Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

foo

Farewell, dear SB-SD-168

foo

Sigh. The first shoes I've ever bought have bit the dust. The pleather has gone to crumbles.

retired-shoes.jpg

When I got my first doll (which was quickly followed by my second), I learned to put my previous definition of sanity aside and start spending money on doll clothing. I got this lovely outfit for Sakuya and wanted to take full length photos, but she was just wearing socks. Who wears a gown with just socks??

sakuya-damask.jpg

So, I have to buy shoes? But doll shoes are so expensive! At Volks USA's website, they had these pretty ones but they were a whopping $46 USD! (actually even now, holy smurf). I had nothing so I decided to get them. They were certainly something:

SB-SD-168.jpg

Volks SB-SD-168 (Dolpa 27)

That said my doll wardrobe at the time wasn't at the same level.

13183043874_3ff539baae_b.jpg
DSC_6751 by bodolza, on Flickr

Spending big money on tiny shoes has become a normal thing (yes, my past self, I've gone crazy), but I've never come across something with the same simple grace and sophistication as these. They worked perfectly with outfits that they had no other business matching with, just because they shined on their own.

26628588823_0c96563acb_b.jpg
Sakuya, White Tiger by bodolza, on Flickr

Short of Kero-chan checks, shoes don't get photographed unless the composition is made for them, so I don't have many examples to show off. Their last job was to serve Melty-hime. Out of all the shoes I've bought over the years they were the only things I had that suit this outfit,

melty-tsuki.jpg

You can see in that picture the pleather is barely holding on. Some of the straps have been reduced to just the threads that stitch the pleather together. Worse still I found that the pleather crumbled into dust leaving marks on the socks that I'll have to clean.

I decided to try and find a suitable replacement that Volks had in stock and purchased SB-SD16G-094. They're an unsatisfactory substitute, but certainly lovely enough to serve Melty's feet.

meltys-new-shoes.jpg

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

BeyondTime
On 9/13/2022 at 10:47 PM, foo said:

That said my doll wardrobe at the time wasn't at the same level.

She still looks awesome in spite of that.

• Like 1

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction