Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

RiverRealms

Displaying dolls sitting down

RiverRealms

Years back I had a 1/6 scale vinyl body obitsu girl that I displayed sitting down for months. When I had her stand up again the vinyl in the crotch area had formed quite a bulge (we're talking close to what resin BJD boys often get when the sculptors don't want to sculpt details down there) and it didn't disappear for a very long time. I was wondering if this was also an issue with smartdolls?

Does anyone here display their dolls sitting down for long periods of time and has it ever caused issues?

moerunamida

I don't have Smart Dolls anymore, but the vinyl on DDs is softer. I would often have my dolls kneeling if not in a stand, and I would put paper towel under their knees. Their knees would eventually show faint wear marks from where they are kneeling. I suspect the same would happen if you have your Smart Doll sitting for long periods of time. Try to change up how they are displayed. Also, be aware of clothing that can stain. Pressure even with lighter dyed fabrics can leave marks where dolls were kneeling, standing or sitting.

Wear and tear is something that is inevitably part of owning vinyl dolls. I consider the marks proof of how much I love them, because they aren't mint and pristine if that makes any sense ♥

r75s0k.gifCircle (Towa) Yui (MDD) Coralie (MDD) 88 (Kizuna AI) 1rukij4.gif

Akai Okami

The smartdoll lower torso is a very hard vinyl so it doesn't warp very easily. My oldest smartdoll is almost 7 years and she spends most of her downtime sitting on a shelf and it hasn't warped or changed her at all. She does get a little dent below her navel from her shorts button if she wears those too long, which comes out easily with a bit of blow drying heat. But she and my other 2 have held up very well to sitting for long periods of time. The only concern is outfit wrinkles. lol

obitsu_sig.jpg.b3c45109fdd3585a9f55346abae64554.jpg

RiverRealms
27 minutes ago, Eighteafive said:

I don't have Smart Dolls anymore, but the vinyl on DDs is softer. I would often have my dolls kneeling if not in a stand, and I would put paper towel under their knees. Their knees would eventually show faint wear marks from where they are kneeling. I suspect the same would happen if you have your Smart Doll sitting for long periods of time. Try to change up how they are displayed. Also, be aware of clothing that can stain. Pressure even with lighter dyed fabrics can leave marks where dolls were kneeling, standing or sitting.

Wear and tear is something that is inevitably part of owning vinyl dolls. I consider the marks proof of how much I love them, because they aren't mint and pristine if that makes any sense ♥

My only real experience with vinyl dolls was that tiny obitsu and her body was extremely soft so that's probably why it got that bad. I'm not super worried about staining as I'm either using white clothes or clothes that are lined, so staining should be minimal and I know this site has some stain removal tips for when that becomes necessary.

I get you with the loved look and in general I agree with that. I just wondered if my brand new girl would get a serious case of the bulge if I let her sit in a chair for a couple of days. That obitsu experience definitely left its mark in my memory 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

RiverRealms
35 minutes ago, Akai Okami said:

The smartdoll lower torso is a very hard vinyl so it doesn't warp very easily. My oldest smartdoll is almost 7 years and she spends most of her downtime sitting on a shelf and it hasn't warped or changed her at all. She does get a little dent below her navel from her shorts button if she wears those too long, which comes out easily with a bit of blow drying heat. But she and my other 2 have held up very well to sitting for long periods of time. The only concern is outfit wrinkles. lol

Glad to hear about the harder vinyl. My new girl isn't home yet, so I haven't gotten a feel for how her vinyl is yet, but I'm relieved to hear that having her sit in a chair for a couple of days to a week shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the tip with the hairdryer, I'll keep that in mind if it ever becomes necessary 🙂

Tierparkzone
1 hour ago, RiverRealms said:

Thanks for the tip with the hairdryer, I'll keep that in mind if it ever becomes necessary 🙂

I play with my dolls a little too often to have ever seen an impact on the vinyl caused by sitting. - But indeed, dents and deformations in the vinyl can easily be treated with a hair dryer. Works for Smart Dolls just as well as for DDs or Obitsus.

• Like 1