Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Kaya

Should I invest in Dollfie Dream dolls?

Kaya

Hi all!

Before I started doll collecting, I came across Dollfie Dream on my trip to Japan and ever since then, I've always wanted one. That was over 7 years ago and after some years of thinking about it, I decided to get one but then I found out that Smart Doll existed. I did some research on Smart Doll and it seemed more durable and appealing compared to Dollfies (to me of course). Of course when she did arrive, I was not disappointed. I absolutely adore her! I still look at Dollfie Dream dolls across the internet because I think they look absolutely stunning and even keep myself updated with the limited dolls.

I've had my smart doll for about a year now (nearly 2) and I was finally thinking of investing in Dollfie Dream dolls (mainly the collaboration dolls but the standard ones look irresistible too). I've done some research and found a few posts and videos of owners comparing the two but it still isn't enough to convince me to get one. Although I've always dreamed of owning one, I'm worried that I might end up loving her less than my Smart Doll.

I would love to hear the opinion of various owners! Do y'all think I should get one? Any Pros and Cons to be mindful of before purchasing one?

Thanks in advance!

Mizuumi-no-Otome

As someone who has owned both at various times, I definitely prefer DD to SmD overall. While I love the torso design of Smart Doll, I prefer every other feature of the DD/DDS body; the sculpting of the arms and legs is more fluid than SmD (imo), I find that SmDs tend to look very stiff in certain poses because of how straight and tube-like the arms are. Plus, DDs can actually sit lol. 

I do love SmD faces (and I don't mind the 'flatness' that bothers some people) but IRL I find that Volks faceups are much more expressive and detailed, with nuances in the shading that give them a lot more life than my Smart Dolls ever did, and the sculpting of each head is excellent. 

Overall I find DDs to have a lot more personality and life to them, but I do love Smart Dolls. I actually have trouble comparing the two as they are such different 'vibes' and I go to them for different things. 

Edited by Mizuumi-no-Otome
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Tierparkzone

I did a write up of the major differences between SmD, DD and Obitsu a while back:

Dollfie Dreams feel and handle a bit different than Smart Dolls, but are just as fun. If you have a particular DD character or face that you fancy, I'd say go for it.

The one thing you likely will notice with a DD when coming from Smart Dolls is the lack of the stand connector socket at the back. So I recommend getting a stand If you don't want to keep her sitting most of the time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

BeyondTime

IMO the new DD-f3 body is superior to the current SmD body, and the DDIII is pretty comparable to the current SmD body. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

puxlavoix

DDs are absolutely worth it. But not just that, they're the real deal! 

Go for it, you'll never look back! 😊

• Thanks 1

1505193317_sig1copy.png.892dcb9d95734be68d4282d5f06843bb.png1495205582_sig2copy.png.b9f2cb50f3c66e638bd5c8a75bd10688.png

Silent

Personally I feel that second-hand market is more accesible and has better prices than smartdoll second-hand market.

Even dollfie dream spare parts are less random in accesibility I would say. Not saying it is impossible to get spare parts for smartdolls, if you are in USA the market is big enough. (I often see US only sales) 

Plus, you have more choices for body (from kiddo through teen/older teen to adult) with dollfie dreams.

I have one obitsu/dollfie hybrid, two dollfie dreams and one smart doll. +one dollfie dream work in progress (and planning obitsu 40 hybrid maybe in future)

Sometimes I have mood for that doll and sometimes for another one.

Yes, you are right, Volks have many licensed dolls. 

One for try is not a bad idea. :)

• Thanks 1