Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
TomatoCultivator

Salutations!

TomatoCultivator

Good day to everyone!

Serial lurker, recent signer-upper.  I’ve learned a lot from these forums and everyone is very supportive with wonderful detailed responses.  When I started seeing posts that I knew something about, I realized I could get off my lazy bum and contribute back to the community.  So here I am!

I have 2 ladies with unique personalities; Ruby and Claire.

Ruby is a repurposed Sailor Jupiter from when her wig came apart the first time I was trying to assemble (looking back, I should have contacted Volks as there was no tie and only 2 threads holding the tail to the base.  But then I wouldn’t have Ruby!).  She still has her original eyes, but changes her hair and clothing on whim (not mine, someone else translates her requirements for me).  Apparently she’s not pleased with my tendency to purchase monochromatic clothing so I have to try and branch out to colors every so often.

Claire is an Aoki from Mahoutsukai that came with some modifications such as added lashes and glossed lips.  I had to redo the lashes and will eventually refresh the lips.  Claire’s lashes, hair and eyes change regularly (and occasionally body parts) and they’re open to all kinds of fashion choices.  If its new to try, Claire’s there.

The remaining 5 DD’s stay generally in character, typically in their original or alternate fullsets with the occasional foray into fun costumes based upon the original character personalities. 

Been interested in the Volks Hobby side for many years, and came across DDs when perusing publications like Fashion Doll Quarterly (so much pretty, so little money).  While I have no real photography equipment, setups or skills to speak of, I still enjoy taking snapshots and learning good tips from everyone else.

Other interests include creating dioramas with miniatures (1/6 scale and smaller) and weaving steel chainmail.  And yes, I do grow tomatoes annually.  The Momotaro variety takes up the majority (10+ plants) but I also tend some cherry varietals and related family members.

I am looking forward to interacting with everyone and thank you all for your support so far!

-Tom C.

• Like 2

Dollvari

Hello, welcome to the light😄 Sounds like you know your way around dolls, also sounds like you have the same just can't have one problem. (Welcome to the fold@onion36@)

Do you have any 1/6 scale dolls yet?

TomatoCultivator

Pleasure to meet you!  Pretty much everything I’ve learned has been from this forum and the recommended blogs.  Still a lot to learn; next project is wig repair and styling.  

Yes, I definitely have that doll multiplication problem...I knew I was going to end up with the 5 as a set (and anymore that Volks might release from that franchise *crosses fingers*) and maybe some in-character clothes but absolutely had not planned on any others.  Ruby was a complete accident and Claire....Claire was a Mandarake purchase because Ruby needs a friend right? And I wanted someone I was more comfortable modding and taking outside.  Because Claire was already modified a little (and I really liked the look) it was easier for me to change things around (like making that first stroke on new paper) and explore vinyl maintenance and construction.  Been sorely, sorely tempted with Kos-Mos, 2B, Icons and Miku/Snow Miku but have resisted thus far.

I have a few 1/6 scale folk dolls, fashion dolls and figures but nothing on topic I think.  Still exploring that area; any recommendations?  Places to learn and explore?

Edited by TomatoCultivator
Formatting

Dollvari

I know some about the anime like 1/6 scale stuff:

If you want to build a custom doll Parabox is a one stop shop. The have a very nice website with tons of info, tutorials & large selection

Obitsu & Azone also offer a range of body and heads to make custom dolls.

Warning many of these sites sell awesome stuff other than dolls, not responsible if you end up with extra cool stuff in your cart😆

For new dolls, new clothing & new parts you can check

Hobbysearch (they are also good for research they keep entries for past releases) (They also do pre-orders on new items)

Hobbylink Japan (They also do pre-orders on new items)

These places have New & used items

Amiami (Sells new & used) (They also do pre-orders on new items)

Mandarake 

Dollyteria (Sells new & used)

I like Obitsu, Azone & Parabox a lot of options

Dollce & Mamachapp (You would have to use a proxy to get stuff from these two. I normally like to get them second hand at some of the above stores)

For the scale accessories Re-ment & others on Mandarake

Azone brand accessories & others on Hobbysearch & Hobbylink Japan

Also if you like the more realistic dolls Hobbysearch, Hobbylink Japan & Mandarake are good to look at.

I know some about the anime like 1/6 scale stuff:

If you want to build a custom doll Parabox is a one stop shop. The have a very nice website with tons of info, tutorials & large selection

Obitsu & Azone also offer a range of body and heads to make custom dolls.

Warning many of these sites sell awesome stuff other than dolls, not responsible if you end up with extra cool stuff in your cart😆

For new dolls, new clothing & new parts you can check

Hobbysearch (they are also good for research they keep entries for past releases) (They also do pre-orders on new items)

Hobbylink Japan (They also do pre-orders on new items)

These places have New & used items

Amiami (Sells new & used) (They also do pre-orders on new items)

Mandarake 

Dollyteria (Sells new & used)

I like Obitsu, Azone & Parabox a lot of options

Dollce & Mamachapp (You would have to use a proxy to get stuff from these two. I normally like to get them second hand at some of the above stores)

For the scale accessories Re-ment & others on Mandarake

Azone brand accessories & others on Hobbysearch & Hobbylink Japan

Also if you like the more realistic dolls Hobbysearch, Hobbylink Japan & Mandarake are good to look at.