The Ecchizonans

Zoom Meetup

Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

MaleficentMrsofEvil

Looking for recommendations - what vinyl colors would you like to see?

MaleficentMrsofEvil

I've been promising to dye some extra vinyl parts for a while now, and I've got quite a few Obitsu parts lying around. (several shin pieces, some joints, some hands, and a couple torso parts - I think I've got "whitey" and "natural" colors.)

So - what colors are you looking for? A darker tan? A chocolate brown? Any fantasy colors? The only fantasy color that I think is going to be extremely difficult, if not impossible, is blue. The issue is the underlying peach/pink color in the vinyl makes blue dye just about impossible to stick. But I might be able to turn a body grayish using blue dye. 

Thought I should ask before I start dyeing everything to see if I can get a wide range of requested colors (and post tutorials, so you could try the same at home. I'm not looking to start a side business dyeing other folks' dolls, thankyouverymuch).

• Like 3

monkeypizzasonic

I'm thinking warm colors (fall mood I guess), so maybe a nice reddish brown? Or maybe a bright pink or orange?

• Like 1

MaleficentMrsofEvil
16 hours ago, monkeypizzasonic said:

I'm thinking warm colors (fall mood I guess), so maybe a nice reddish brown? Or maybe a bright pink or orange?

Okay - so there's two ways to dye something.

There's the diluted method, where you add a few drops per cup of water. This would give the vinyl an orange hue - a light orange cast over the original color.

Then there's the full strength method where you add all the dye.

So, my question to you is - do you want a light orange hue? Or do you want ORANGE that you can see from a block away?

monkeypizzasonic

Heck it, make ORANGE.

Bright neon chaos doll lol.

• Haha 1

MaleficentMrsofEvil

Alrighty, one pumpkin doll coming up.

Anyone else? Otherwise, I'm going to go for a caramel and a chocolate color. 

Maybe a bright pink color too.

Silent

Hello MaleficentMrsoftEvil.

I would be curious about light purple (or light pink-purple) color, similiar to Night Elves from Warcraft universum.

I am not requesting for full Night Elf color spectrum ofcourse, that would be insane to request. 

Also, I am curious about your know-how in comparisson of other know-hows from our forum. :)

• Like 1

MaleficentMrsofEvil

@Silent - not a gamer (sorry), but after a quick Google image search, I must say: hmm... An interesting choice. I will give it a whirl and see what happens! I ordered some purple and some gray dye - I'm curious to see if I need to add gray, or if the blue will interact with the underlying peach/orange and create a gray cast all on its own.

To be continued!

Greeeeen! Especially light green, like Frankie from Monster High.

I'm not sure how doable it is because of the pink undertone you mentioned though..

@onion19@

Maia

Yellow, like banana yellow or cherry red.

Edited by Mars

SleepingElf
19 hours ago, rainglow said:

Greeeeen! Especially light green, like Frankie from Monster High.

I'm not sure how doable it is because of the pink undertone you mentioned though..

@onion19@

Can I second this?? Frankie's green would be spooky fun to see!

MaleficentMrsofEvil

@rainglow and @SleepingElf I will certainly try! I wonder if I could do it as a two-step process - maybe yellow first, let it dry, and then go for green? 

My other dye colors are coming in tomorrow. Then it's time to experiment!

So far:

ORANGE

Lavender/pink-purple with gray undertones (really excited to try this one)

Banana Yellow

Cherry red (this should be easy)

Greeeeeen

Brown (my choice)

Silent

Hello @MaleficentMrsofEvil how are you? :)

It has been some time. I was just curious how turned out any color from list of colors mentioned in post above? :) 

I hope I am not rushing you, if so, I am very sorry, I am just excited for any dyeing experiments in general. Hope you are allright and well. 😉 

Edited by Silent

MaleficentMrsofEvil

@Silent - sooooo, I have a confession.

Well, first, let me apologize: I am so sorry for the extraordinarily long delay.

My confession: I've been procrastinating big time on dyeing the doll. It's the only Obitsu I have, and I'm a little hesitant to dye the only one in my collection. I've been trying to buy another one, and the bodies are just constantly sold out. Every time I get a notification from Hobby Japan or Parabox, I excitedly log in - and they're already gone. Poof. 

BUT! Good news! I just sniped a used body (with lots of extra parts!) off DOA, and (BONUS!) it's already stained. So it needs repaired. 

I should have it in a week. 

Edited to add: I also recently discovered that my dedicated dolly modification pot leaks. Sigh. If it's not one thing, it's another. 

Edited by MaleficentMrsofEvil
adding additional information
  • Like 1