The Ecchizonans

Zoom Meetup

Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Rneiro

I Accidentally Sanded my DDH-16's Nose Tip Off!

Rneiro

I accidentally sanded/scratched a part of my DDH-16's nose off when I was trying to remove MSC by sanding/filing it with sandpaper and the tip of a diamond file tool. This was before I learned rubbing alcohol and non-acetone nail remover did the trick with a lot less risk.

If you look closely, you can see a shiny dot or bump on her nose. I really like this head (and it's uncommon too) and am really upset that I may've messed up this head beyond repair, I may have to sell it at a loss and find another head or wait for Volks to have another event for heads like this which could be in..? 

Is there anything I could do to remove the shiny bump on her nose, or should I not even bother because I have botched vinyl doll heads in the past? It seems to be what is left of her nose tip.. 😰

5CAE226F-4F02-4B4C-BB29-18CD145572E6.jpeg.854304d766e9cec79de31f5a98d16a0a.jpeg

Collie

I don't think the head is ruined at all! The shine should vanish if you seal her face/give her a face-up though. You could also try sanding with a rougher grit to remove it.

Rneiro
16 hours ago, Collie said:

I don't think the head is ruined at all! The shine should vanish if you seal her face/give her a face-up though. You could also try sanding with a rougher grit to remove it.

I have wasted two cans of MSC trying to seal my doll’s head for a faceup myself.. I may send her to a faceup artist since I feel I did all I could trying to paint her myself.

I was thinking of patching her nose up it with smooth setting epoxy putty sold on Volks and then painting or blushing it as close to her skin color (which is semi-white) as I can.

BeyondTime
29 minutes ago, Rneiro said:

I was thinking of patching her nose up it with smooth setting epoxy putty sold on Volks and then painting or blushing it as close to her skin color (which is semi-white) as I can.

A face-up artist should be able to repair her for you, but they may have to paint the entire head for a color match if they have to epoxy it. They might just be better off polishing out the shiny spot. 

• Like 1

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Bellatrix

I second the idea of sanding the area carefully to even out the spot.

If you feel like you wasted 2 cans of MSC, maybe you should try at switching method! In my experience, MSC does the trick most of the times, so I assume you may have been using it wrong. 

There are a few faceup artists in the US that would be more than happy to help you out on this.

• Like 1

df64a03a777dc9f9a060ef6b286773b3-1.gif    ✩ 𝓥𝓲𝓬𝓽𝓲𝓶 𝓸𝓯 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓑𝓮𝓵𝓵𝓪𝓭𝓸𝔁 ✩

Rneiro

I think I may have over-sanded the area, but the spot isn’t there and the tip of her nose is now flat/blunt (😪) and the spot seems to be gone after I observed the area with a magnifying glass..

I would like to try a brush-on (or airbrush) sealant if anyone has experience with them. 

I will wait until Volks has their event with the DDH-16 head and buy a few! Again, who knows when that will be?

Edit: I was in a rush this morning and didn't have time to take a picture of her even more sanded down nose.. I'm not sure if I will post it because I'm embarrassed anyway. I tend to botch blank doll heads a lot.. I don't think that will work out well if I want to pursue vinyl BJD faceups as a pastime or service.

Edited by Rneiro
Edit