Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
MaleficentMrsofEvil

A request to ban 3D-printed dolls from Thingiverse as 3D scans of Obitsu bodies

MaleficentMrsofEvil

When Spouse and I first invested in a 3D printer, we were delighted to see all of the BJDs available for free on Thingiverse, and we printed out a couple for my personal use. They're alright. 

Then I got my first Obitsu 50cm doll (Gretel), and the resemblance was unmistakable. 

The 3D BJD files on Thingiverse originate from someone 3D-scanning an Obitsu body - probably an AP doll - and then adding thigh joints. 

I'll add photo comparisons, if there's any interest. 

I notified the moderators of Den of Angels, but there was no interest in pursuing the matter; hence my lack of detail in this post. 

Edited by MaleficentMrsofEvil

Roserolls

Dang, copies are even getting 3D printed now?! I know I'm borderline tech illiterate, but how is that even possible? I thought recasts/copies needed to have a physical doll to make a mold out of it...

I've been wondering if I should make a warning thread for other vinyl frankendolls that turned out to be copies of other dolls (like Dream Fairy, Doris Doll, etc) so that people won't be tricked into buying them thinking they have to be legit since they're made of vinyl/cheaper plastic instead of resin (like I did, I'm still pretty upset about that😓). It sounds like this would fit into that category as well.

If you're able to, I would like to see the photo comparisons. Plus, just posting the photos will make them searchable on the web without having to be part of the forum/site, which could help someone who's not involved with this community see them if they google the thingiverse file or whatever it is. That's how I ended up finding out about all these other frankendolls.

Subaru

I tried looking at the thingiverse and haven't found anything that's similar to any existing Obitsu or AP bodies.

My wallet needs a vacation 💸
spacer.png
Blog Insta Ko-Fi Etsy

MrFjmg03

Comparison photos are a must when we make a recast claim, especially if it will ruin a company reputation. I own multiple AP girls so I would be able to spot the similarities or differences.

Edited by MrFjmg03
  • Like 1

RetroKanojo
5 hours ago, Roserolls said:

Dang, copies are even getting 3D printed now?! I know I'm borderline tech illiterate, but how is that even possible? I thought recasts/copies needed to have a physical doll to make a mold out of it...

Another tech illiterate here lol

There are companies who offer 3D scanning services. However, it's even possible to do 3D scans yourself in the comfort of your own home with only a phone (See this video for reference) or you can 3D print and build your own scanner with the resources available here. You will still need a physical copy of what you want to scan, but seeing just how advanced the tech is already.. I really wouldn't be surprised to see scanned dolls, both resin and vinyl pop up on sides like Thingyverse made by the average tech and doll enthusiast. It's fascinating, really.

Roserolls
9 hours ago, RetroKanojo said:

Another tech illiterate here lol

There are companies who offer 3D scanning services. However, it's even possible to do 3D scans yourself in the comfort of your own home with only a phone (See this video for reference) or you can 3D print and build your own scanner with the resources available here. You will still need a physical copy of what you want to scan, but seeing just how advanced the tech is already.. I really wouldn't be surprised to see scanned dolls, both resin and vinyl pop up on sides like Thingyverse made by the average tech and doll enthusiast. It's fascinating, really.

Woah! I didn't realize 3D printing had scanning now, I thought it was stuff you had to model/program. Really amazing that you can even just use a phone. That is kinda fascinating lol.

But yeah, I think we definitely need to see photos of the comparison before implementing a ban.

DreamsicleDollAqua

Could you specify which artist at least? Theres some legitimate artists like Dollightful who use the site and tons of others so an over all ban of the platform rather than a ban of the specific recasters seems like a bit unfair considering the other artists who do post legitimate pieces havent done any of the recasting.

Edited by DreamsicleDollAqua
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

MaleficentMrsofEvil

OK, cool - there is interest. I will return with lots of photos, and the artist in question. 

Sorry - I just didn't want to put in a ton of work, only to be brushed off.

BeyondTime
On 9/19/2022 at 12:28 PM, DreamsicleDollAqua said:

Could you specify which artist at least? Theres some legitimate artists like Dollightful who use the site and tons of others so an over all ban of the platform rather than a ban of the specific recasters seems like a bit unfair considering the other artists who do post legitimate pieces havent done any of the recasting.

We wouldn't ban an entire class of legitimate dolls, but all recasts are forbidden here. It does help to know the makers so people know to avoid them.

Just keep in mind, we have specific rules about on-topic dolls and dolls that aren't vinyl aren't on-topic here anyways, so bans are a bit of a moot point for 3D printed dolls. However, recasts that qualify as off-topic dolls wouldn't be allowed in the off-topic forums, posts would be removed, and users would be banned. 

• Like 1

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction