Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
milkychan

Queer Collector Collects Queer Things

milkychan

Hello, good morning, and good night!

You can call me Milky. I’m a 19 year old queer trans boy (he/it) who has finally learned to be comfortable with his more “feminine” interests (though collecting needs no label)! I have never owned a BJD before, but have expressed interest in them for the past decade, and now that I’ve gained a steady income I can finally begin to genuinely hunt for the dolls I fell in love with all those years ago!

Though I don’t own a BJD quite yet, I do collect other dolls from lines like My Little Pony (my special interest!!) and Monster High. I own almost every released brushable MLP figure from G4!

When I’m not working, I’m likely playing genshin or project diva, or shopping for my assorted collections. Dolls, brand lolita clothing, and anime figures are currently my main focus.

i hope to meet like minded people here, and possibly make some friends! It gets lonely in this hot southern doll-damaging climate. Good afternoon, good evening, and good night!

with love,

milky-chan 

• Like 8

RetroKanojo

Hey Milky-chan, welcome to the forum!

I totally get what you mean when you say you're finally able to be comfortable with your more 'feminine' interests. That's definitely something I've struggled with in the past as well and MLP, Monster High and now Dollfie Dreams really helped me on the way!

Is there a specific doll/brand that you are interested in when it comes to BJD/Vinyl dolls? 

• Like 1

milkychan
3 hours ago, RetroKanojo said:

Hey Milky-chan, welcome to the forum!

I totally get what you mean when you say you're finally able to be comfortable with your more 'feminine' interests. That's definitely something I've struggled with in the past as well and MLP, Monster High and now Dollfie Dreams really helped me on the way!

Is there a specific doll/brand that you are interested in when it comes to BJD/Vinyl dolls? 

The first I discovered was Dollfie Dream, but I remember REALLY falling in love with the brand and the dolls when the Hatsune Miku collaboration released. I’d started listening to Vocaloid music in elementary, and seeing this larger-than-life doll when i was younger was so exciting. To this day, she is my holy grail! 

That specific doll lead me down a rabbit hole. I’d already been collecting (doll collecting seems to run in the family, my inheritance of the family heirloom at 15 was, quite literally, a huge vintage doll collection) and this world of dolls that I saw as such a luxury was intriguing to my little mind. I loved seeing people customize them, create worlds for them, watching videos about their creation as a whole. 

The Miku Dollfie means a great deal to me because of that; she lit up a huge fire!! But not in a bad way. I want the entire Vocaloid series, but her specific addition to my collection is an absolute must.

• Like 2

RetroKanojo

What an excellent choice!

I have a lot of love (and nostalgia haha) for Vocaloid, so I can totally see the appeal of wanting to have your very own Miku in DD form! I do see her pop up on Yahoo! Japan Auctions every now and again - there is one available right now, but I think it's the older model using the older body. It is apparently completely unopened, but the price is unfortunately a lot steeper than what I usually see her going for. She's actually more expensive than some of the ones on Ebay and Ebay is known to be overpriced.

If you are interested in collecting all the Vocaloids, KAITO is currently on preorder, but only until December 4th! Since he is one of the few limited male DDs I'd expect him to go up in price on the aftermarket, so it might be financially smarter to try and get him now. If you order from Volks Japan you only have to put down a deposit right now and then pay the rest once the doll is about ready to ship. So, if you don't have the money just yet, you would have some time to save up for the full amount. Just ignore this blurb, if you knew all of that already, btw. @onion9@ 

I'm also one of those who preordered KAITO, he'll be my second DD and my first Vocaloid. I'd love to have some form of Miku representation on my doll shelf, but space is already very limited. Who knows, who knows..

• Like 1

milkychan

I’m a bit odd and will always prefer original releases over reboots or rereleases. I don’t know, there’s just something about their age that makes them seem all the more special to me.

Her price has gone up quite a bit I’ve found, and even though I can comfortably afford most of the prices people are asking for her, I know it wouldn’t be the fairest price overall. I think the last time I saw her for a good price was on amiami pre owned a couple weeks ago, I think it was around 700-800? But when she goes for a good price, she goes fast. My major doll goal of 2023 is setting aside a separate fund just for Miku and her assorted accessories. That way, the moment I see the perfect opportunity, I won’t miss it. Even if she were to be the only doll I got for a year, I’d be perfectly satisfied. 

I so wanted to preorder KAITO, but I don’t get paid till the 8th and I had bills (Ew. Adult.) and he isn’t my highest priority, I much prefer girl dolls over boy dolls! My priority goes Miku, Luka, Rin, Kaito, and then Len. It’ll likely take me a few years to get the whole gang together.

maankatje2000
8 hours ago, milkychan said:

The first I discovered was Dollfie Dream, but I remember REALLY falling in love with the brand and the dolls when the Hatsune Miku collaboration released. I’d started listening to Vocaloid music in elementary, and seeing this larger-than-life doll when i was younger was so exciting. To this day, she is my holy grail! 

That specific doll lead me down a rabbit hole. I’d already been collecting (doll collecting seems to run in the family, my inheritance of the family heirloom at 15 was, quite literally, a huge vintage doll collection) and this world of dolls that I saw as such a luxury was intriguing to my little mind. I loved seeing people customize them, create worlds for them, watching videos about their creation as a whole. 

The Miku Dollfie means a great deal to me because of that; she lit up a huge fire!! But not in a bad way. I want the entire Vocaloid series, but her specific addition to my collection is an absolute must.

Welcome to the forum, I am also pretty new here :)

Hatsune Miku is such a cutie, I think Volks really captured her well. She and Luka are my favourites from the Vocaloid gang. I haven't managed to snag her up yet because other dollies can along xD.

Rajke

Welcome to the Forums 

@onion12@

getting a first release Miku sounds like a nice target. Hope you will find one for a good price. 
Also a figure collector here. 
@onion20@

greetz,

Rajke 

@onion20@   This is a signature.

Xiongmao

Welcome Milky Chan!

Like many guys I got into the BJD hobby because I wanted a Miku but eventually I went for DDdy Towa because I love her curves and we just bought a Miku wig for her. Now I have (check my sig) a house full. I can highly recommend the DDS line as they're nice and poseable and there's also a big range of outfits for them. Uzuki Shimamura is a lovely doll, although Kizuna AI is worth checking out too as she might do well now she's getting an anime. Also check out MDD Rena Ryugu as she's still available and is truly gorgeous.

I do have a lot of Azone Pureneemos too. They're more portable, storable and also very poseable (except the vintage ones get very creaky).

I've visited Japan 4 times and have a few figures from the old days. I just collected a load of stuff from my mom's attic and I'm overjoyed to realise I have a big Ikki Tousen shopping bag (my Dollfies have a couple of vintage outfits from that anime).

I do enjoy going round my 2 yo nieces house because she's got so much awesome stuff. I found a MLP but better still she has Sylvanian Families!!!

On the downside BJD collecting can be costly and addictive... I've just bought Kagamine Rin 🤯.

• Like 1

Xiongmao-Signature-Vinyl-Dolls-December-2023.jpg.092aa55b9a3c11160633f60ad1610e7c.jpg 

My Dollfie doll family 😊.