Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

ragnamuffin

Volks SD/DD Clothing on Azone / Obitsu 48

ragnamuffin

Back when I first joined the forums, my very first topic was a question about whether Volks clothing would fit my 1/3 Azone doll (Alice/Lovely Bear) with an Obitsu 48 small bust (OB48S) body:

The clothing in question was the Spring Magic Girl outfit for Super Dollfie. I saw this outfit on display at Dollpoint Akihabara and fell in love with it. I HAD to have it, but only had Alice at the time and wasn’t sure it would fit. In the end, I decided to go with the Mini version of this outfit since the general consensus was that the OB48S body has measurements more akin to an MDD and so was more likely to fit.

While still super cute, the Mini version is a far cry from the normal version of this outfit, and after I got my first couple of Dollfie Dreams, it was time to finally welcome this outfit into my collection:

4C9B37EC-747C-49B2-8C3B-A90A2D0CC7543A3F4E7C-1A19-4ECC-BC90-8834F9966371

Much to my surprise, this outfit has extra hooks that allow you to put it on a smaller doll. It’s possible the previous owner added them since I bought it secondhand, but given that the threads match perfectly in colour and craftsmanship, it probably came this way originally.

2C87D84F-9716-4C41-8634-50CDA121F2CC

The bolero is a bit big, but as you can see, the corset and skirt fit Alice perfectly. Had I known this, I might’ve stuck to only this outfit instead of going down the Volks clothing rabbit hole in search of nicer outfits, but I’m not mad about it 😂

90680E2D-A9C9-4898-BB6C-782FD03F20FF04A245CE-9F90-4FF6-B944-21CB37B93EB2EB33C7C6-4CCE-4196-815A-97131FB0C50E

So to answer my original question (and maybe yours too if you had the same one), yes, the Spring Magic Girl outfit for SD does in fact fit on the OB48S body.

C131BBEB-064D-40FE-BB4B-84F8A610CA799151EBB9-294A-4759-86DC-01A598CB58E6

The boots are SB-SD-250. They’re too big for her, but it’s not noticeable enough to bother me.

Edited by ragnamuffin
Updated a picture
  • Like 7

chef_mai

Thanks for following up on this!

I've previously dismissed the idea of shopping for DD clothing on 48cm Obitsu/Azone/AP, but I've come around to deliberately shopping for some of it now after seeing encouraging fit from the few I currently have.

It's not easy to figure out what fits, so here are my thoughts...

• Go for outfits sized for SS/S and stick to the Tenshi no Koromo line, since those are outfits are designed for DD. The other lines, including the Blue Label line, can be a lot iffier in fit.
  • Stick to short sleeves if possible.
  • Long sleeves will run ~2cm longer than in sample photos.
  • Skirts/dresses will run ~1 inch longer than in sample photos. 
  • One-piece outfits are a gamble.
  • Some stuff just won't work out no matter how careful you are. 

The designs of (Volks) DD clothing are a bit nicer than their MDD equivalents, and there's more variety, so it's been pretty tempting to dive in and see what can be done.

Edited by chef_mai
  • Like 2

ragnamuffin
On 8/30/2022 at 4:37 PM, chef_mai said:

It's not easy to figure out what fits, so here are my thoughts...

• Go for outfits sized for SS/S and stick to the Tenshi no Koromo line, since those are outfits are designed for DD. The other lines, including the Blue Label line, can be a lot iffier in fit.
  • Stick to short sleeves if possible.
  • Long sleeves will run ~2cm longer than in sample photos.
  • Skirts/dresses will run ~1 inch longer than in sample photos. 
  • One-piece outfits are a gamble.
  • Some stuff just won't work out no matter how careful you are. 

All good advice, and for anyone new to 1/3 dolls, it’s worth noting that AZO2 bodies seem to fit into SD/DD clothing somewhat decently (far more so than the standard Obitsu bodies). Check out @chef_mai’s clothing review threads to see how they fit on more voluptuous bodies!

As another follow-up to my post, I was able to get my hands on the lop ear clips with ribbons (リボン付きロップイヤークリップ) and the white layered frill belt (レイヤードフリルベルト), which I’ve talked about on this forum before.

7065077C-19EF-4FD5-822A-E76AA3A8093C8D900AC1-1902-4E32-A1C6-6C1616E24885

Both items are for all sizes, so they’re not specific to this thread, but I’m posting here so people can see the full outfit.

38A490B3-2507-4204-9557-7974994700C199BBD8CB-11C5-4396-81FA-75E7150CDFA5

The clips are pretty straightforward—just clip them into the hair. The layered frill belt clasps around the waist, and seems to be a mix of three different fabrics that are layered in a kind of haphazard way—they don’t fully overlap, so different fabrics stick out at opposite ends of the belt, which was kind of confusing at first.

But the end result is really lovely and I’m really satisfied with how it looks, so Alice will probably stay in this getup for the next few months!

• Like 2

chef_mai

I'll add a review for this soon, but I've tested out more DD outfits on Mai (who's still on regular O48 legs and a slim torso). Here's how she looks like in the Volks DD-sized sailor suit (for SS/S).

The top fits great, and even more so when she's wearing the Volks lace bra underneath to fill out the chest area more, without actually changing her size. Sleeve length is perfect, not too long! I swapped in a ribbon for the scarf.

She's wearing the MDD-sized uniform skirt here.

spacer.png

And below is her wearing the one that came with the uniform.

It's pretty much the same waist size as the MDD version but 1cm longer and flares out significantly wider. It would work on a casual outfit, but I much prefer the MDD skirt or Azone one for a uniform.

spacer.png

On an AP-H or AZO2 torso, the skirt looks a lot better since the wide hips work better with it.

Overall, I think it's a great addition (especially for an AZO2 or AP) as long as you have a smaller navy blue skirt to swap in. 

Edited by chef_mai
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

chef_mai

I've been trying out all of these outfits on an Obitsu 48 body. I'm still working through them all, but one observation I've had is that most of the skirts and dresses run longer than ideal. 

Putting them on an Angel Philia and AZO2 can help a little, but the 48cm length that AP's standardized on gives off this petite/short vibe that doesn't fit as well with DD clothing as it should.

The best solution I've come up with is to use 50cm thighs to cut that height difference where it counts most. Here's a picture of what I was able to cobble up, doing exactly what. The outfit looks much better with the thighs being longer while holding the shins the same. 

(Mai is on O48 on the left, then with the Dollypop 50cm legs on the right)

spacer.pngspacer.png

The theoretical best solution would be to get hold of 50cm Angel Philia legs, but they're difficult to come by these days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ragnamuffin
7 hours ago, chef_mai said:

I've been trying out all of these outfits on an Obitsu 48 body. I'm still working through them all, but one observation I've had is that most of the skirts and dresses run longer than ideal. 

Putting them on an Angel Philia and AZO2 can help a little, but the 48cm length that AP's standardized on gives off this petite/short vibe that doesn't fit as well with DD clothing as it should.

The best solution I've come up with is to use 50cm thighs to cut that height difference where it counts most. Here's a picture of what I was able to cobble up, doing exactly what. The outfit looks much better with the thighs being longer while holding the shins the same.

The main problem is that 1) DDs are about 10cm taller than the 48, which is huge at this scale, and 2) ALL body parts are bigger/thicker on DDs (head, bust, stomach, hips, arms, legs, feet), so it’s kind of a miracle that any clothing for DD fits 1/3 Obitsu bodies at all.

With regards to the height difference, for the longest time I only had DDS (Alice Kuonji and Anastasia), which are already much bigger than 1/3 Obitsu bodies at 54.5cm tall and took me a while to get used to, but when I got Mash—who actually is a standard DD at 57cm tall—I was surprised again at how much taller she appeared compared to the other two even. There’s only a 2.5cm difference between them, but that’s actually a pretty big deal at this scale, so 9cm (the difference between the OB48 and a standard DD) is humongous.

That said, purely in terms of length, the inseam is 31cm on a DD and 25.5cm on an OB48. Since the height difference between the 48 and the 50 is all in the legs, using legs for the OB50 closes the gap a bit at 27.5cm.

There’s still a 3.5cm difference between the OB50’s inseam and the DD’s, but for dresses and skirts at least, this shouldn’t be too big of a deal.

• Like 1

chef_mai

I'm pretty pleasantly surprised by how well the tops fit in general, as long as they're targeted for SS/S/M. 

The biggest issue is that the torso length on DD is longer (by an inch?), so some tops run long. In practice, some of the clothes aren't long at all by design (in other words, run short on DDS/DD), can be tucked in, or in the worst case, a substitution can be done.

I was worried about sleeve length on jackets, but this turned out pretty nice in the end, and since this jacket runs kinda short it worked out in the end.

Here is a photo of Mai wearing one of the winter jackets, a DD-sized turtleneck inside and a DD uniform skirt. (The skirt the set came with is too long for Mai's 48cm legs, but it looks fine on 50cm ones)

spacer.png

When I have time, I'll make a montage of how Mai looks like in all the outfits I got. My early conclusion is that most everything I got works, not necessarily as-is but with thoughtful substitutions, looks really good and fulfills what I wanted, which was a bigger variety of styles that I wouldn't have access to shopping just for MDD and Obitsu.

Edited by chef_mai
  • Like 6