DolFun alt. frame parts?

Starwaia

Hey all,

I remember a while ago there was excitement over the release of an alternative part for the SMD frame made by DolFun. People seemed really interested in it as it extended the range of motion for the Smartdoll thighs. Then someone in the Smart Doll Lovers group posted a review claiming that it would apparently cause dents in the vinyl and pretty much at that point it stopped being talked about there. What I'm wondering is whether this is accurate, whether the "dents" couldn't just be popped out again with heat from a hairdryer, and if anyone else has had experience with the alternate hip part

I was nervous to bring it up anywhere back when the SDL group was the only "big" group and banned criticism, but now I'm interested in looking into them because I really would love to try more with my dolls. Unfortunately it appears that all the frames are sold out on the DolFun website so I'm not sure if it's even possible to get them anymore, and they also apparently void a doll's warranty so I'm somewhat reluctant in that regard. However I am curious since after the SDL review it seemed people just... stopped talking about them? And they've apparently released knee frame parts since then and I only found this out by looking on their site. Have I just been looking in the wrong places?

Anyway, if anyone has any experience with using the alt. parts, whether they work, and insight on whether it's worth using if it voids the SMD warranty, feel free to post here!

-Jo

Got less time to do doll stuff and more time to procrastinate. I'll try to be active here more discussion-wise but no pics or news for a while, unfortunately. Being busy sucks.

Currently watching BNHA, on season 6 and obsessed! (being in a fandom late makes dodging spoilers an issue tho :()
More into Nendoroids than BJDs rn, but I'm waiting for a grail of mine and also hoping to get back into that stuff soon!

moerunamida

I had them in both my SmDs. They probably will get restocked, but I've been out of the Smart Doll loop for awhile. They would put more pressure on the hips if you had legs bent up high, but like you said, a hair dryer would pop the vinyl back into place. I wouldn't suggest leaving them in one of those positions other than for photos however. Using them does void the SmD warranty, but just back talking Danny on social media voids your warranty. I wouldn't worry too much about that. They are a little tricky to get in, but I loved having them in my girls when I owned them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

r75s0k.gifCircle (Towa) Yui (MDD) Coralie (MDD) 88 (Kizuna AI) 1rukij4.gif

Poofiemus

,Oh man, this stuff looks excellent. Pricey, but probably worth it. 

Looks like they're set to restock new frame parts on Feb 26, now. Nothing on old frame parts. I may message them when I get employed again, since it looks like my boy is on the old frame.

• Like 1

In this household, sanity is considered a tresspasser.

Starwaia

Ohh, I didn't set this to get notifications oops-

Thanks for your input everyone! I definitely will watch that vid asap. I should really get familiar with the doll community on YouTube since there seems to be a lot of info there- I'm not used to watching videos abt this stuff, short attention span maybe...

I'm not sure if I'm up to voiding my warranty because I don't think it currently has been, but if for some reason I end up on Danny's blacklist I'll definitely try these out for sure. I hope that the old frame ones are available sometime though, I think that's all my dolls' version. I could buy the part (so I have it) but not necessarily use it... but anyway.

@Poofiemus thanks for the heads up! I see the new frame parts are in stock now; the posing in the product photos is very cool! I hope if anyone wants them they are able to get them!

I really hope the maker culture aspect that I initially thought would exist in SMD catches on more, maybe it's the fear of breaking such an expensive doll? Or losing the warranty ig. That's what I'm still nervous about. And I even have a "spare" body but still. Would Danny void the warranties on all my dolls if I only used it on one body and swapped it around? I wouldn't put it past him tbh.

• Like 1

Got less time to do doll stuff and more time to procrastinate. I'll try to be active here more discussion-wise but no pics or news for a while, unfortunately. Being busy sucks.

Currently watching BNHA, on season 6 and obsessed! (being in a fandom late makes dodging spoilers an issue tho :()
More into Nendoroids than BJDs rn, but I'm waiting for a grail of mine and also hoping to get back into that stuff soon!

Wasabi

I have the latest version of the hip joint, but I am still too intimidated to actually install it 😭

Evy

Hi! I’m new to the forum but not so new to the hobby, I was wondering if anyone has had experience with ordering the dolfun frame recently in 2023

the site says preorder but the estimates of wait time are a bit outdated and also since the new evolve frame was introduced

I’m interested in the crotch frame and the knee one (that said if you you have them and WTS) 

all the info here is so precious tysm!

Evy

So I decided to buy the dolfun mod parts, hip + knee frame. Since they’re marked reserve on the site I wasn’t sure if they’d still make them, specially now that Gen 2 frames are phased out. 
And they do! (As of when I ordered)

Ordered on Dec 24th and shipped on Jan 15th, I received them today they look great & well packaged but I haven’t installed them yet.
I wanted to update in case anyone else was planning to order them & weren't sure if they still made them

My plans for the hip frame are for one of my girls that I built, the knees are an option install for posing for photos, I don’t want to cut into the leg vinyl so the knees wont be permanent mod