Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
dolloramore

Sealant tips and how to remove faceup!

dolloramore

Hi everyone, I tried my first faceup on a vinyl doll and had some problems with it so i'm here for some help 😅

So, I painted my Obitsu 50 head (picture in spoilers below) I used Mr.Hobby mat sealant and even days after it dried it was sticky (I never had this issue on resin, i've been painting garage kits for some time using the same can of sealant) I tried to add a thin layer in hopes that it will supress it. Lo and behold it worked! So after a few days of drying I warped it in thick tissue and stored it since I don't have yet a body to put it on.

I went to get it to test eyes i've drawn in preparation of DIY follow me eyes (please don't judge my ugly cut paper lmao) and saw that the head had stuck to the tissue, I gently tried to remove it and it left traces that I can't remove...

Spoiler

f.png.1158a58ce6719bdd3b4ab5704908d611.png

I want to start over due to the tissue who got stuck and as i'm unhappy with my faceup:

How can I remove it safely and what products can I use that are avaiable in Europe? (I'm afraid of damaging the vinyl 🤧)

What sealant would you recommend for vinyl dolls? How can I avoid the sealant becoming sticky?

Thanks!

Tira

Acetone is safe for removing face-ups on vinyl; rubbing alcohol has also worked for me for removing my own face-ups, but won't budge factory paint.

Mr. Super Clear is the most widely recommended sealant. It does a good job at both protecting the existing paint and providing a base to paint on. This Reddit post has some alternatives if that isn't available. Make sure to read the comments, because some of the other options have caveats to keep in mind.

• Like 1

RozenGermain
1 hour ago, Tira said:

Mr. Super Clear is the most widely recommended sealant. It does a good job at both protecting the existing paint and providing a base to paint on. This Reddit post has some alternatives if that isn't available. Make sure to read the comments, because some of the other options have caveats to keep in mind.

MSC Has it's caveats too, mainly regarding humidity, weather, and temperature. There's also fumes to be aware of but I'm pretty sure OP has the materials to deal with that like I do.

• Like 1

dolloramore

Thank you both for your reply!

On 7/30/2023 at 10:55 PM, Tira said:

Acetone is safe for removing face-ups on vinyl; rubbing alcohol has also worked for me for removing my own face-ups, but won't budge factory paint.

This post is very useful thank you!

In the end I removed the faceup using my Tamiya airbrush cleaner (maybe not the best thing to do but I live in a very rural town with no supplies avaiable near me) it didn't damage the vinyl thankfully! I've ordered rubbing alcohol so I won't have to pull this stunt again lmao

On 7/31/2023 at 12:28 AM, RozenGermain said:

MSC Has it's caveats too, mainly regarding humidity, weather, and temperature. There's also fumes to be aware of but I'm pretty sure OP has the materials to deal with that like I do.

I've ordered MSC to replace my Mr.Hobby top coat, I have a airbrush booth and all protections needed to use it safely 😄

dolloramore

Update: MSC is amazing actually! It was very easy and pleasant to work with 😄

Here's the updated head results, I painted it with Zero from Drakengard 3 in head but I might look for an other sculpt for her!

IMG_20230806_153510.jpg.6cf95f264a113f134b58bd2924c6e216.jpg

IMG_20230806_153502.jpg.ce064b3d1ca72e1eec22a237db5d5ff2.jpg

IMG_20230806_153609.jpg.cefb6ec64602460c9f9fab9f6f7c52a3.jpg

• Like 4