Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Subaru

Soft Vinyl Putty for Repairs and Additive Modifications aka DD Slurry

Jezrah

That is so cool! Please let us know how this project goes as you continue to experiment- I hate color matching skin tones, so this could be really useful for more extreme mods.

32717445532_3aa446bd94_m.jpg

Poofiemus

Man, I wish I knew about this a year or so ago, there's an 01 head with crazy huge eye holes I've been trying to rescue. Frankly at this point maybe I should just take off my polymer clay mods and do DD Slurry. . . 

In this household, sanity is considered a tresspasser.

Subaru
14 minutes ago, Poofiemus said:

Man, I wish I knew about this a year or so ago, there's an 01 head with crazy huge eye holes I've been trying to rescue. Frankly at this point maybe I should just take off my polymer clay mods and do DD Slurry. . . 

It might be worth it to try the DD Slurry. You won't have to worry about color matching at least.
HOWEVER, you will need to find parts to cannibalize to create it.

My wallet needs a vacation 💸
spacer.png
Blog Insta Ko-Fi Etsy

Poofiemus
4 minutes ago, Subaru said:

It might be worth it to try the DD Slurry. You won't have to worry about color matching at least.
HOWEVER, you will need to find parts to cannibalize to create it.

This is very true. . .and honestly that 01 has left me VERY frustrated, I may need another successful head/mod project before I go back to that one, lol! I do think a little slurry would be a cool way to add lips back onto an open mouth mod. Maybe using a little bit of headcap and maybe salvaging material from the mouth opening could work. . . hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

In this household, sanity is considered a tresspasser.

Chilmark

Omg this is genius, I love it! I just tried this kind of solvent-welding recently with ABS + acetone and had been wondering if it would work with vinyl. Thanks so much for doing and sharing the research on the appropriate solvent.

I wonder if any of the Japanese modders are casting with the slurry 🤔 It'd be amazing to be able to recycle damaged parts into perfectly-matched optional hands/feet/ears. I can't imagine what molds would be solvent-resistant enough other than Ultracal or other plaster.

Gallye

I'd been wondering about that too, @Chilmark! It does seem like someone could cast reasonably well with the stuff - but the mold would be the biggest issue, that's for sure.

Mothiraffe

This is sheer brilliance.  I have a DD head with a neck hole that needs repairing... once the weather calms down I'm going to be melting some doll parts in the yard. Fantastic work OP.

ISO: SmD Crimson Kai, Interstellar Blue Prowess, Resolute (Tea), all the boys | DD Icon Tawny | Obitsu 55cm, 60cm Bodies | instagram: lunaraffe

Subaru
4 hours ago, Oculae said:

Wow surprised it's archived. I actually marked the post as private since I got quite a few complaints about it.

• Sad 2

My wallet needs a vacation 💸
spacer.png
Blog Insta Ko-Fi Etsy

ragnamuffin
3 hours ago, Subaru said:

Wow surprised it's archived. I actually marked the post as private since I got quite a few complaints about it.

Why would anyone complain about it? It’s super useful and I remember being so impressed with it when I first read it!

Oculae

Heaven forbid people chop up spare parts for cool mod tools? 😂

I'm just speculating, lol. I'm glad it's archived anyway, I had someone in one of my Discord servers asking about it, and afaik, this is the only tutorial for it out there!

tumblr_o9govtKpFv1v9twgko1_400.gif.eae368d3c0bfc2a75087167170705ec2.gifPlease ping me when replying!

Grover864

I'm new so I'm not sure if this information is posted elsewhere, but I didn't see it and thought I'd add it in case it's not. I've been looking into all kinds of mods and have been searching for information about additive processes. I was all on-board with the slurry trick at first. (It's actually an old plumbers trick to seal drain lines without having to cut/replace.) With more research it seems a lot of 'pros' in vinyl mods have been using electrothermal pens for mods but the most promising in my opinion is a new(ish.. released in 21 but it's a remake of an older product it seems) product.

You can find it by searching Gaianotes Material Series M-07Fn Instant Color Putty, Fresh (and White.) Apparently the "Fresh" is really close to Volks SW and mixing with the white version putty you can get it there if you need to. IE: Won't be covering it with pastels and paint anyway. It takes forever and a day to dry, but long working times aren't bad. And can use an accelerator to speed drying. There are several on the market. It acts just like original material for springy-ness, doesn't chip and crack off easily like resin, takes finishes exactly like the original and it's easier to process afterwards than original vinyl. I have a bottle of Fresh and White on the way from JP to try it out, but wanted to share my research in case it helps others out.

(You said ping you, but not really sure how yet lol... @Oculae)

Searches to help you out: M-07Fn インスタントカラーパテ フレッシュ

I found mine at Hobbysearch (1999.co.jp) and Amazon JP was sold out as of the posting of this. You should be able to find it other places as well.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oculae
10 hours ago, Grover864 said:

I have a bottle of Fresh and White on the way from JP to try it out

Huh, interesting that they let you ship it internationally! Hopefully customs and the post doesn't give you a hard time, but if you shipped through a courier you should be okay. Good to know this putty exists, as I found out through PMs later that apparently the Slurry post got deleted due to people trying it and being unable to get it to work, then blaming the original poster for ruining their doll and making them waste their money. 😕

Like...guys. No modding method is foolproof, but especially not one born from experimentation like this. Going and blaming the person who found a technique because you didn't go into it with the right expectations is a bad look. While I'd hope nobody here ended up being one of those commenters, it's a good reminder for us all - regardless of technique or tools, don't ever mod what you can't afford to lose!

Okay, soapbox over. Lemme know how it goes!

Edited by Oculae
  • Confused 1

tumblr_o9govtKpFv1v9twgko1_400.gif.eae368d3c0bfc2a75087167170705ec2.gifPlease ping me when replying!

Grover864
3 hours ago, Oculae said:

don't ever mod what you can't afford to lose!

Exactly. It's a shame we need disclaimers on pretty much everything these days.  Blows my mind. 

And in regards to that....

Don't use this putty I mentioned. It's harmful, may be illegal in your country, may permanently damage your doll or cat or dog or yourself etc. This covers everything said, implied and left out. 

Also, if you still don't believe me that you shouldn't and decide to try it, a serious tip is that certain accelerators can turn the putty a milky white when applied by aresol. It's possible to apply it by spraying onto something else then transferring it to reduce this effect. The best accelerator seems to be this one (which I most definitely have not found a way to acquire yet.) [Same disclaimers apply]

BSA 919 Primer

Grover864
On 10/23/2022 at 9:21 AM, Oculae said:

Hopefully customs and the post doesn't give you a hard time

Nothing but positive things to say here. Shipment with the putty (along with several other tools) arrived via EMS today. Declared value was accurate and marked as "Tools and Materials" / GIFT. No delays in tracking. Did have to sign for the package, but not a deal breaker. Just FYI that if anyone else gets something from them, make sure you're home to receive. My regular postal carrier did not bring it. It was a "Packages only" postal carrier so it came a different time of day. Now, as for the tests on how well it works, everyone will have to wait until the first of the year. Apparently my kids will be giving these items to me for Christmas. haha. 

• Like 1