Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

FintasticPlastik

Advice for storing Dollfie Dreams

FintasticPlastik

Hello everyone,

So I’ll likely be moving soon and started storing some of my collection in anticipation for the move. I wanted to get some advice from you all, how do you store your Dollfie Dreams for temporary storage/a move? Most of my 1/6 dolls and figures are being stored in cardboard boxes but I don’t know how to go about storing my DD girls. Ideally I wish I had boxes like Volks packages their licensed character DDs. Is there something similar to those boxes I can purchase for my girls? 

Any tips would be appreciated!

RetroKanojo

When I moved, I put my DD back into her original packaging. Assuming that's not available to you there's a few other things you could do. 

First of all, I'd remove the wig and store that away separately. Get some unprinted paper or paper towels, scrunch it into a ball and stuff it into the wig so it keeps its shape. A hairnet to go around it would be good, but just putting it in a small container with some more padding should also work?

You might or might not want to take off the head as well. I don't think I would bother with factory face-up heads, but if I had a custom, I would probably store that separately. You can buy protective face-masks for your heads on various sides.  

For the doll itself, I would wrap her into a clear plastic bag (absolutely make sure that it is clean beforehand!) - a couple layers of cling film should also work? Depending on whether or not space is an issue, you could probably also disassemble the doll. After that, I'd wrap her in some more padding - a white towel or bubble wrap if that's available. After that, she'd be ready to go into a box or bag. I'd pad it out with clothes or more towels, but I'd be careful not to stack *too much* on top of her. If you move using your car, make sure to put the dolls on top of the other stuff.

In general, I guess there's three things I'd watch out for:

- Make sure the doll is safe from staining

- Make sure the doll doesn't get crunched under too much weight

- Make sure the doll doesn't loosely bump around inside her temporary storage space

Like I said, I only really have experience in moving 1 DD and I had the luxury of being able to put her into her original box and put her in my car on top of all my other stuff (Although I agonized over how to transport her in case that wouldn't be possible for a long time @onion4@).

Maybe others have more insight than me, but I hope you and your dolls will have a safe trip if or when the move happens! @onion20@

Edited by RetroKanojo
Removed the mention of old newspaper
  • Like 1

Xiongmao

All but one of my girls (a Dream Choice) have their original boxes, and I've also kept the Mandarake doll sized boxes they come in.

Remember to use the wig nets too - they really help keep them manageable.

AliExpress also sell doll sleeping bags - they're quite cheap and also padded.

• Like 1

Xiongmao-Signature-Vinyl-Dolls-December-2023.jpg.092aa55b9a3c11160633f60ad1610e7c.jpg 

My Dollfie doll family 😊.

Jezrah
17 hours ago, RetroKanojo said:

First of all, I'd remove the wig and store that away separately. Get some old newspaper or paper towels, scrunch it into a ball and stuff it into the wig so it keeps its shape.

Fully agree with most of your post, but I personally would not use old newspaper even in just the wig since I'd be afraid that the ink could rub off inside the wig cap and then get on the doll's head. Paper towels or unprinted paper are fine though.

• Like 4

32717445532_3aa446bd94_m.jpg

puxlavoix
1 hour ago, Jezrah said:

I personally would not use old newspaper even in just the wig since I'd be afraid that the ink could rub off inside the wig cap and then get on the doll's head. Paper towels or unprinted paper are fine though.

My same thoughts 

• Like 1

1505193317_sig1copy.png.892dcb9d95734be68d4282d5f06843bb.png1495205582_sig2copy.png.b9f2cb50f3c66e638bd5c8a75bd10688.png

puxlavoix

Would be helpful to know more about your moving: is it by car, tow, moving company, plane? 

I moved some months ago and I figured the easiest hassle free way was to take all the girls in the car with me on the very last trip like this:

Just put the ones that fitted inside the plastic bin and also went the aforementioned towel approach for the others, taking their wigs off before so. 

20230130_003056.png

Edited by puxlavoix
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

1505193317_sig1copy.png.892dcb9d95734be68d4282d5f06843bb.png1495205582_sig2copy.png.b9f2cb50f3c66e638bd5c8a75bd10688.png

RetroKanojo
6 hours ago, Jezrah said:

Fully agree with most of your post, but I personally would not use old newspaper even in just the wig since I'd be afraid that the ink could rub off inside the wig cap and then get on the doll's head. Paper towels or unprinted paper are fine though.

That's a good point, I didn't think of that! I edited my post to change it up, just in case someone reads it in the future. I'd hate if someone took that advice and then ended up with stains. @onion13@

• Like 1

FintasticPlastik

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I’ll be moving them by car. I was mostly interested to see if there were boxes similar to the boxes licensed character DDs come in for my custom girls. 

RetroKanojo

Oh, pardon me, I think you mean boxes that come with the 'bra straps' to keep the doll in place? Unfortunately I don't think you can buy those separately anywhere. Your best bet would probably be to go for a similarly sized regular cardboard box? Technically you could pad that out and even add straps yourself for a safe hibernation place for your dolls.

I'd measure my box, but it's all the way up on a wardrobe and I can't easily get it down, but I found a cardboard box being sold online that is 800mmx200mmx150mm. I think I'm actually currently storing my DD box inside one of those (stacking empty boxes inside of each other to safe space), so it'd definitely would fit a single doll, but it would likely be too big. There's another box that is 700x150x150mm that should probably be a good size? 

Anyway, just have a look around with those dimensions in mind and you should be able to find something, if that's the route you'd want to go! I think it might be cheaper to store them together in a plastic box rather than buying each their separate abode though.

• Thanks 1

ragnamuffin
4 hours ago, FintasticPlastik said:

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I’ll be moving them by car. I was mostly interested to see if there were boxes similar to the boxes licensed character DDs come in for my custom girls. 

I think if you don’t have boxes, the best/easiest thing to do would be to get a carrying case. An official Volks carry case can store up to three DDs and even more MDDs.

I briefly considered throwing out my dolls’ boxes for a carry case to save space, but ultimately decided against it because they help retain the doll’s value. Since that’s not a consideration, I would go for it.

• Thanks 1

Mo3cha

Idk if this is just a personal issue but I think it's also important to not keep the vinyl sealed in cling wrap for too long (more than a few days) and to open it/let it air out as soon as you can. I once kept cling wrap on one of my DDs for a few days and when I took off the cling wrap it felt a bit moist.

jazijaz

I moved a lot, like every year I'm moving. In fact, I moved a month ago and their original boxes are a life saver!!! I usually leave everything to the movers except my dolls, I put all the boxes in my car. I can fit 2 dolls in one of those boxes. For the ones who don't have boxes I just purchase a box from staples.