Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
Kazthenoodle

New to Vinyl BJDs

Kazthenoodle

Hello!! Nice to meet you all 😊 I'm Kaz and very new to Vinyl BJDs. I've been collecting resin BJDs for about 15 years and collecting dolls in general much longer than that! 

I'm excited to join the forum as I really want to learn about Vinyl dolls as they seem so different to resin. I'm a complete newbie to this side! I think I like the idea of doll prepainted and less likely to break compared to resin. And there's no restringing involved!! Lol!

Do you guys have any tips, pros or cons to share regarding Vinyl? Thanks so much 😊

• Like 1

RetroKanojo

Hey there, welcome to the forum! @onion12@

I'm pretty new to vinyl dolls myself, but I'll gladly share what I've learned so far!

Pros:

- As you mentioned; no restringing needed! Vinyl Doll joints can loosen over time, but if you get a Dollfie Dream with a DDf3 body, you will be able to tighten the joints with a screwdriver! Super convenient!

- Posability; the range of motion will depend on the brand you get, but generally speaking I find vinyl dolls to be a lot easier to pose and they actually hold their poses very well! This was a huge point for me personally.

- The anime aesthetic. Now this will be a question of personal taste, but vinyl dolls offer a wide variety of head sculpts suitable for 'anime faces'. You can, of course, use the same heads and give them more realistic face-ups as well!

- No yellowing? Sun isn't the best friend of vinyl dolls either and the material can and will deteriorate, but from what I gathered, yellowing is not as big of an issue with vinyl as compared to resin.

- The weight! Vinyl dolls are lighter than resin dolls. This can become important if you ever want or have to handle your bigger dolls for a longer period of time.

Cons:

- Staining. This is probably the biggest issue with vinyl dolls. Because vinyl is a soft, porous material it will suck up pigments and stain. There's a whole lot of different factors, including temperature, the softness of the vinyl and the nature of the pigment, but generally speaking dark colors like black, blue and red can and will stain your doll, especially in places where the fabric is tightly pressed against the vinyl. Think black socks that stain the soles of your doll's feet because the weight of the doll presses down on the fabric. There are ways to remove stains by using certain creams. You can find more information on that on the forum, but it is a process that requires some patience. Alternatively, you can protect your dolls with 'body stockings', aka skin colored suits to go under their outfits, masking tape and even stuff like cling film.

- The price for these dolls is usually higher compared to resin dolls. 

- Variety in skin colors and body types is sadly a little.. lacking. Something as simple as a male vinyl doll is surprisingly hard to find. There are options, but they are not nearly as widely available as female dolls. If you want something specific, however, you might want to look into modding and/or hybrids! It might take some fiddling, but you can definitely create some amazing dolls if you go down that route! Dying is also a possibility!

Ah I guess that's all I can think off right now, but I'm sure others would be able to give more insight into the wonderful world of vinyl dolls @onion24@ Just make sure to protect them from staining and if you have a more specific question you can always post it here in the forum to get help! Also, make sure to share your lovely dolls with us, we have a spot for resins too, so no need to be shy!

Xiongmao

Welcome to the world of vinyl dolls. I have 3 Dollfies now. I think the biggest issue I've encountered is the Dollfie Dream Dynamite body's hips are a bit creaky, and they don't pose in sitting positions well. I do prefer the DDS body.

Bodysuits are a good idea because outfits and the environment can stain vinyl quite easily. I redressed two of my girls today and noticed our sole bodystocking had a couple of major stains on the butt area. I've no idea what caused that but it's good job whoever at the time was wearing it. Incidentally human acne cream is cheap and really good at removing stains.

Other than that, if you're in it for the anime character dolls then be prepared to move quickly because certain new and second hand dolls sell out very quickly. Kagamine Rin appeared on Mandarake last month, but they sold her the next day.

Xiongmao-Signature-Vinyl-Dolls-December-2023.jpg.092aa55b9a3c11160633f60ad1610e7c.jpg 

My Dollfie doll family 😊.

Rajke

Welcome to the Forums. 
@onion12@

Hope you want to share some photo’s of your doll family. 

There is a huge difference between vinyl and resin dolls. Some things could be seen as an advantage but instead of working out a list with pro and cons I want to write down some differences. Which is actually somewhat the same. 
@onion34@

Vinyl dolls have interchangeable hands and in some cases feet.

Body blushing gets easily damaged on the joints by resin dolls.

In my opinion vinyl dolls are easier to pose due to the inner frame.

Vinyl heads can be attached and detached easily. Vinyl doll heads are easier to damage by the neckhole.

Resin doll parts feel more sturdy. In my opinion.

Changing outfits by vinyl dolls is easier because of the way the doll can be taken apart.

Due to staining I also recommended bodysuits for certain outfits for vinyl dolls.

Vinyl dolls are lighter in weight. Can be a pro or con depending were you are photographing.

Resin dolls have a huge variety in body sculpts and skintones.

The style of the dolls is far apart.

Different mentality between communities regarding vinyl and resin dolls.

The limited quantity of fullsets.

Difference in waiting time and price. 

Don’t be afraid to ask. Most members love both resin and vinyl dolls.

@onion9@

@onion27@@onion34@

seeya around,

Rajke

Edited by Rajke
Not enough onion’s in my post

@onion20@   This is a signature.

Jezrah

My resins are always displayed either sitting or with a stand in order to prevent falls. My DDs I can trust to stand balanced on the shelves because they are less likely to get hurt by falling. If they do unfortunately fall I am most worried about their faceup, whereas if a resin fell I would be checking for broken fingers or chipped elbows (which I have seen happen at doll meets). But really I have only have two vinyl dolls that I keep on stands to prevent falls- one has resin magnetic horns that I don't want to get broken, and the other has an Obitsu 65cm body, which is older and discontinued due to the penchant for frame breakage. My poor boy fell off a shelf once and ended up looking like a Vietnam vet, with both his legs breaking off at the knee. Fortunately I had spare parts from an Obitsu 55cm that I could use to patch him up, and now he's not allowed to stand alone.

TLDR: the flexibility of the vinyl makes it harder to break the outer parts that you can see. Although I have had some frame breakages I've not had anything that has been so bad that I couldn't fix it.

• Like 1

32717445532_3aa446bd94_m.jpg

ragnamuffin
4 hours ago, Rajke said:

Different mentality between communities regarding vinyl and resin dolls.

I’m curious to hear more about this!

battrastard
4 hours ago, ragnamuffin said:

I’m curious to hear more about this!

It's been posted here before, but, I'd also like to hear an "Individual" opinion on the matter.... 

"Madness takes it's toll, Please have exact change!"

Rajke

Let’s try to give a good explanation without upsetting one community.
The best way to describe the difference in mentality is in that the vinyl community is more open than the resin community. In my experience it was harder to connect to the resin community because some topics are zero tolerance. The big con I experienced with that is that the necessary information is hard to get. And zero tolerance is indeed zero tolerance. For example recasts. If the information about how to recognise and avoid them would be shared the person asking would get the answer he/she/them needs. An answer that only gives the statement that we are against it is not very helpful.
A lot of information is hard to get. 
The vinyl community is more open in giving information.

Hope that this answer will explain what I ment without turning down one community. 

• Thanks 2

@onion20@   This is a signature.

That_Dollfie_Dude

It's likely that we're spared so much of the drama because knockoffs don't really exist for most Dollfie Dream models.

ragnamuffin
54 minutes ago, That_Dollfie_Dude said:

It's likely that we're spared so much of the drama because knockoffs don't really exist for most Dollfie Dream models.

Nothing to do with recasts, but for some reason I just remembered that anecdote on r/HobbyDrama about the Russian BJD community going nuts over someone posting photos of their doll in underwear and how that injured his (the doll’s) honour and dignity 😂

• Haha 2