Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Starwaia

Furry fandom?

Starwaia

I know, I know, furries have a reputation, but I'm curious if anyone here is interested in fursuits and whatnot? I've been furry-adjacent for a while and one of the big factors in the delay in doll related stuff right now for me is saving for the rights to a character to then make into a fursuit. Sucks having multiple expensive hobbies though!

I'd link pics of the character but she's not mine yet and idk if she'll even still be for sale by the time I have the funds- *crosses fingers for it though*- but I am hoping to make her more of a personal representation if I can get her; the "sona" part of "fursona". I will say that she's a Protogen, if people know that, so that leads to interesting experiments regarding El wire and light-up visors in my future.

I do hope to get back to doll stuff eventually but it's hard having multiple projects at one time. As I mentioned, the character might be unavailable if I don't get the funds soon, so doll savings have been out on hold while I rush for a bit. If it doesn't work out I guess I'll find another character, but I really am holding out hope that she is "the one".

Anyone else in the furry fandom or adjacent sectors? As I can't draw animals for the life of me I only call myself "adjacent" as I'm mostly here for the craftsmanship regarding fursuits- and commissioning other artists I guess. I've heard that the furry fandom is actually one of the better fandoms for getting fair pay for taking commissions for things, so there's that too. But again, it's a pricey hobby.

Got less time to do doll stuff and more time to procrastinate. I'll try to be active here more discussion-wise but no pics or news for a while, unfortunately. Being busy sucks.

Currently watching BNHA, on season 4 and obsessed! (being in a fandom late makes dodging spoilers an issue tho :()
More into Nendoroids than BJDs rn, but I'm waiting for a grail of mine and also hoping to get back into that stuff soon!

That_Dollfie_Dude

I have a bunch of MLP stuff, including some custom made plushies.  I've been to Bronycon twice (back when it was in its prime).  But that's about as close as I come.  I don't have any direct connection to the furry fandom.

F-15alice

I'm kinda one, have a FA account too. My sona is a shark jet mecha but thats about it.

Welcome to my Instagram

7c5ecae5_34a2_4fec_a96f_db8c1b0054bb_by_saturnspace-dbd5hjw.jpg

Lunami Faceup for DD X3

Xiongmao

Definitely never been into this, but I know it's a really popular thing.

Somebody did post a photo of the DD plush penguin suit the other day... I would love that for my girls. I don't know if that counts as fur though.

Xiongmao-Signature-Vinyl-Dolls-December-2023.jpg.092aa55b9a3c11160633f60ad1610e7c.jpg 

My Dollfie doll family 😊.

Oculae

I'm not sure what the cutoff for "being in the furry hobby" is, as I'm not really involved in cons or social media for it, but I do have a fursona and have commissioned a couple furry artists for art of them. It's fun! This is my worm, I love them. 😆

20210525_112616.png.fe7255f0d2721726ac9c901c02b0dc0f.png

Suiting also sounds like a fun idea, but man, it's expensive, even when you have that particular dolly brain sickness that ruins your sense of how expensive something is. ("Oh, 200 is cheap, that's what my Obitsu cost!" 🤣) Maybe I'll one day get crafty enough to make my own, but for now I'm content with this much. 

Even if they're not yours yet, I'm curious! Could you post the Protogen your're looking at with maybe a credit link to the artist?

• Like 2

tumblr_o9govtKpFv1v9twgko1_400.gif.eae368d3c0bfc2a75087167170705ec2.gifPlease ping me when replying!

PolitelyNefarious

I'm not in it, but you could say I'm adjacent to it as I have multiple furry friends, a couple of whom are or were in the doll hobby. I won't deny that the allure of commissioning / picking up some cheaper parts and treating it like any other cosplay is tempting. Or it would be were it not even more expensive than BJD / Dollfie.

As it stands, I do have a fursona collecting dust in my character archives. Back in ye olde DeviantArt days when the furry community was first trending with the Y2K kids, it was a thing that you did. Just because. Just for fun. Everyone had one and I caved to the peer pressure, never realizing that it was a fandom that existed long before in more obscure fashion. He was a goat warlock / necromancer of the eldritch variety, with multiple eyes and tentacles for horns that would mold themselves into various shapes. If I had realized that no, it didn't have to be 'furry', it would have likely been a reptile, insect / arachnid, or cephalopod of some fashion. I never used him; he was created to appease the friends, then stuffed away, never to see the light of day again.

I can't say that I particularly dislike them. I've had mostly positive experiences. In fact, I think it's a shame that they get judged by the bad apples when a good percentage of the community seems fine. Then again, it is such a large community that it's easy to find problematic people and take away that notion. Overall though, few are as wild in person as some of the weirder art and incidents would suggest. They're often excessively friendly, talkative, and enthusiastic. And they make killer art of all kinds- insane amount of talent in one place.

• Like 3

1541664063_324SigUpdate(1).jpg.0e6f96def94bd21c61f91356e0bc8f92.jpg

Hachiihoney

I'm not into full furries, but I do follow a couple of fursuit makers on my socials as it's interesting to see the process of a suit being made!

But I was into the kemonomimi collection hobby for about 2 years plus before deciding to move on, but I still keep a part of my collection should I choose to return back to it someday!

But yes from one expensive hobby to another... T-T

Starwaia

Just realized I never actually replied here- oops!

On 12/31/2022 at 7:19 PM, Oculae said:

This is my worm, I love them. 😆

Aww I love their design!! Worms on a string..s? are really adorable, I'm glad to see they've made a comeback in the common interest honestly. Though I wasn't aware of them the first time around so the nostalgia factor is less prominent for me than the cuteness factor. But I ramble ^w^

On 12/31/2022 at 7:19 PM, Oculae said:

Could you post the Protogen your're looking at with maybe a credit link to the artist?

Unfortunately given that I don't know officially that she's for sale (the page says her "worth" and what kind of characters they would be interested for in a trade, but it could be that way from when the character was transferred over- it's on a website called toyhou.se where people create official pages for their characters and collect/curate related artwork, so it could be that the current owner never modified the info) I don't feel comfortable linking to her because in a way that would put pressure on the owner, even unknowingly. It could sort of be seen as acting like I have some claim on her when there's no guarantee I'll be able to get her.

I plan to DM the owner about it when I actually have the funds to back it up, and if they say no I'll just deal with that and accept it. I don't want to make any sort of action towards acquiring ownership when I don't have the money ready- it would be a waste of their time in a similar way to messaging someone with "serious offers only" about a doll they have for sale if I wasn't planning to buy- that sort of thing.

I will say that she has a lot of ultramarine blue and steel gray/almost black coloration, and her visor (protogens have them) is a lovely shade of blue that I imagine will be a huge pain to recreate in a fursuit in such a way to allow for visibility while still making it look good... but I have some ideas of how to manage. If I get her she'll have the sort of personality of a cool bounty hunter/enforcer who secretly is kind of a dork but has to put on a facade in a way. I think that will be fun, but I have other ideas if I can't get that specific character for what I might look for in a fursona.

On 12/31/2022 at 10:39 PM, PolitelyNefarious said:

it was a thing that you did.

Tell me about it. ^^; My sibling convinced me to make my first fursona when they were 12 and I was 14 and while I still have the character artwork and ownership of the design now, I can't believe how complicated I made the tail markings. That I can share a picture of, but try imagine constructing that pattern with faux fur. She's basically impossible to make into a fursuit and I'm not that big a fan of the design, but here's Remy.

Spoiler

19799313_yYqUth2QoEwKUeR.jpg?1640060952

That's the art my sibling did, I instructed the design. I've done better art of her since but I'm a bit self conscious about it rn. Maybe someday! I did change her name to be short for Remorse and I use her as kind of what people call a "vent sona". She's not representative of my main self and the sole character trait 14yo me gave her was "evil".

On 12/31/2022 at 10:39 PM, PolitelyNefarious said:

no, it didn't have to be 'furry'

People will sometimes refer to anthro characters without fur but with scales of some nature as "scalies", but it does fall under the furry umbrella so to speak. I've never actually seen people gatekeep species like that (except for the "closed species"- there's drama re: that that would have you believe the entire community is toxic, unfortunately, and on toyhou.se most of it is- even for non-furries. That's a whole rabbit hole we don't need to go down. I just use it to store my characters).

But I've so many creative non-furry, non mammal anthros, they should get more appreciation honestly. It's too bad you didn't get a chance to get more involved due to that, but if you've moved on at this point anyway no worries, it's not everyone's "thing".

On 12/31/2022 at 5:58 PM, Mega Negi said:

I like catgirls.

You might like @K-2's MADh Vinyl photostories, there are plenty of cute catgirls there too! IDK if catgirls are furry-adjacent or considered furry themselves, again being not hugely involved in the fandom I can't say for sure. But the one you shared sure is cute! 😄

Got less time to do doll stuff and more time to procrastinate. I'll try to be active here more discussion-wise but no pics or news for a while, unfortunately. Being busy sucks.

Currently watching BNHA, on season 4 and obsessed! (being in a fandom late makes dodging spoilers an issue tho :()
More into Nendoroids than BJDs rn, but I'm waiting for a grail of mine and also hoping to get back into that stuff soon!

LamiaNymph

I am actually a part of the fandom. Although I personally don’t ever plan on getting a fursuit or anything like that, I do really admire them!

NeeP

I am not a furry, but admire the work and details that goes into the fandom.  But growing up, my favorite cartoon shows and comics had anthropomorphic characters, and I am an avid Sonic the Hedgehog fan.  The closest I have to a furry costume is my homemade Knuckles costume.  I had no idea what I was doing then and I am currently investigating the ins and outs of fursuit creation to apply to my next costume project. 

But yeah, it’s a pretty nickel nowadays (pennies don’t exist in Canada anymore) to get the right materials for the job.  And hard to find certain fabric in person too.

I wish the OP the best of luck.

Niki P.

Vinyl brood at home: Len, Noah, Kenji, Rinto, Kiri, Eiji, Anais, Rin, ‘Red’, Lenka, Kai, Midoriya, Marc, ‘Sue’, Terra, Night, Frankie, Anna and Chitose.