Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

foo

Events calendar?

foo

Is it possible to add an event calendar? Something on the forum with the dates/times of the various Volks events & sales would be great. It could be wiki-like but honestly I'd just be happy with a non-editable (other than by moderators) calendar showing the dates and URLs to the relevant events (like the landing page at the Volks store web site). TBH this would also be great for bringing traffic to the forum.

I'm also interested in whenever Azone releases clothing, it could be helpful to have a calendar for each section (DD/SmD/Obitsu) if there's a lot of news.

Technically this could also be done with pinned posts, but that kinda sucks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OccultBeast

Oh, I absolutely second this motion.  That'd be so great to have!  I think all of us would be more than happy to contribute to keeping something like that up to date for everyone.

• Like 1

BeyondTime

The forum has a calendar, the mods just need to add events to it. The catch is the dateline, it doesn’t look like the calendar supports time-zone corrections.

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

BeyondTime

I added a few sample events to see if the format works. 

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Monty

I had been wondering for a while if the calendar feature was ever actually going to be utilised. I think it's a good feature but I have some feedback. On desktop, although I like that the events show up on the side of the screen in bold so you notice them, I do need to scroll down as far as the Obitsu board to see them. It's worse on mobile, I need to scroll right to the bottom of the page. If I was only coming here for Dollfie Dream news, I might not see it at all. Could it be potentially placed higher?

That said, while I did comment on the actual calendar as well, the dates are also incorrect. The July collection is on the 17th JST, not the 18th.

I think it would be good to also use this for things like preorder start and end dates - I often see people talking about missing the deadlines for preorders.

If anyone knows if there actually is any schedule to Azone clothing releases I'd like to know because it always seemed to me that they'd show them in their flyers and then they'd suddenly be online a few weeks later, but the flyers would never actually say when they'd go on sale. As for smartdoll...apparently expecting release dates for anything is employee abuse according to Mr Choo now, so I don't expect we'd have much to add, although there does seem to be at least 1 day's notice for licensed characters.

Tierparkzone
3 hours ago, BeyondTime said:

The catch is the dateline, it doesn’t look like the calendar supports time-zone corrections.

39 minutes ago, Monty said:

That said, while I did comment on the actual calendar as well, the dates are also incorrect. The July collection is on the 17th JST, not the 18th.

I am under the impression the calendar defaults to the time zone of the one who places the event in there. Then the times are displayed for every user in their local timezone.

Because the times for the Japanese events (when viewed from a computer in Japan) make no sense at all. Like 2AM of the next day.

So if either @BeyondTime or @baldylox place an event in the calendar, it may be best if they calculate the event times in their timezone and enter these values. Then it should display correctly for everybody. This way additional relative times in the details should not be necessary anymore (giving the start/end times of the timezone the event is in, may still be worth it as everyone only sees their local equivalent otherwise).

But it's weird the timezone can't be selected manually, when creating an event.

BeyondTime
6 hours ago, Monty said:

5 hours ago, Tierparkzone said:

I am under the impression the calendar defaults to the time zone of the one who places the event in there. Then the times are displayed for every user in their local timezone.

I had set the events starts at 10:00 AM on the 17th to reflect the start of the event in Japan. Check them now and see if they make sense. It’s great if it performs the conversion for us, but I saw no indication of that in the interface.  

6 hours ago, Monty said:

On desktop, although I like that the events show up on the side of the screen in bold so you notice them, I do need to scroll down as far as the Obitsu board to see them. It's worse on mobile, I need to scroll right to the bottom of the page. If I was only coming here for Dollfie Dream news, I might not see it at all. Could it be potentially placed higher?

I moved the widget up above the images feed, but I don’t want to move it over the posts feed, because I think that’s useful to all the members. 

BeyondTime

Ok, messed around a bit more and got the DD gathering event properly created. I also tested time zones by setting my iPad to Tokyo, and it shows the times properly.  It’s also a lot easier to set the events up if I set the time zone to Tokyo while I’m adding them.

• Thanks 1

BeyondTime
7 hours ago, Tierparkzone said:

Yes, the times now make sense for me as well.

Ok, great.

Here are some suggested guidelines. @baldylox needs the opportunity to weigh on this, and of course @Averis gets the final say on anything.

--

Events are posted at the mod staff's discretion.

Events need to be on-topic for DollDreaming.com, or a doll related event of significant enough relevance to the DollDreaming.com community that posting it provides a service to our members.

We need at least 24 hours notice prior to the event in order to post it, and at least 24 hours notice on any modifications  

The event should be confirmed as proceeding before it’s added to the calendar.

The event can't violate the forum guidelines.

Suggested events should be posted in this thread.

--

What I am thinking here is that events really need to be vinyl doll related, but I don't think we should be so strict that we can't post certain events, like the sale of the Disney Frozen dolls, that so many members are going for that we would do them a disservice by not posting the event times. Ultimately it's up to the mods to determine if the event is relevant to the forum membership.

Of course we want to post SmartDoll events whenever we reasonably can, but Danny's pop-up events are going to be near impossible to post and maintain on the Calendar app. By the time we even see a notice about those sales the dolls may already be sold out, so folks are probably best served by posting those in the relevant thread and people can use the notifications feature to monitor the thread.

We can't keep track of every release or doll event, so we'll need to rely on the membership to let us know what's up and coming.

• Like 2

BeyondTime
2 hours ago, Tierparkzone said:

Event suggestion:

Added. 

baldylox

Whatever works for me, I'm easy.  😉  I'm sure Averis is fine with it as well. 

Billy

• Thanks 1

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

foo

We could use a tag (like 'event') that people can add to News posts for things that people want in the calendar. I don't know how many people would do that unless they read this specific message I'm writing here (ーー')

It'd be best if the calendar page and/or the editor had a blurb for suggested tags so people would know about it.

aililysan

Sounds like fun!

Edited by aililysan

BeyondTime
On 7/6/2021 at 8:32 PM, foo said:

It'd be best if the calendar page and/or the editor had a blurb for suggested tags so people would know about it.

It does look like it’s possible to add a forum element above the calendar, but what could be added there to serve the purpose of an info header is Averis area of expertise. 

BeyondTime
7 hours ago, Tierparkzone said:

Event suggestion:

I-Doll 63 is on November 13th 2021, 12:00-16:30 (JST) at the Tokyo Ryuutsuu Center

https://www.idollweb.net/tokyo-63/

Done.