Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
Meowjima

So, I just did something really stupid.

Meowjima

Being the cheapskate that I am, I recently purchased an outfit on booth via buyee and couldn't justify paying more than what said outfit cost.  So  figured I'd at least buy a few things, or something else to consolidate the package and pay less for both (since that's what usually happens.  When I purchased Youmu the shipping was, for some reason, $10 less when I combined it with a head I won for shipping).  There was a huge drop of several older model DD2.  I figured I would snag one for under $150 or at that point and turn it into a project doll, especially since the dolls didn't look that bad save for some staining on the heads.  I wanted Kyoko, and there were two up, and I placed bids on both thinking if I was lucky, I might get one.

Well, I turned out getting both.  I really don't know if there would even have the market for a second one.

And if I intend to sell, should I not even both trying to stain treat the doll with remove-zit?

I'm going to be honest, I'm a little wary on how well off or worse off they'll be, as the listings aid both boxes were damaged, and the wigs do look rough, but beyond the light staining on their heads they do physically look okay.

Edited by Meowjima
  • Like 1

BeyondTime

With the DDII I’d be more worried about how worn the joints are. DDII bodies can be really floppy if they’ve had a lot of use. 

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Meowjima
1 hour ago, BeyondTime said:

With the DDII I’d be more worried about how worn the joints are. DDII bodies can be really floppy if they’ve had a lot of use. 

I'm worried, too.    A lot of people have said the frames are bad.  But I'd like to own at least one of each of the frames at ome point for their historical merit, at least.  But I figured, back when I only intended to have one, I could at the very least take it apart and upgrade it.  

BeyondTime
12 minutes ago, Meowjima said:

I'm worried, too.    A lot of people have said the frames are bad.  But I'd like to own at least one of each of the frames at ome point for their historical merit, at least.  But I figured, back when I only intended to have one, I could at the very least take it apart and upgrade it.

Not sure if coolcats ever made reenforcement parts for DDII, but if they did, then installing those tends to tighten up the joints. 

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

jadepixel

DD2 bodies are pretty tough and I never ran into the issue of cracked parts that the CoolCat pieces try to prevent. That said the arms and legs can get floppy. For arms at least you can easily install DD3 arms if you can find them - not sure if the most recent f-3 ones would work, though. I ended up doing the DD3 arm swap on my Yoko Littner body and I'm pretty happy with the upgrade :)

Edited by jadepixel

BeyondTime
20 minutes ago, jadepixel said:

DD2 bodies are pretty tough and I never ran into the issue of cracked parts that the CoolCat pieces try to prevent.

When I put the parts on DDIII it seems to make the arms and legs fit really tight, so I was thinking that it might be a trick you could use to tighten up a floppy DDII. 

• Like 1

baldylox

You already know my thoughts on all of this.  😉  I love the DD2 bodies and the 05 heads are gorgeous.  Congrats on landing both those girls!  

Billy

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

Meowjima

An update:  After looking at both listing's photos and comparing them to shots of the old DDH-05 character dolls, I have a very strong suspicion that it is not two Kyooko, but a Kyoko and a Yumi in a Kyoko box.  At first I thought she might have just had her wig n, but looking at the eyebrows/face-up, there's a definite difference.  

1a9c078.png

1a9c07c.png

One of the dolls, who I highly suspect is Yumi.

And now the other.  Face-ups are slightly different, and upon closer inspection, the eyes are different colors.

1a9c16f.png

• Like 2

Meowjima

Both girls arrived earlier this week. Unfortunately, I only got to take a peak at them when they arrived to make sure they were relatively okay.   No smells beyond a faint scent of old vinyl.  The only immediate defects beyond the staining was Yumi's neck being a little loose and her feet falling off a little too easily.  But otherwise, their arms moved and stayed in position, as did their legs.  Which is always a good sign.  I was surprised that their wigs stayed on their heads.   and when I pulled them both out this morning to get a better look at them, I got my answer.  

Both double-adhesive tape.  Black double adhesive tape.  As well as velcro.  Poor Kyoko seemed to get the brunt of the staining.  Which, as you can see, if in the outline of the seamlines of her DARK.  RED.  Wigcap.  Yumi's, despite being black, isn't nearly as bad.  There is also noticeable yellowing between the faces and the bodies  Though, the bodies might be yellow and it just worked in their favor?  Because in certain lighting, Kyoko looks like she could be flesh while Yumi looks like she could be the newer tan.

image2.jpg

image1.jpg

image0.jpg

The stains on their heads, however, are easily concealed with wigs.  Most wigs, in fact.  I debated whether I really wanted to bother trying to treat Kyoko's head, but given you can only really see it if she's bald, I held off.  For now, I opted to go wash/condition/air dry her wig overnight, while lamenting not doing the same for Yumi's because while it did look better with a quick brush, it definitely feels like there's some kind of hair product in it.  But I did put clothes on both of them.  The pencil set was purchased for Kyoko (the Karen hair is actually for one of my boy resin dolls), and Yumi really looked like she was capable of rocking an athletics/gym uniform.  

image1.jpgimage3.jpg

image4.jpg

image6.jpg

• Like 6

baldylox

Those two are absolute lookers!  I love them!  The style is just so cool with the older heads.  :)  <3 

Billy

galatia9

They're both the same sculpt as the DDH-05 head. I think they look great!! Kyoko is amazing in the pencil skirt set.

I'm so curious about their skintones. 

Linda S.

galatia9

DDH03 girl DDH07 x2 boys DDH06 girl DDH-05 x2 boys

DDH01 mod girl Saber Alter SqLab Tsubaki boy DDH-02 girl

Mio Honda Youmu Konpaku x2 boy twins

Also: DDS Lagla, Sheryl Nome, SmD Melody, SmD Eiji x2

baldylox
1 hour ago, galatia9 said:

They're both the same sculpt as the DDH-05 head. I think they look great!! Kyoko is amazing in the pencil skirt set.

I'm so curious about their skintones. 

Linda S.

galatia9

Yep both 05 girls for sure.  :)  As for the skin tones, Kyoko is WS.  She's the one on the left in the photo above.  The other one, Yumi, is a NS girl. 

And it seems that Yumi has found herself a new home already.  😉 

Billy

mayaiincho

Congrats on your doll :)

The newer doll bodies are almost better imo. Loose joints are easier to manage as volks added areas you can adjust joint tightness with a screw. If I could I'd replace all my dd2 and dd3 with the new f3. 

looking for - , Marisa Short Wig, full set Beatrice or default face + eyes & Sasara Fullset or default face + eyes.

Dollvari

Congrats, I own these two as well hope you enjoy. Yeah DDH-05 is great!!! (Not biased, owns 10@onion9@)

Definitely want to try and get all the body's, except the 1st MDD. Pretty cool we have 3 generations of bodies to choose from. I know the stuff in the wig you are talking about. I've purchased a few 2nd hand wigs, where it seemed like they went overboard in applying it.  It's nice that Volks & Azone offer products to care for the doll wigs.

• Like 1