Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
sunlightandtea

Fighting Focal Points

sunlightandtea

Hello! I have a Nikon D3500 using a 18-55 mm lens. I use it in the shutter priority mode, and I mess with the aperture and exposure time. Although, I am still learning these concepts as well.

Despite this, I still have an issue with my images focus.

In the example below, you can see that the most in-focus part is the zipper (of all things...). I have tried experimenting with the autofocus ability of the camera to try to get it to laser in on things like eyes, but this isn't always successful.

How can I get an image like this one to be completely in focus the whole way, that is, the entire subject and in this case, the background are clear? Do I need to hold the camera further away? Do I need to light my images more? Is it the autofocus? ... Help.

spacer.png

Any other critique and tips is much appreciated, I have so much to learn !!

Edited by sunlightandtea

chef_mai

To answer your question directly, you should double-check what autofocus mode your camera's set to. Is it the kind where your camera picks the point for you, or can you at least have it pick from whatever's in the center?

If it's picking the center, what you want to do is aim the camera at the eyes with the eyes in the center of the viewfinder, lock focus, then recompose (re-aim) the image to what you want.

Better yet is grid or spot focus mode that lets you pick what part of the image to focus on with more precision. 

If you want more of the image in focus, you need to take the photo from farther away and stop down the aperture to a higher f-number. Exactly what this is will depend on your setup, so I'll avoid giving exact numbers.

Stopping down to a higher f-number will increase the exposure time. You may need to use a tripod or increase the ISO to eliminate camera shake if the image comes out blurry.

Unrelated, but in general, you want to be using aperture priority to shoot your images since this is a still subject. Shutter priority is when you want to control the exposure time for stuff in motion.

Edited by chef_mai
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2