Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

kaorimi

any kinds of pens/markers for faceups?

kaorimi

hi everyone! (ノ ´ ヮ `) ノ *: ・ ゚ i'm a new faceup artist currently trying to find a method that works for me, and i had a question for you all...

when i first bought supplies for a faceup from volks, one of the items i bought was this ZM Make Pen that's intended to be used for marking off where you want the faceup to go before actually going in with paints. however... something i found while working was that a lot of the time i actually ended up going ahead and doing an entire faceup with just this lovely little pen, and i'm actually finding it substantially easier to use in general than paints and watercolor pencils. it's just so easy to work with and i found that the precision i got when working with it was amazing. (´ ε `) ♡ however, the issue with this is that the pen is listed as being able to be "wiped away with a little bit of water" on the product page, meaning that it's likely to come off easily and i doubt i'd be able to seal it properly either, so i doubt i'm actually going to be able to continue doing faceups with this outside of just practising... ( ̄ω ̄;)    

although i'm aware regular markers and pens aren't great for use on vinyl due to their tendency to stain, i'm wondering if anyone here has used any kind of marker/pen tool for faceups that hasn't stained? i've seen something online about "watercolor brush pens" that made me curious, but i really have no idea what would work for this kind of project... 

• Like 1

Jezrah

I have a set of acrylic paint pens that I have used a couple of times. I can't say for sure whether they stain though, as I have no intention of wiping those faceups at this time. Keep in mind though that the tips of the pens are about the size of a normal "fine" sharpie, so they can't do super delicate work. I used a black pen on one of my boys, because he has a super chunky shounen style faceup anyway, and more recently I used a white pen to quickly add white highlight dots to one of my girls' cheeks. 

Since the paint pens can't do uber detailed work, for eyelashes and such I use high quality watercolor pencils. I outline the lashes in the pencil and then fill it in with paint. For crisp lines the amount of pigment vs binder material really matters. I use Derwent Inktense. They're pricey but you can get individual pencils in some places so I do that to replace the ones I use the most.

• Like 2

32717445532_3aa446bd94_m.jpg

kaorimi
12 hours ago, Jezrah said:

I have a set of acrylic paint pens that I have used a couple of times. I can't say for sure whether they stain though, as I have no intention of wiping those faceups at this time. Keep in mind though that the tips of the pens are about the size of a normal "fine" sharpie, so they can't do super delicate work.

i've actually never heard of acrylic pens before but they sound like they'd be great for doing the "bolder" details of a faceup! i'm strongly considering trying out a combination of those + watercolor pens, maybe on a cheaper obitsu head to begin with just to see if they end up staining or not. (⌒_⌒;)