Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Roserolls

How much is too much for a grail?

Roserolls

I tried to see if this topic has been asked recently, but I couldn't find one, so sorry if this is a repeat!

So, recently I've been saving up for another doll as a big celebratory gift for myself. I had my sights set on DDP Coron for a while, since I really like the look of the DDP body. HOWEVER I just recently saw that a grail doll of mine that has been long sold out is still in stock on another dealer's site. The only problem is that she's like $700 because she comes with extra parts that I don't even want. While I do have enough fun money to buy her without any financial problems, it's quite a bit more than I was originally planning to spend and I would feel kinda anxious/guilty dropping that amount on one doll (unless I'm able to sell off the extra parts, but they don't seem like they're in high demand 😭), although at the same time I'm also wondering if I'm being a bit stingy.

So, I was wondering how much are you willing to shell out for your dream dolls? Do you set a limit? Or do you just go for it when the opportunity comes by? Are there other factors that go into your decision besides the finances? I would like to consult my fellow enablers doll enthusiasts before making the decision. 😅

• Like 5

Emil

"Too much" heavily varies by your budget. It's a very personal limit to set. Around half of my collection cost more than $700, and of the two grails, DD Yukino was ~$250, while my SD Victorique was ~$900.

If you want the doll badly enough and you can manage it just fine financially, I'd say go for it. She costs less than a fair amount of limited DD releases directly from Volks. As for the extra parts, that depends on the doll, and it's entirely possible you might like them once you actually have them in person? (Don't have much context here to say for sure) I've hated some parts of fullsets in photos, but absolutely LOVED the item when I actually got it in my hands. 

TL;DR you're the only one who can set your own limit.

• Like 9

MagnoliaCamellia AmaryllisCarnationHyacinth Bluebell | Alyssum ClematisEmilia Dahlia | Gardenia Hydrangea

~ Florens Academy of Witchcraft ~

MagicalRozen

So the highest I have paid for a grail doll, my grail of 9 years DD Kanu, was $1,500. There were many factors as to why I was willing to shell out that kind of money for her, the main one being how long I have wanted her. I would do it again in a heartbeat if I didn't have her and was in a similar situation as I was last time.

I honestly would have gone up to $2,000, as that is my hard limit for any doll regardless of rarity, scarcity, condition or desire to buy. Again, the only time I would even consider getting close to that $2,000 limit again is if I found myself in a similar situation with Kanu. I had plenty of spending money at the time, as I had a deposit come in from something and I could spend it however I wanted, and I had wanted this doll for so long.

I personally feel that $700 for a grail is a great price, especially since it's possible that you can sell the extra parts for some return profit. It may take some time but there's always a buyer out there.

However, it's up to YOU on how much you feel is too much. Is your grail worth $700 or would you get them and immediately feel guilty and regret spending that money on them? If you think you'd regret it, then I strongly recommend not buying them as those feelings are hard to separate from a doll; speaking from experience with another girl I bought awhile ago that I ended up selling because I couldn't get over how much I spent at the time and not wanting to do anything with her because she cost 'so much' at the time.

My collecting mindset has changed greatly over the years. I used to stress about how much these cuties cost, how if I spent that much I would have enough for clothes for my other girls, I already have too many, etc. But I realized that this hobby is what makes me happy. I like this hobby, so it's ok for me to spend money on it, as long as I am financially stable. That really helped shed some of guilt of collecting and spending money on this hobby for me.

Ultimately it is up to you, and this is just my two cents on your questions. I really hope that whatever you decide to do it makes you happy, as that's the most important thing; I cannot wait to see your cutie on the fourm, whoever you decide on. ❤

• Like 8

Khepra, Ginkgo, TamakiDelilah, HimikoRin, And Others That May Come And Go.

moerunamida

Interesting question!

One thing I've learned in this hobby is to never settle; chances are, you won't be happy. Money not an object, be prepared to slowly come to realize your grail that you have may no longer fit in with your tastes. I'm doing a massive doll overhaul right now and flipping my collection. For me, my grail was a Dollfie Icon and I finally won last year. Looking at her now, she doesn't fit in with my aesthetic as gorgeous as she is and I feel just kinda meh about her. I think I paid $900 for her. I'm currently having a custom head commission done and she and the head I just got from the same artist were grails to me, but grails are a relative term.

If we are talking super holy grails (like not ever going to happen), getting an Enchanted Doll by Marina Bychkova, in particular her Daphne. Absolutely stunning, but there is no way I would ever be able to purchase her if she was ever for sale, because I could not ever justify that kind of money on a doll even if I had the cash handy.

If it is something you can wait on and think about which I know isn't always often the case, here is a question to ask yourself: Why do you need X doll? For me, I purchased a lot of dolls I considered grails just because they were pretty and found out that they were just that. They had no meaning.

I guess the most important question is how dedicated are you towards your grail? I'd follow said prices of the doll on Mandarake so you know what your ballpark $$ you need, and then watch. If your grail is on sale and you somehow missed out on it, how disappointed would you be? If not super upset, I'd put the money towards a different doll.

How much is too much? How much can you afford without putting yourself into debt is the question. If you have to charge it and have no way of paying it off but slowly, then it is too much.

• Like 6

r75s0k.gifCircle (Towa) Yui (MDD) Coralie (MDD) 88 (Kizuna AI) 1rukij4.gif

battrastard
5 hours ago, MagicalRozen said:

I personally feel that $700 for a grail is a great price, especially since it's possible that you can sell the extra parts for some return profit. It may take some time but there's always a buyer out there.

I'll agree with this. 

Usually, a $700 price isn't bad, unless you're buying one of the "basic" dolls, which it doesn't sound like that's what you're doing. 

It does sound like a good deal, especially if you can sell off the accessories you don't want to help balance her cost. 

I'd say go for it, still, it's going to be your decision that matters. 

If you do get her, post plenty of pics!!

• Like 5

"Madness takes it's toll, Please have exact change!"

ragnamuffin

If you know you really want her and can afford it, and she’s in good condition, I would go for it. New releases usually cost about JPY 70,000 or more nowadays, which used to be about USD 700 before hyperinflation, so it doesn’t sound like an unreasonable amount to me.

It can seem like a lot when you’re just starting out or when you’re used to paying lower prices, but eventually you acclimate (which is one of the really scary things about this hobby if I’m honest…)

As others have said, you have to ask yourself if you’ll regret missing out on her and if she’s what you really want. Don’t settle just to save a few hundred bucks.

• Like 8

RetroKanojo

As other's have mentioned, $700 seems like a good price for pretty much any DD that is in good shape and not a standard model - even more so when it's a grail you wanted for a long time and you have the money to spare!

Then again, just like @ragnamuffin said, the speed at which you get acclimated to the high price tags in this hobby is crazy. I had been interested in dolls for longer, but only really dipped into vinyl at the beginning of this year. Just like you, I wanted to buy a gift for myself. It took me a while, but eventually I pre-ordered a 1/4 Tinyfox. She even was on sale on NCS, so I think I paid $220 for her. Which, objectively, on paper, still is a lot of money, at least in my eyes. 😅 

Now, fast forward a couple months. Waiting for her to ship, I see a really good deal on a second hand standard Mirai. $400 for the complete doll + wig cap + 2 extra wigs, including shipping and no customs because she came from within my country. To me that seemed like a great deal, maybe the only option for me to ever get a DD for such a price. I grabbed her and absolutely fell in love - not just with Mirai as a sculpt, but with DD's in general. She arrived about two days after my birthday as well! When I look at her, I don't really think about her cost, but when I do, I always think to myself that she was worth every penny. 

Then DD KAITO was revealed. I wouldn't really call him my grail, but I like him. A LOT. He's priced at ¥72,000 before tax. As of the moment I am writing this, google tells me that converts into $497,51 - then tax, shipping and customs on top of that.. I will probably end up paying something like $700 in total. I don't live in the US so your milage may vary.  Considering the only way to get a DDB otherwise would be through Dream Choice, which adds proxy fees on top of the cost of the doll.. yeah KAITO seems absolutely worth it to me.

I don't really have a doll that I would consider to be my grail - and I feel like I might be more inclined to spend money on a good custom face-up rather than buying an uber expensive grail. Of course, I wouldn't be able to get the specific head sculpt that way and if I like the full set I would have to replicate that or find it separately, but a nice face-up and some mods can really transform the look of a head. It won't be cheap either, but likely cheap-er and I get exactly what I want.

If I had to ballpark it, I probably wouldn't buy anything that costs much more than $1000 in total - so including shipping and customs and all that. Above that, the amount of money that I have to pay for the customs alone just gets ridiculous. 

Feel free to remind me of this thread after I burned $1500 on my grail in the future @onion9@

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

puxlavoix

Well as others have said there are a lot of factors that determine what is too much, some of them more subjective than others.

Consider scarcity and rarity. In my case I paid two grand for Tamaki back in 2014, but she was my absolute grail and while I had heard she could be obtained almost "retail price" that was between acquaintances or friends so no real market price there (Of course as @ragnamuffin mentioned I grew accustomed to the high prices from my first time around in the hobby, there's absolutely no way I could've or would've spend that kind of money in any sort of toy otherwise)

Then I quit the hobby in 2017 and sold all the dolls I had left. But Tamaki kept lurking in the back of my mind for years and ultimately I ended up giving up and buying her when I saw her pop up new on Mandarake in 2020 for $1.700 and didn't even blinked because I knew that could be my last chance. (Before that had only seen her once and never seen her ever since. I wouldn't even be here writing this if it wasn't for her cause she brought me back to the hobby and maybe I would be kicking myself for not bringing her home)

A fiend of mine has this philosophy of his "think how many times in your life have you spent that same amount of money or more on things that you probably didn't really wanted and how many times will you spend it again without even intending or enjoying it . If you want something with your heart go for it, don't regret it"

Edited by puxlavoix
  • Like 6

1505193317_sig1copy.png.892dcb9d95734be68d4282d5f06843bb.png1495205582_sig2copy.png.b9f2cb50f3c66e638bd5c8a75bd10688.png

Hazukami
1 hour ago, puxlavoix said:

f his "think how many times in your life have you spent that same amount of money or more on things that you probably didn't really wanted and how many times will you spend it again without even intending or enjoying it . If you want something with your heart go for it, don't regret it"

My boyfriend didn't say that, but he did basically convey that same meaning to me.
9S was the first DD that actually made me want a DD, but his price was just unfathomable when he released.
Time passed and I could now afford DDs; bought Y'shtola--, then Utena and Anthy in the same year.
Figured that no one else I really wanted would be made.
Lo and behold I see 9S brand new for retail, no tax at AX and I panic.
I couldn't justify spending 780usd on ANOTHER DD within 12 months!
And even though my bf generally tells me to not buy certain anime figures or merch etc.
When I called him freaking out, thinking he'd persuade me to not do it 
he told me "Do you have the money? If so, what are you waiting for? He's right in front of you."
Needless to say I would've 100% regretted not getting him that day. I stare at him every day. ; u ;
---------------
Unrelated to puxlavoix and responding to the thread.
For scale figures I don't go past 300usd and the last 2 figure grails I have I don't plan on paying more than 250-260 for each.
As for DDs.. I'd love to own either Usagi or Minako, but mainly Minako.
She's such a high price though and there are so many more things I would rather own with that money though
that I'm not sure I'll ever own her, the same way I thought I'd never own 9S due to his aftermarket.

I think my Maximum for her would be 1k-1.2k and.. that would have to be several years down the line where I don't have 
any figure pre-orders. Ideally, I'm hoping the Sailor Moon DDs get a re-release or that we get the outers so I can get Saturn if she's ever made.

I want to add that as someone that misses out on things because I hesitate on pricing;
if you have the money and it's something you REALLY want, and on top of that it's not likely to get a re-release?
Get it. There are some items I overpay for, but it's within the range I was willing to overpay for and I'd rather have it
than try hunting for it again. Especially if you're not struggling financially.

I've also noticed that things I REALLY want I tend to hesitate on, but things I don't want as much I know for sure if I'm getting or not lol
Ideally, I just ask myself if there's other things I'd rather have/buy with that money or not.
I had to think about that one with Anthy since I 100% wanted to make sure I wanted both her and Utena
and not just Utena. The more I thought about other figures, I realized nothing beat Himemiya for me and cancelled pre-orders because of it.

tl;dr: Would you rather buy other things with that money?
Do you want to/are willing to hunt for your grail again?
Imagine the item in your room and how much happiness it would bring you.

Edited by Hazukami
  • Like 6

Xiongmao

I paid a LOT for my new MDD. Getting any tan doll was kind of a grail of mine. I probably paid too much for her. However, if I wanted a tan MDD then I'd have to pay for a proxy + shipping + customs charge + the wait for tan to come back into season. New girl was already in my country too, so she arrived the next day. Plus she's a mochi ashi 😊.

I almost bought Kagamine Rin from Mandarake a few months ago, but she was sold after a day. I'd really love to acquire Rin, but for a lot less money I bought Kizuna + Rin's Daughter of Evil outfit.

The next year or two is probably a good time to be on the lookout for grails, as the cost of living crisis bites and people sell off their possessions to pay the bills.

• Like 2

Xiongmao-Signature-Vinyl-Dolls-December-2023.jpg.092aa55b9a3c11160633f60ad1610e7c.jpg 

My Dollfie doll family 😊.

Sebby

For me it is 1k for either vinyl or resin. I never saw my grail (Dollfie Icon Clover) for below 1k so never got her, until a while ago where I found her for 800$. 
Resin grail is Lieselotte who ges for like 2-3k so I will never get her. I just cannot justify paying that much on a doll. 

But it is different for anyone. Some people feel like their grail is worth anything, others draw the line at what they feel is right for a doll. 

maboree

The max I've paid for a doll (resin or vinyl) is $1,400 usd from a Volks lottery, and I don't think I can stomach more than that for a singular purchase. Though, I have purchased a few dolls between that 1k - 1.4k mark, I don't think I will do it again. My absolute maximum now is $1000. (The above-mentioned $700 is a good deal for a grail.)

I feel like there must be some psychology behind why a bunch of smaller purchases feels better than 1 large purchase, even if the sum/ total is the same.  That psychology must be related to why it feels better turning on a TV show versus a movie (even if I binge watch episodes).  

• Like 1

Keijogirl

I haven’t gone past $1800.  Idk, I feel like as long as it’s worth it to you personally you’ll pay for it.

If a doll was $10k and that’s what was in the fun money account then so be it, if I wanted it that badly.

I don’t have that kind of money at all, but if I did I would be that person lol. After all, imo, people do collect other stuff with the same enthusiasm we have for dolls. Some more or less expensive

• Like 6

At Home: Kiyo, Hikaru , Nikko, Komaki, Miho, Kana-chan, Tamakits, Illya, Misa, Deku, Nao, Zana, Ciri, Aki, Alisa, Kana, Yuka, Kiki, Komaki (Oni Mode), Ai, Chili, NagisaDDh03Erica, Miyabi, Jun,  Haruka, Sasha, and Laila

Saving for: Accessories! Clothes! Shoes! The Works!

Roserolls

Thank you all for your comments! It's really interesting to see other people's opinions and thresholds when it comes to grail prices.

Unfortunately I have bad news, it looks like someone else bought her as I was thinking it over lol. I'm a bit salty about it, but at the same time kinda relieved? At least now I won't feel guilty about spending that much money on one doll (that wasn't even a fullset lol). So now I get to go back to trying to choose my next doll, hopefully I'll have better luck next time 😅

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

ragnamuffin
25 minutes ago, Roserolls said:

Thank you all for your comments! It's really interesting to see other people's opinions and thresholds when it comes to grail prices.

Unfortunately I have bad news, it looks like someone else bought her as I was thinking it over lol. I'm a bit salty about it, but at the same time kinda relieved? At least now I won't feel guilty about spending that much money on one doll (that wasn't even a fullset lol). So now I get to go back to trying to choose my next doll, hopefully I'll have better luck next time 😅

That’s too bad, but at least you can save up more and take your time to decide on a new girl (or maybe your grail will pop up again in better condition and/or for a better price?). Incidentally, which one was it (if you’re open to sharing)?

• Like 3

BeyondTime
33 minutes ago, ragnamuffin said:

Incidentally, which one was it (if you’re open to sharing)?

I'm interested as well. If I see something I know someone here is searching for, I generally try and find them and send a message. 

• Like 4

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

PolitelyNefarious
On 10/3/2022 at 8:35 PM, Emil said:

TL;DR you're the only one who can set your own limit.

Truth. You have to look at what you make, what you actually set aside for fun money, and what you could feasibly pay per month / save, and how worth it that money would be.

While I don't have a hard limit on vinyl, five of my most special resin doll have cost upwards of $1000, and at my budget, that's a major sacrifice- it's basically an entire month's pay. I haven't been on a vacation in ten years, and I actually sold one of these expensive grails this year to help pay for the most expensive one. I was only able to justify this purchase because: 1. You're never going to see her for under several thousand dollars due to the insane collector's market and 2.: It was directly helping someone I've bought from for years pay for bills. Had it not been such special circumstances, I doubt she would be coming home to me at all.  Currently the two most expensive vinyl dolls I'm looking at can go for $1000ish, but I've seen them both for less, and am hoping to work something better out as I'm not concerned with fullsets / stock makeup / etc., and just the dolls themselves.

18 hours ago, Roserolls said:

Man, I am sorry to hear she sold. But at the same time, it makes me think, "Maybe this wasn't the right one." Most of my resin grails have fallen into my lap for at least their original value, often less. It's only the barest handful I've had to pay more for- that's why they stand out. Perhaps this doll will show up as a fullset at a great price down the road! Has happened to me more times than I can count. All fingers crossed for you, and hoping that you get a nice girl or boy in the meantime.

17 hours ago, BeyondTime said:

I'm interested as well. If I see something I know someone here is searching for, I generally try and find them and send a message. 

...Thirded. Perhaps we can keep our eyes open?

• Like 4

1541664063_324SigUpdate(1).jpg.0e6f96def94bd21c61f91356e0bc8f92.jpg

BeyondTime
19 minutes ago, Gwandak said:

What's a grail?

It's a reference to The Holy Grail, which by analogy can be used to reference any elusive object or goal of great significance. 

For me Sailor Mercury is my grail doll. Ami Mizuno is one of the most significant anime characters to me. She's one of the earliest anime characters I knew, and she's been one of my top 5 favorite characters for 25+ years. Possessing a DD version of her was a requirement of mine long before Volks made a DD version of her; basically I've wanted a Sailor Mercury DD since I discovered DD were a thing.

• Thanks 2

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Gwandak
38 minutes ago, BeyondTime said:

It's a reference to The Holy Grail, which by analogy can be used to reference any elusive object or goal of great significance. 

For me Sailor Mercury is my grail doll. Ami Mizuno is one of the most significant anime characters to me. She's one of the earliest anime characters I knew, and she's been one of my top 5 favorite characters for 25+ years. Possessing a DD version of her was a requirement of mine long before Volks made a DD version of her; basically I've wanted a Sailor Mercury DD since I discovered DD were a thing.

That makes total sense. I figured it had something to do with rarity or a specific line, but this makes more sense now. Thank you!

black_magicat

i would have to agree with many who have already stated it depends on the person's own budget and what they can afford to spend.  i think mine is about 1k (in total) because this is about how  much i have spent on some of my most expensive dolls.t i took about a half a second to decide to purchase the limited FFXIV Dollfie Dream Y'shtola. that is probably the fastest i have ever decided to spend so much money in one go lol If they ever decided to make a FFXIV G'raha Tia dollfie Dream collaboration that would definitely be a grail doll and i would certainly consider going over that 1k budget for him. 

• Like 1

mayaiincho

Yeah, that's really the answer. I got lucky with Sasara and Yuki Morikawa as usually those two are hella expensive. I was expecting around 600-900 for each. 

My search is over after I get Beato ^¬^

Edited by mayaiincho
  • Like 2

looking for - , Marisa Short Wig, full set Beatrice or default face + eyes & Sasara Fullset or default face + eyes.

RyuichiSakuma13

Hi, everyone! 👋

I'm new to Dollfies and I know almost nothing about them.  But, because I'm also a BJD collector, I know what its like to want a grail doll and then to find your grail for a super-high price.  The choice to get them can be a difficult one, indeed.

My grail doll is Hatsune Miku.  I finally found a new fullset one a few days ago for sale, and believe me, I jumped at the chance to get her!  I've wanted one ever since I first saw her in vinyl years ago when she was new, and to have finally found her and to have the opportunity get her...!@onion22@🙌🎊🎉@onion24@

Now, Miku has shipped from Japan, and I'm currently waiting for her to arrive in the US.  While I am waiting, I found out that she originally sold for 62,000 yen, which is about $469.17 as of this post.  With tax and shipping, I ended up paying nearly $1300 for her.  IMVHO, after such a super-long wait, Miku is more than worth it!  

Ryu

Edited by RyuichiSakuma13
clarification
  • Like 4

moerunamida
21 minutes ago, RyuichiSakuma13 said:

Hi, everyone! 👋

I'm new to Dollfies and I know almost nothing about them.  But, because I'm also a BJD collector, I know what its like to want a grail doll and then to find your grail for a super-high price.  The choice to get them can be a difficult one, indeed.

My grail doll is Hatsune Miku.  I finally found a new fullset one a few days ago for sale, and believe me, I jumped at the chance to get her!  I've wanted one ever since I first saw her in vinyl years ago when she was new, and to have finally found her and to have the opportunity get her...!@onion22@🙌🎊🎉@onion24@

Now, Miku has shipped from Japan, and I'm currently waiting for her to arrive in the US.  While I am waiting, I found out that she originally sold for 62,000 yen, which is about $469.17 as of this post.  With tax and shipping, I ended up paying nearly $1300 for her.  IMVHO, after such a super-long wait, Miku is more than worth it!  

Ryu

Welcome to the forum! I'm happy that you were able to get your grail! The secondhand market can feel very defeating, especially if you find a grail that is no longer in production. ♥

• Like 1

r75s0k.gifCircle (Towa) Yui (MDD) Coralie (MDD) 88 (Kizuna AI) 1rukij4.gif

RyuichiSakuma13
7 minutes ago, Eighteafive said:

Welcome to the forum! I'm happy that you were able to get your grail! The secondhand market can feel very defeating, especially if you find a grail that is no longer in production. ♥

Thank you for the welcome!

OOF!  I'm finding out that the secondhand BJD market and the secondhand vinyl market is similar in that respect.  I think I saw Miku soon after she first came out, and I was "so broke I couldn't afford to pay attention." 😅  And then there was the whole "how do I justify spending that kind of money on a vinyl doll?" attitude that I had.  Of course, my attitude has since changed.  

So I waited until I had the opportunity to get her, and then to pay $1300 for her....ouch!

But to me, Miku is worth it. 💙

Ryu

Edited by RyuichiSakuma13
clarification
  • Like 4