Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
That_Dollfie_Dude

Volks Super Dollfie Charlotte

That_Dollfie_Dude

I've never had a resin doll, but I am very tempted by this new Charlotte.  Look at her adorable outfit!

• Like 3

BeyondTime
2 hours ago, Prowess_dollie said:

I've never had a resin doll, but I am very tempted by this new Charlotte.  Look at her adorable outfit!

All three of them are really nice. Lucia was tempting, but I’m going to resist. 

With resins the elastic makes posing less dynamic than vinyls, so you have to work with what gravity and tension allow. I do suggest a good sturdy stand, because they are more susceptible to damage from falls. I have three of them and no regrets, so if you really like her go for it.  

• Like 3

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

OccultBeast

Charlotte is so so cute, and I love her stockings and boots especially!  Lieselotte is my partner's Holy Grail doll, so this release is especially tormenting as they're not able to splurge on her right now.  I think if you really love her and are able to, you should absolutely go for it!

1 hour ago, BeyondTime said:

With resins the elastic makes posing less dynamic than vinyls, so you have to work with what gravity and tension allow.

I think this is a really interesting take, as I personally think it's easier to pose resin dolls over vinyl!  Did you happen to own resin or vinyl first?  I personally have had resins for a long time, and I kind of appreciate the weightiness of them and having gravity on my side for posing.  Sometimes I still find it a little awkward to pose my DDs, since they'll hold practically any position you put their limbs in but they can be a struggle because their overall weight can cause them to 'crumple' in some poses (or at least my DDIII body- maybe Miku's wig is also weighing her down, actually...).  I'm also still getting used to the shoulder joints especially, whereas resin joints are very smooth and are easy to move/rotate.

There are limitations to resins, of course, but you can do things like hot glue sueding in the joints to increase friction, or inserting wires into the elastic channels to help limbs keep poses better.  Resins are definitely worth it no matter what in my opinion, and so so beautiful.  They're also less likely to stain than vinyl, which is a blessing~

• Like 1

Selenae

Oh my god. Charlotte, my love. I've longed for her for so long. But I'll have to admire her from afar as always, as I've permanently moved on from resin dolls at this point.

@OccultBeast Personally, I was resin first. Sure, resin has weight and smooth joints on its side, but those are its only upsides, imo. And after discovering vinyl, there's no way I'm going back. No restringing, replacement parts readily available, no sudden snapping back of joints when trying to pose, no fragile parts or full dolls straight up cracking due to thin resin, no nerve-wracking months-long wait for every doll you order new, unless you do a specific pre-order.

And far as dolls crumpling goes, I've only ever had this issue with my past resin dolls, because the elastic tension was oh-so-slightly off. I don't have time for that garbage, lul.

• Like 1

BeyondTime
1 hour ago, OccultBeast said:

I think this is a really interesting take, as I personally think it's easier to pose resin dolls over vinyl!  Did you happen to own resin or vinyl first?

Vinyl, and what I am specifically what referring to is the ease with which vinyls can hold very active poses. For example with my resins I’ve found there are a lot of arm poses that just won’t work either because the tension snaps them back or gravity pulls them down. Vinyls will hold any pose their range of movement allows and can hold it for months on end. 

• Like 1

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

monkeypizzasonic

These girls are gorgeous, and if Elsa wasn't already announced I'd be seriously tempted by Lucia...but Elsa.😅

Regarding posing, it also depends on size and how the company made them. My 1/6 dolls, kid delf and 65 delf can hold poses just fine, while my older Volks msd/sd, Iplehouse sd and msd Resinsouls are floppy as heck.

• Like 2

OccultBeast
9 hours ago, Selenae said:

Personally, I was resin first. Sure, resin has weight and smooth joints on its side, but those are its only upsides, imo. And after discovering vinyl, there's no way I'm going back. No restringing, replacement parts readily available, no sudden snapping back of joints when trying to pose, no fragile parts or full dolls straight up cracking due to thin resin, no nerve-wracking months-long wait for every doll you order new, unless you do a specific pre-order.

I think, depending on the doll, resins can have extremely beautiful body sculpts and just have really lovely body shape silhouettes, which is either a pro or a con, depending on how clothed you like to keep your dolls lol  But you're absolutely right, there are a lot of... difficulties with ordering and owning resins.  Oh the amount of pinched fingers from trying to switch hands or fully restring dolls...

8 hours ago, BeyondTime said:

Vinyl, and what I am specifically what referring to is the ease with which vinyls can hold very active poses. For example with my resins I’ve found there are a lot of arm poses that just won’t work either because the tension snaps them back or gravity pulls them down. Vinyls will hold any pose their range of movement allows and can hold it for months on end. 

That's so true.  It has been very wild for me to have the ability to put them in poses and just... keep them that way.  There's no fear of slippage or snapping, so they've definitely outshone my resins for their display-ability.  Our DollZone Carter meanwhile is known for his incredible ability to constantly punch himself in the face every time you look at him...

1 hour ago, monkeypizzasonic said:

Regarding posing, it also depends on size and how the company made them. My 1/6 dolls, kid delf and 65 delf can hold poses just fine, while my older Volks msd/sd, Iplehouse sd and msd Resinsouls are floppy as heck.

Very true.  Double-jointed bodies will always out-perform single jointed bodies, and things like Fairyland dolls will always out-perform most other resins.  It really does just depend on the body.

Irulazuli
On 4/8/2021 at 5:31 PM, OccultBeast said:

I think, depending on the doll, resins can have extremely beautiful body sculpts and just have really lovely body shape silhouettes, which is either a pro or a con, depending on how clothed you like to keep your dolls lol

I am primarily a resin collector because of this - variety of sizes, and face and body sculpts. Whether you're looking for something more realistic, anime or strictly doll-like, you can 100% find it in resin form. Part of it is because resin is easier to produce dolls with by a single artist, I believe.

Also, more regularily available boy dolls :P

I personally am planning to order Lieselotte 100% (wanted her since her first release). If I had more money, I would probably be severely tempted by Lucia, but alas. I am very happy that Volks is offering preorder for them - both are very expensive second-hand...

• Like 2

OccultBeast
3 hours ago, Irulazuli said:

I am primarily a resin collector because of this - variety of sizes, and face and body sculpts. Whether you're looking for something more realistic, anime or strictly doll-like, you can 100% find it in resin form. Part of it is because resin is easier to produce dolls with by a single artist, I believe.

Also, more regularily available boy dolls 😛

I personally am planning to order Lieselotte 100% (wanted her since her first release). If I had more money, I would probably be severely tempted by Lucia, but alas. I am very happy that Volks is offering preorder for them - both are very expensive second-hand...

Yes!  You really can't beat the variety resin brings, especially when you look into artist dolls, too.

I'm so glad you're getting her, then!  Her secondhand prices truly are The Stuff of Legends.  We've been collecting off and on for over ten years now and could never find the time and money to commit to her.  I hope she brings you all the joy in the world when she arrives!

Irulazuli

Thank you! And yeah, the prices are terrifying 😅 For me it was also never the right moment to even attempt to buy her (due to money etc.), so I'm glad for this release! I hope it means more preorders for resins in the future (especially those ridiculously expensive in aftermarket...).

• Like 1

jazijaz

I want Charlotte  ;-; she's been my bjd grail for so long but it's too expensive. I can't afford her right now. 

Also, I don't want more BJDs either. I've collected BJDs since 2005. They're amazing when you give them the maintenance they need or else they will get floppy and unusable. I loved pulling them apart and restringing them, I loved working on them but that's something I can't do anymore so my current BJDs sit beautifully all day long because they can't hold a pose and let alone stand. 

That's the only thing I don't like about BJDs whereas Dollfie Dreams don't need all that maintenance, they stand very well on their own, they hold poses no matter how many years pass by. This is why I prefer DDs over BJDs now but if BJDs wouldn't need so much string maintenance I think I would prefer BJDs because of the variety of faces and bodies (and more boys).

The only bad thing I find for DDs is the stains but then again, I found out that they disappear by themselves over the time so it's not really a big problem. DDs are amazing for people who like anime faces because it's hard to get something more realistic. 

I love both types of dolls but DDs seem more convenient right now. 

Congrats  everyone getting Charlotte! or any of the girls, they're all stunning! 

Akito

I've never been fond of Volks' bjd sculpts but that Charlotte is nice! Based on the photo I would've actually guessed that it's Leeke doll

Shamrock

Lucia is my favorite, but they all are gorgeous.  I have been tempted to buy a resin, but want a male one.

• Like 1