Zoom Meetup

Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
ZandurFox

Soon to be a first time Dollfie Dream doll owner.

ZandurFox

Hiya!

I always wanted a Dollfie Dream doll, but I never had one since I'm a huge Anime/Japanese PVC figure collector since June 2013 and I regret buying Smart Doll back in late 2019, thanks to DC's heavy promotion of them on social media. The aftermarket prices of limited edition DDs that came from Anime, JRPGs, and Japanese video games in general had turned me off getting one at the time. Since I had a very poor job which was retail at a zombie store with a really low payroll. My work hours of the zombie store were so low like 1-2 days a week! It was that bad...but I still cherished it due to good people there.

I realized Volks is a much better BJD company and treats their fans and customers better!

Since I'm a newbie to DDs, I've questions to ask:

1. How to maintain Dollfie Dream dolls when they're wearing their default outfit for many months or even a year?

2. Are DDs great as a travel companion and travel safe?

3. Is customizing DDs a hard task?

4. How are Dollfie Dream Dolls compare to Smart Dolls?

5. Why are DDs based from Anime/Video Games require lotteries to win to buy them?

That's all my questions, I hope you all can help and give me advice on Dollfie Dream dolls. I just wish I got one back in 2015 or 2016 when I had the chance...I was foolish.

Thank you!

• Like 3

ateliervanilla
1 hour ago, ZandurFox said:

1. How to maintain Dollfie Dream dolls when they're wearing their default outfit for many months or even a year?

I'm pretty new to DDs too, I just started last year. For this, I highly suggest getting stain prevention bodysuits and magic erasers. Magic erasers are melamine sponges that can be used to help remove stains (but be careful on the face as they may remove faceup paint...). Benzoyl peroxide in 10% cream is also used for stain treatment. Most popular would be the Volks Dream Rescue cream, RemoveZit, and Oxy10. For basic cleaning, Dawn dishwashing soap + warm water should do.

They are, given that you hold on to them well safely when you bring them around. I first travelled with one in just a tote bag with white lining (so that it doesn't risk staining the vinyl). Some would like to just carry them/handheld. It really depends how you want to travel with them. If you need to bring multiple DDs, it's best to dismantle them (removing the parts) so it takes less space to package them, then put them together again when you need to do photography.

It takes practice, good budgeting, and research! I am still on trial and error on this! But most of all, you have to have fun 😄 I found that I truly enjoyed doing faceups since it really defines the doll's character.

I found that Dollfie Dreams have softer vinyl and have more leg posing compared to Smart Dolls. But Smart Dolls on the other hand can hold stiff posing and stains less easier (because of the harder vinyl?). It's easier to get spare parts for Dollfie Dreams in my opinion because of Volks USA, as with Smart Dolls they're only available in bundles these days instead of getting individual parts. Blank heads are also more available with Dollfie Dreams. But there are more available skin tones with Smart Doll.

5. Why are DDs based from Anime/Video Games require lotteries to win to buy them?

I won in a lottery once, and I believe it's because of the volume of interested customers - they can only make so much of these licensed products so there had to be a lottery system to fill in the actual number of dolls they would only produce (I think? Other members, please correct me if I'm wrong).

I hope this helps! I have two Smart Dolls but I love Dollfie Dreams as much, they're charming!

• Like 2

Twitter: lostgormotti Instagram: atelier.vanilla Facebook: AtelierVNL

Tierparkzone
5 hours ago, ZandurFox said:

Most of my dolls don't have or use a "default" outfit, but yes - a bodysuit or body-stocking (that covers only specific areas) as well as some stain protection tape are likely your best options.

Just remember: Dye may eventually seep through bodysuits. But you'll be able to tell beforehand, as the bodysuit itself has to get stained first. So make sure to check every once in a while.

5 hours ago, ZandurFox said:

They travel just as well as Smart Dolls. Just make sure the inside of the bag poses no immediate stain risk or protect them with a plastic bag (e.g. the long one they come in) or a lightly colored towel. For travel in crowded vehicles (trains, planes) some protection against heavy impacts and crushing is also not a bad idea. - A camera backpack has worked well for me in that regard and allows me to carry up to two dolls in a kneeling pose.

Without the immediate access to a telescopic stand that you get with a Smart Doll, posing a DD out in the Wild may be a bit more tedious.

6 hours ago, ZandurFox said:

Depends on what you wish to customize. Swapping hands, busts, eyes, wigs or entire heads is fairly easy and there are plenty of options available. The rest of the body is a bit more tedious to take apart, but it's definitely not too complicated.

In case of painting, it of course depends more on your own skills and confidence. Maybe try to find some cheap blank heads to practice first?

As an owner of both, I can say that the overall handling and care requirements for both are very similar.

The differences are mostly in posing limits and appearance. A while back, I did a comparison:

Apart from limited production capabilities, I guess it has a bit to do with the Japanese obsession for limited edition stuff - by no means just for dolls. From what I've seen, preying on impulse buys and "fear of missing out" are fairly effective marketing strategies here in Japan. - However, that may often be more in the interest of the license holder than in the interest of Volks themselves.

• Like 2

moerunamida

Already great answers here, but I'll throw in a few cents worth.

First off, congrats! Can you stop at just one DD though? Mine are like potato chips or cookies; I couldn't stop at just one!

Your doll, no matter how much protection you use, will eventually get stained. Stains can be treated, though. It's time consuming, but it can be done. Think of it as another way of bonding, lol. I think they make good traveling companions although my MDDs are more suited to that. I've carried my doll in my arms while out doing photos. Compared to Smart Dolls, DDs are way looser. This isn't a bad thing necessarily. It took me a couple months before I was brave enough to muscle through and find out how to bend my Smart Doll's wrist, because I was sure I was going to break her. I have a couple DDs that are looser or an arm or leg is loose, but the f3 frame allows you to adjust the tension, something you cannot do with a Smarty.

Not all anime based dolls are lottery based. Quite a few are preorders. You can also stalk Mandarake for previous releases (and I recommend it opposed to Ebay for better prices).

My piece of advice is don't settle. Have an idea of what you would like, but don't jump at a doll just because of a cheap price or she's cute in the moment. Selling dolls can be a tad frustrating. Welcome to the wonderful world of Dollfies, though! Also, if you are creating your own doll, do a bit of looking at the different bodies available to get a sense of what you might like. ♥

• Like 5

r75s0k.gifCircle (Towa) Yui (MDD) Coralie (MDD) 88 (Kizuna AI) 1rukij4.gif

BeyondTime
10 hours ago, ZandurFox said:

How to maintain Dollfie Dream dolls when they're wearing their default outfit for many months or even a year?

Getting a stand is a good idea. 

10 hours ago, ZandurFox said:

Why are DDs based from Anime/Video Games require lotteries to win to buy them?

I read somewhere that the lottery system isn't all that unusual in Japan. There isn't a lot of space for huge warehouses to keep unsold goods for months on end, so they produce below market demand and use a lottery to determine who can buy high demand goods.

• Like 2

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

battrastard
18 hours ago, ateliervanilla said:
20 hours ago, ZandurFox said:

I won in a lottery once, and I believe it's because of the volume of interested customers - they can only make so much of these licensed products so there had to be a lottery system to fill in the actual number of dolls they would only produce (I think? Other members, please correct me if I'm wrong).

There are occasions where Volks will sell Pre-order Anime/Video Game Characters. I bought Marisa and Reimu thru them as a Pre-order collab, but, it was a "You pay for it, then we'll make it" instead of making a set amount and holding a Lottery.

None of my Kiddos normally wear their default outfits. Mostly, when I buy mine, I see a character I've got in my head, and that sculpt looks like her. (currently doing this with MDD Rena Ryugu. It's just finding/getting the wig and eyes just right is being a challenge!) 

• Like 1

"Madness takes it's toll, Please have exact change!"

ZandurFox

Nice! Thank you for the advice and input, everyone! I appreciate it!

I'll have to keep those in mind, since I already put in layaway to a Dollfie Dream from someone here.

It's a character from a underrated JRPG and I look forward in getting her in my collection soon. I don't mind getting more information from experienced DD/BJD owners as it can help me more.

Edited by ZandurFox
  • Like 3

Tira

Regarding 5 - Recently, Volks International has moved away from doing lotteries as often. Instead, they use the standard purchasing method, where it goes to the first people who purchase it. This means that the site gets flooded with users trying to check out at the same time, so you'll see a lot of the "the site is too busy" page. Getting a limited doll in this way isn't really any easier than the lottery system, especially if the character is particularly popular.

ZandurFox

Alright, it's good to know that Volks International reduced lotteries for limited edition dolls. But, the bad thing is that once the DD is on sale on their store, then it can get pretty hard to get one unless you're lucky.

Edited by ZandurFox

puxlavoix
On 3/25/2022 at 1:12 PM, ZandurFox said:

How to maintain Dollfie Dream dolls when they're wearing their default outfit for many months or even a year?

My advice to you is beware of dark clothing like deep blues, obviously black and very shiny colors like red, orange and the like because most often than not those WILL stain your doll.

Being in the hobby for more than 11 years, I have never ever accidentally got a stain on my dolls skin (only on purpose for research reasons), whether it be from the common default clothes or typically the volks outfits. Since entering the hobby I made my mind.about not wanting my dolls to wear a bodysuit because for me it just draws from their beautiful esthetics in so many ways...

Instead I've come accustomed to wash clothes before putting them on for several weeks at a time or even to just try them out or a quick photoshoot.

One side note here is that dumping them im water or even vinegar just won't do, you have to hand wash them like you would normally wash something by hand but its important to use and not spare soap because its what will get the excess dye out. Believe me, you could just put the clothes in water for several hours straight and maybe get some of the dye out and you'll may think-im done- BUT if you use soap it will absolutely paint the water bright with the offending color. This process will not damage the clothes and will give you peace of mind while keeping your girls' looks.

Now, you could use some spare and old limb or bust to wrap the suspecting clothes using a rubber band amd leave it for some hours to days, but in my experience it's not very time efficient and depending on the specific garment may yield false results.

Its also a good idea to check them periodically to make sure they stay stain free and be aware that sometimes it's not the fabric but the stitching that stains.

After a while you'll start to get savvy and learn to tell the fabrics and colors are more prone to stain from the safe ones.

Edited by puxlavoix
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1505193317_sig1copy.png.892dcb9d95734be68d4282d5f06843bb.png1495205582_sig2copy.png.b9f2cb50f3c66e638bd5c8a75bd10688.png

SakuraSylph

Regarding question 5, it's important to point out that there's no correlation between being a licensed character and being a lottery doll.  Volks will use different sales tactics for each individual release, and their preferred tactics swing back and forth with the passing of the years.  You'll see lottery, clickwar, preorder, and standard models all, and while licensed characters don't usually become standard models, they will be on the other three sales methods at various times.  This is true for Dollfie Dream as well as Super Dollfie.

Volks doesn't explain the "whys" behind how a release is sold, only what the way shall be, and that's not surprising since it's business internal information.  We guess licensor input may play a role, but don't know for certain.  What is certain is that lottery systems are used for a great many things in Japan, and exclusivity is a lucrative sales model. Especially for luxury brands, of which Volks is for dolls.  So lotteries is something that Japanese consumers are going to be very used to.. and may even make things sell better than they otherwise would.

• Like 1

SakuraSylph

Xiongmao

On question (2) I think my Towa got stained when she left the house for a photo session, so she's going to stay in side from now on. Also DD Dynamite girls often have wonky legs so they're not great for travelling with. My girl won't sit very well either.

My new girl is a DDS with the newer DD-f3 frame and she's much better at posing, sitting etc.

Incidentally I entered (and didn't win) a SD lottery earlier this year. I entered another lottery and the results are out on Friday. I kind of like the thrill of the lottery, and if we don't win I just put it down to fate.

My new girl Uzuki (Smile & Treats Edition) is a fairly recent licensed (but sold out) model and I acquired her from Mandarake. I got her for a fabulous price (and in fabulous condition). If you want to go down this route with one of the more popular models then you must set up email alerts and you must be quick. I bought my girl ~2 hours after the email turned up in my inbox. Also you need to be very patient - one of my other Mandarake alerts was triggered after 7 months.

As to Smart Dolls, I don't have one but I nearly bought one last month. I'm not getting into politics but Smart Dolls are quite divisive. What I didn't realise is you can't apparently buy Smart Doll spare body parts like you can with Dollfies.

I will stick with Dollfies as they have a great range of different models and sizes. Also their vinyl is soft and squishy and has an intoxicating smell when they're new.

Finally, slightly off topic but I can recommend the Pureneemo line too. They're around half Dollfie size but they are super poseable and will also stand up unsupported (unlike Dollfies). They're also a lot cheaper and easier to travel with and it's not too difficult to find popular licensed characters (I have Rem and Ram, and Emilia's being re-released later this year).

• Like 1

Xiongmao-Signature-Vinyl-Dolls-December-2023.jpg.092aa55b9a3c11160633f60ad1610e7c.jpg 

My Dollfie doll family 😊.

ZandurFox

I finally got my DD Kirika Towa! Thank you all for the suggestions and advice! I'll keep those in mind and it will help me for sure!

Edited by ZandurFox
  • Like 3

battrastard

Congratulations! 

Get her set up as you want her, get comfortable with handling her posing and such, and, generally just have fun with her! 

Rick

• Like 1

"Madness takes it's toll, Please have exact change!"