Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
Plumo

Anime sculp?

Plumo

Don't know if the topic was created but, I notice Danny is slowly making more semi-realistic dolls than anime-faced dolls?

It is a little bit sad because I really like the anime-like =O

abs2891

I feel like he released something recently about this with a list of anime sculpts coming… but most of those seemed like there were going to be limited so…

Overall it definitely seems that there’s a preference for semi real 

Plumo
42 minutes ago, abs2891 said:

I feel like he released something recently about this with a list of anime sculpts coming… but most of those seemed like there were going to be limited so…

Overall it definitely seems that there’s a preference for semi real 

IKR? and I am still sad he does not sells milk type skin anymore =O

Not that I don't like semi-real, but I would like to pair up my dolls 

BeyondTime
2 hours ago, abs2891 said:

He did post something about that, but imo it dodged the question by focusing on upcoming licensed characters and glossed over the lack of anime faces in his standards. Even among his current in-development anime faces, only Prowess Blue has the classic big eyes of an anime character. The rest seem more along the lines of "inspired by the anime look" than actual anime heads.

• Like 1

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

abs2891
32 minutes ago, BeyondTime said:

He did post something about that, but imo it dodged the question by focusing on upcoming licensed characters and glossed over the lack of anime faces in his standards. Even among his current in-development anime faces, only Prowess Blue has the classic big eyes of an anime character. The rest seem more along the lines of "inspired by the anime look" than actual anime heads.

Yeah agreed - from what I recall it felt like, look, here’s anime *list of things that will be hard to get* and/or that are more hitting between semi-real and anime, like I don’t really feel that supergirl read that anime lol

It seems to me that they’ve shifted who they want to sell dolls to, and so the shift in style may be reflective of that (but could just as easily be a reflection of his current taste/whims lol)

BeyondTime
16 minutes ago, abs2891 said:

Yeah agreed - from what I recall it felt like, look, here’s anime *list of things that will be hard to get* and/or that are more hitting between semi-real and anime, like I don’t really feel that supergirl read that anime lol

Found it.

• Like 1

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

abs2891

Yeah, definitely doesn’t read like someone rushing to make more traditional, large eyed anime girls, especially not in standards.  Disappointing for those who like that style.

moerunamida

It wouldn't surprise me if he pulled a Danny and completely axed his anime line, because Volks sells anime designs.

• Haha 3

r75s0k.gifCircle (Towa) Yui (MDD) Coralie (MDD) 88 (Kizuna AI) 1rukij4.gif

Selenae

@Deyja Frankly, I'm surprised he hasn't already done this. 🙃

• Like 2

Plumo

Yup, I've been waiting for my bonus for me to buy one Felicity or Starlight for an year, and now I am not even sure he will produce them again..

Too bad, I will end up switching to semi-real or change to DDs..

Katsudon

Huh? Starlight was in stock recently for sure. She'll be back soon enough I think. (I haven't watched Felicity so closely. Some girls I keep an eye on for... reasons mwahaha)

If the anime girls were axed, there would be so much backlash! I think Danny is just excited by sparkly new things, and right now that's semi-real. Pretty sure he's aware how much people would be upset by losing the anime girls. Like rage-quit upset haha.

Edit: Felicity is in stock right now! 😄

Edited by Katsudon

davidd

We have no way of knowing what actual Culture Japan sales numbers are like. Surmising from reading various forums and Instagram posts, it often appears to me that the Smart Doll market is comprised of a relatively few customers who make multiple repeat purchases. Perhaps sales of the anime-style characters has peaked and is in decline. There are only so many ways to repaint the basic "Mirai" anime head. When new heads are introduced, there is probably a surge in buyers among the established customer base. My guess is that the anime-style heads are not selling as briskly as newer sculpts, so the focus is on introducing more variations on the new sculpts while reducing the number of anime-based characters.

I find it interesting that the licensed characters, like Supergirl, are based on the anime head sculpts. I suppose that should not be surprising, as these deals often take a number of years from concept to production, and Smart Doll has to produce what was agreed upon by the licensing entity, which means using the head sculpts that were agreed upon when the deal was signed.

I'd imagine a lot of people don't post their dolls on social media at all, or use tags very sparingly.

BeyondTime
1 minute ago, rainglow said:

I'd imagine a lot of people don't post their dolls on social media at all, or use tags very sparingly.

I’ve heard about the comments people get when they’ve made the mistake of allowing public comments on their doll photos on Flickr. 

Plumo
1 hour ago, Katsudon said:

Huh? Starlight was in stock recently for sure. She'll be back soon enough I think. (I haven't watched Felicity so closely. Some girls I keep an eye on for... reasons mwahaha)

If the anime girls were axed, there would be so much backlash! I think Danny is just excited by sparkly new things, and right now that's semi-real. Pretty sure he's aware how much people would be upset by losing the anime girls. Like rage-quit upset haha.

Edit: Felicity is in stock right now! 😄

ohh thank you, I will check her =O

1 hour ago, BeyondTime said:

I’ve heard about the comments people get when they’ve made the mistake of allowing public comments on their doll photos on Flickr. 

I meant this in the way that we can't just assume sales from posts. 😅 Certain people are vocal no matter what they're into.

Glitt3rgalaxy

I think the semi-real attracts new customers. People who might not be into watching anime, but the semi real dolls still have a touch of anime that make them cute and attactive.