The Ecchizonans

Zoom Meetup

Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

RyuichiSakuma13

Are There Ever Any Dolpa Events in the United States?

RyuichiSakuma13

I also have a few newbie questions to ask. 

Are there ever any Dolpa/Volks Dollfie events held in the US?  If so, where and when are they held?  Are they only in Japan?  Is there an online schedule or calendar in English?

Ryu

chantelle

I’m not sure if there were any before that (outside of Japan) but they had a Dolpa in Los Angeles in 2019. I’ve always regretted not going since I don’t know when the next one will be. I assume most Dolpas in USA will be in California since Volks USA is there.

Edited by chantelle

battrastard

I would love to go to a Dolpa in the US! 

Sadly, there's only one Volks store in the US, and mostly(only?) covers the US, Canada and Mexico/South America. 

Being in Southern California, I can see how that would be difficult for folks to travel to, without a serious amount of warning when the next one will be held.. 

Even if only held every few years or so, I think they would be seriously overwhelmed! 

"Madness takes it's toll, Please have exact change!"

BeyondTime
39 minutes ago, RyuichiSakuma13 said:

I also have a few newbie questions to ask. 

Are there ever any Dolpa/Volks Dollfie events held in the US?  If so, where and when are they held?  Are they only in Japan?  Is there an online schedule or calendar in English?

Volks USA does attend some of the large anime cons, but I think they haven't done so since Covid. 

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Emil

Prior to covid, they had Dolpa LA about every 2 years, I heard there was Dolpa NY in the aughts as well, with the last one I could find being labelled Dolpa New York 3. As for DPLA, there was one in 2015, 2017, and 2019, I don't know what year the other one is (2013 I guess?) but 2019 was advertised as 4th DPLA.

Also, Dolpa LA 2019 was announced the December prior (LA Dolpa was usually around September, this is over a year to prepare.) 

Edited by Emil
additional info
  • Like 1

MagnoliaCamellia AmaryllisCarnationHyacinth Bluebell | Alyssum ClematisEmilia Dahlia | Gardenia Hydrangea

~ Florens Academy of Witchcraft ~

monkeypizzasonic

I went to one of the NY Dolpas way back when! I got my Yosd Alice from there. Unfortunately, a few years later some of the dolls on display got stolen (because New York won't let us have nice things) and they decided to only hold them in LA from then on.

I wish they would try again, or that there was a doll convention on the east coast, or anything.  

• Sad 1

RyuichiSakuma13
4 hours ago, Tira said:

They did have a booth at Anime Expo this year.

That's great to know!  Now I need to go to Anime Expo...if they decide to go.

2 hours ago, monkeypizzasonic said:

I went to one of the NY Dolpas way back when! I got my Yosd Alice from there. Unfortunately, a few years later some of the dolls on display got stolen (because New York won't let us have nice things) and they decided to only hold them in LA from then on.

I wish they would try again, or that there was a doll convention on the east coast, or anything.  

Ugh, I live only 2 hours from NYC, it would have been great to go to one held there!  I wasn't into vinyl dolls then, and since I'm still waiting for my first to be released from US customs.... 🤷‍♂️

How much of a warning do they give before they announce when/where they will be?  Is there some place they do so, or would I need to keep checking their website?

Thank you everyone for responding. 🙂

Ryu

BeyondTime
6 minutes ago, RyuichiSakuma13 said:

How much of a warning do they give before they announce when/where they will be?  Is there some place they do so, or would I need to keep checking their website?

As long as you are on their mailing list you'll get emails about upcoming events, including the Dolpa. 

• Thanks 1

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

RyuichiSakuma13
34 minutes ago, BeyondTime said:

As long as you are on their mailing list you'll get emails about upcoming events, including the Dolpa. 

Thank you, I just joined it.

Ryu

hats
On 12/28/2022 at 7:18 AM, monkeypizzasonic said:

I remember this! It was held at the FIT campus and a whole bunch of one-off dolls got stolen overnight. There was actually supposed to be another NY Dolpa the following year (2009 I believe), but it was cancelled due to the swine flu. They had switched to just LA after that.

Poofiemus

Man I really hope we get another LA Dolpa in the near future, I would love to go! Though, it would be super hard to decide which plastic midgets to bring with me. I know Dolpas only want all-Volks dolls (no hybrids), but that doesn't narrow things down very much for me lol. DDs still dominate my collection. 

I did hear from a few people who went to the 2019 LA Dolpa that some people here coordinated a meet so forum peeps from all over could finally meet in person. Plus, since Volks knows that people are coming from much farther than they do for Dolpas in Japan, they actually made it a couple days, instead of just one like the Japanese Dolpas are. 

• Like 2

In this household, sanity is considered a tresspasser.

BeyondTime
2 hours ago, Poofiemus said:

Plus, since Volks knows that people are coming from much farther than they do for Dolpas in Japan, they actually made it a couple days, instead of just one like the Japanese Dolpas are. 

Day 1 was classes and the tea party. Someone did coordinate a get together for people who didn't get to go to the tea party. It was at some heavily Disney themed cafe iirc. 

Day 2 was the big Dolpa style sales event with the similar shop, third party vendors, and an auction. 

Unfortunately, Covid probably makes it too big a financial risk to consider at the moment. Not only do they have to worry about high enough attendance, but they had a big chunk of their Japan staff fly over too, and there are risks around that. I'm not sure they sold all the dolls either; I seem to recall them having a fair number left after the lottery, and they had to call for volunteers who were interested in playing rock paper scissors with the president to win the right to buy them. 

It was a lot of fun and I hope they do it again, but I can understand them waiting till things normalize. 

• Like 1

RyuichiSakuma13
On 12/29/2022 at 5:26 PM, Poofiemus said:

I did hear from a few people who went to the 2019 LA Dolpa that some people here coordinated a meet so forum peeps from all over could finally meet in person. Plus, since Volks knows that people are coming from much farther than they do for Dolpas in Japan, they actually made it a couple days, instead of just one like the Japanese Dolpas are. 

I could potentially do a weekend, if I save up enough to go, that is.  Flying from the East Coast to the West Coast is currently super-expensive though.  And there's no way I would drive it! 😓

On 12/29/2022 at 7:58 PM, BeyondTime said:

Day 1 was classes and the tea party. Someone did coordinate a get together for people who didn't get to go to the tea party. It was at some heavily Disney themed cafe iirc. 

Day 2 was the big Dolpa style sales event with the similar shop, third party vendors, and an auction. 

Unfortunately, Covid probably makes it too big a financial risk to consider at the moment. Not only do they have to worry about high enough attendance, but they had a big chunk of their Japan staff fly over too, and there are risks around that. I'm not sure they sold all the dolls either; I seem to recall them having a fair number left after the lottery, and they had to call for volunteers who were interested in playing rock paper scissors with the president to win the right to buy them. 

It was a lot of fun and I hope they do it again, but I can understand them waiting till things normalize. 

A tea party?  I'm a huge tea drinker, so I'd love to go to one!  Did you have to dress up for it?  I could wear a suit and tie, or bondage pants and a cool t-shirt.... 🤔

I think for me, it would be more the classes, tea party and seeing other Dolpa/DollDreaming members, since all of my very limited funds would probably go for paying for my plane ticket and hotel room. 😓

Ryu 

BeyondTime
6 hours ago, RyuichiSakuma13 said:

A tea party?  I'm a huge tea drinker, so I'd love to go to one!  Did you have to dress up for it?  I could wear a suit and tie, or bondage pants and a cool t-shirt....

You didn't have to dress up, but there was theme if you wanted to. The idea was to dress both you and a doll up in accordance with the theme. 

RyuichiSakuma13
18 hours ago, BeyondTime said:

You didn't have to dress up, but there was theme if you wanted to. The idea was to dress both you and a doll up in accordance with the theme. 

I wouldn't mind wearing something that goes along with whatever Miku would wear....

Ryu

monkeypizzasonic

I just want them to host something on the East Coast again. Maybe a one-day thing in NY so they don't have to worry about leaving dolls out overnight? Or they could come to Florida and do something in Orlando, since they have the Disney license...

• Like 2

That_Dollfie_Dude

I can't wait for Dolpa to come back to the US.  I really want to go!

meef

I’ve wished since day one they would do one in Chicago for us Midwest peeps, but no dice. I don’t see why not, there’s a pretty big Japanese population north of the city.

RyuichiSakuma13

Someone explained that "quite a few of their dolls were stolen while they were in NYC, so now, they only do the one in LA, since they have a store there." 

Its a real bummer, since I'm a couple of hours from NYC, and I would go in a heartbeat!  I can't afford to fly out, pay for a hotel room, food, and then have anything left over for buying doll-related items.  @onion16@

Ryu

Edited by RyuichiSakuma13

meef

Hmm, from what I remember, they were only in New York because Haute Doll magazine hosted them. The theft was terrible but after that I would see little security wires on their dolls at events so they did learn from it. 

I do imagine having an event near their location in LA is easy for them  to plan, though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1