Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

SonataAvalon

Dumbest Doll Story?

SonataAvalon

The title may confuse you.

But... what is the weirdest story involving a doll of yours? Like losing a doll and just forgetting it existed? Did anyone steal a doll of yours? Go off and tell me your tales! 

Weltfremd

So... maybe this is the right place for my little story? I bought a dream doll of mine a few months ago. Alice Kuonji. When I received her she was pristine, no stains to be seen. She is really beautiful and I really like her. Her previous owner gave me 3 anti-stain suites and a cloth wigcap with her. Welp... when I received her I put her in an outfit that never stained before. It's the "Strawberry Chocolate Lolita" Outfit from Volks. I have to say I left the hobby for a few years and last time I had the ouftit on a doll it was on Mariko (Student Ver.), so both dolls share the semi-white body. When I wanted to change her outfit I saw the most gruesome brown spot on her belly and my heart dropped. Why did this dress stain suddenly?? I had it on Mariko for months and no stain to be seen. I still don't get it but oh well. I changed her outfit but put an anti-staining suit on her. This outfit was one that never stained as well and which I had on dolls for months but it seems I never had the dolls touch it with their hands, because when I wanted to change her outfit again I saw her hands having dark spots. The most mysterious stain is on her head though.. I put a dark brown wig on her, with a wigcap though, of course.. and when I wanted to change her wig I saw a small dark dot on her forehead... like... WHY??? HOW???? I USED A WIG CAP! And that's when I called her cursed. I'm so sorry for her previous owner because when I got her you could see how good they took care of her and here I am ruining this doll in mere months lol. She isn't "ruined" because I can treat her with rescue cream but still, it really hurt lol

Edited by Weltfremd
  • Like 1

Oculae

I bought my Dollfie Icon secondhand, and the only reason this is a dumb story and not a horrific one is because I eventually got her. 🤣

The person I bought her from, who I'll call M, is based in China, and is someone I've bought from numerous times in the past with no incident. I didn't think anything of her location at the time, partially because it had been a while since I'd bought from her and my memory is terrible, mostly because I basically scrambled to buy and pay for this doll all within the space of a few hours - the post went up the same day the lotto results were announced, and she was being sold for her retail price. Obviously I had to scramble, lest someone else snag her.

I paid for her without incident and sat down to wait for her to ship. And waited. Once other people here and on FB started posting about their dolls showing up, I sent M another message asking if Volks had shipped the package yet, and that's when the circus music started to play.

Turns out, due to her not being based in NA, she couldn't enter the lottery due to Volks rules. So she used a proxy. Understandable so far. Problem is, it wasn't any kind of official proxy, it was some person she knew from a BJD groupchat she was in, who we'll call C, because she was based in California. C entered the lottery twice for M, won a Mint Icon AND the Lilac I'd bought, and panicked because she didn't realize that Volks is obligated to charge Cali residents sales tax for any purchases made...even if the purchase is $2k worth of dolls that aren't even hers. (We're going to ignore the "multiple entries is totally violating the rules" bit here, as it was nothing I was aware of at the time and nothing I wanted to get involved in anyway.)

The clown music really starts at this point, because rather than take the tax out of her proxy fee, or even accept M's offer to pay the tax for her, C decides to avoid the tax entirely...by getting another proxy involved. She contacts her friend F, who is a student, I'm assuming college student, in Oregon, and sets the address on the package containing both dolls to F's address. M does not have any of F's contact information, she has to go through C to tell F anything or hear back from F. M appraised me of this whole situation when I sent her the message asking for a shipping status, and let me know that F will tell C, who will tell her, as soon as the dolls arrive. They'll be shipped off to each of us from Portland. I'm mad at the clownery, but I trust this seller to get this doll or a refund to me no matter what, and it all seems to be going well right now, so whatever.

EXCEPT a couple days later, M comes in and tells me that I need to help her, because F completely missed the package delivery, lost the missed delivery slip that UPS gave her, and neither she nor C wants to take responsibility for our Icons sitting in a UPS locker in a hardware store just outside of Portland. F won't even go pick them up, because she's apparently "too busy" to fix her own mistake. 😬

I go and make a UPS account, and after a lot of back and forth, we eventually decide that the proxies suck and UPS won't do anything for us without the slip that F lost, so we arrange to get the dolls returned to Volks, leaving me praying for either my doll or a refund while M sends Volks some emails to change the address to mine. I've shipped a 60cm internationally before, I'm ready to do it again if I can quit being 4 proxies deep. 😂

Miraculously, after being provided proof that M lives at my address (go go Photoshop!!! This is so unethical but it's not my Volks account so who cares!!!), Volks is kind enough to make M pay the shipping fee AGAIN, and the dolls finally ship to my house. I take the day off on the day they're supposed to arrive, and am standing at the door when a very confused UPS guy with a very large volks box shows up.

He checks the address once more, with the extremely Chinese name on it, and just awkwardly stares at me, who is Very White and Not Chinese, for a moment. "Is this, uh...for someone who used to live here, or...?"

And with my most convincing smile, "Yup! I know how to get it to her! Let me sign for it please, thank you!!!"

He let me sign for it. My Icon had gone through so much and taken two plane rides and three car rides to get here, but she was here at last. And after all that, I was able to ship M's Mint Icon off to her (EMS, of course, after all that) with no issue. And we both left each other stellar reviews for surviving proxy hell together. Definitely my DUMBEST secondhand tale.

Always buy dolls from people who have them in-hand, folk. Don't be like me. 🤣

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

tumblr_o9govtKpFv1v9twgko1_400.gif.eae368d3c0bfc2a75087167170705ec2.gifPlease ping me when replying!

BeyondTime
3 hours ago, Oculae said:

(We're going to ignore the "multiple entries is totally violating the rules" bit here, as it was nothing I was aware of at the time and nothing I wanted to get involved in anyway.)

You can enter twice, just not for the same item. I am pretty sure Volks USAs store won’t even allow a person to input two entries for an item you can only buy one of. If you add two to the cart the quantity gets set to one, and if you try to input two of the item on two separate orders orders when you try to input the second order you get told you already have the item on order. 

Think of it like this, you can buy one of the item, then you have to go to the back of the line and start over to buy a second, and that way other people have a fair chance to buy one of them too. That idea of a fair chance for everyone defines how their cart system works. 

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

SonataAvalon
6 hours ago, Weltfremd said:

The most mysterious stain is on her head though.. 

I CAN FEEL THIS PAIN 

bubblysoda

Entered a Volks lottery thinking I would never win one doll but ended up winning both 😅

• Haha 1

moerunamida

Nothing specific, but purchased a doll once or twice and immediately after purchase thought, "Oh, why in the hell did I just buy that?!" I think everyone can relate to that at least once in this hobby. FOMO is real.

• Like 2

r75s0k.gifCircle (Towa) Yui (MDD) Coralie (MDD) 88 (Kizuna AI) 1rukij4.gif

ragnamuffin

My dumb doll story is winning one of my grail dolls on YJA and not being too concerned about the markup because I thought I could pay using PayPay (a QR code payment method integrated with the Yahoo Japan shopping system) and would get the difference back in points (which can be used like normal money).

But when I tried to pay, it kept giving me an error. I couldn’t figure out what the problem was and there was nothing helpful online so I just gave up and did a convenience store payment.

Turns out I had upper limits on how much I could spend at once (that I easily could have changed if I’d known!) which I only figured out months later.

I still cry myself to sleep knowing I basically lined that scalper’s pockets and didn’t get any discounts or points from such an expensive purchase 😭

Edited by ragnamuffin

SonataAvalon
On 12/6/2021 at 9:45 PM, bubblysoda said:

Entered a Volks lottery thinking I would never win one doll but ended up winning both 😅

I would not be surprised if someone here bought two instead of one and did a form of giveaway. Also, new question time.

2 times the square root of that number, and then times the power of 5. 

I'm no math teacher. 

• Like 1

ChrisFhey

I suppose my weirdest doll thing is that I bought a Resin doll at some point because I thought she was pretty (still do, mind you), and then ended up leaving her boxed for over 7 years.

In my defence: I had no space in my room, so I couldn't really put her anywhere. I actually only unboxed her this year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

polarbearqueen
31 minutes ago, ChrisFhey said:

I suppose my weirdest doll thing is that I bought a Resin doll at some point because I thought she was pretty (still do, mind you), and then ended up leaving her boxed for over 7 years.

In my defence: I had no space in my room, so I couldn't really put her anywhere. I actually only unboxed her this year.

I guess that's similar to how some people get certain collectable dolls like holiday Barbies or things like that to keep in their box for display purposes, but also I guess you can't really display bjds like that

ChrisFhey
3 hours ago, polarbearqueen said:

I guess that's similar to how some people get certain collectable dolls like holiday Barbies or things like that to keep in their box for display purposes, but also I guess you can't really display bjds like that

I suppose so, although in my case things usually stay boxed not because I want to display them that way, but because I do not have the space to put them anywhere. 😄

Bellatrix

Welp. My dumbest doll story probably involved and still involves my very favourite doll - Beatrice, from Umineko no Naku Koro ni.

I like her so much that I own 3: one with her default dress, one with her alternative dress, one custom.

The dumb part comes when I basically carry on buying and selling a 4th Beatrice (this happened at least 3 times in the past, with the 4th time being in the very last few days).

This happens because I like her so much that I enjoy having an extra one (with her default face up) to wear casual clothes - but I can't afford having 4 dolls with the same head, both financially and in terms of space.

So I just go on and sell the spare one, thinking that my custom doll will suffice.

This is what I keep telling myself until I find a decently priced one for sale, and the dumb cycle starts over.

Edited by Bellatrix
  • Haha 2

df64a03a777dc9f9a060ef6b286773b3-1.gif    ✩ 𝓥𝓲𝓬𝓽𝓲𝓶 𝓸𝓯 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓑𝓮𝓵𝓵𝓪𝓭𝓸𝔁 ✩

SonataAvalon
11 minutes ago, Bellatrix said:

This is what I keep telling myself until I find a decently priced one for sale, and the dumb cycle starts over.

Officially naming this the Belladox

• Haha 2

Bellatrix
12 minutes ago, SonataAvalon said:

Officially naming this the Belladox

I actually really like this, I may consider putting it in my signature ahahah

df64a03a777dc9f9a060ef6b286773b3-1.gif    ✩ 𝓥𝓲𝓬𝓽𝓲𝓶 𝓸𝓯 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓑𝓮𝓵𝓵𝓪𝓭𝓸𝔁 ✩

SonataAvalon

I feel proud.

My jokes gonna used in someones signature. 

• Haha 2