Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Azurluna

Pre-Washing Dollfie Dream Clothes?

Azurluna

Hello! This is my first post, so I’m sorry if this is a repetitive post or anything of the sort, but information I found in searches is kind of fragmented and I’d like some clarification if possible.

I’ve got my first dollfie dream due to arrive soon, and while from what I can find staining is more or less an eventual inevitability, I want to try my best to prevent any staining where possible. I’ve ordered some clothes with her from Volks and I’m wondering if it is best to pre-wash any of them before wearing to remove excess dye, particularly with the red hoodie from this outfit:

https://dollfie.ec.volks.co.jp/item/4518992415130.html

or grey arm covers such as these:

https://dollfie.ec.volks.co.jp/item/4518992435336.html

I did order a bodysuit with her as I figured it wouldn’t hurt to have in case any clothes pose a high stain risk, but I would like to display her joints naturally where possible. Thanks in advance for any information or tips anyone can provide!

• Like 2

ragnamuffin

The arm covers shouldn’t be a problem, but the hoodie very well could be.

You can try washing out any excess dye and having her wear a bodysuit underneath, which should eliminate most of the risk, even better if she only wears it for short periods of time, but if it’s gonna stain it’s gonna stain. The dye can transfer from your hands to the doll even if you can’t see it—this happened to me a couple of days ago, unfortunately it’s the nature of the beast.

When it happens, pick up some Dream Rescue or any of the alternatives suggested on this site. Heat seems to speed up the destaining process.

• Like 1

Azurluna

I see, thanks for the info! Most of the clothing items I’ve got are light or white coloured, so she’ll be dressed in those most of the time. I’ll be saving that hoodie for shorter sessions, like photoshoots then.

Also interesting to hear about dye transfer via hands, I didn’t even think of that lol. Good to know!

puxlavoix

Personally I think body suits are a major eyesore, though a necessity for many people. Besides looking weird and ugly they do not protect other areas of your doll skin, like hands or arms which will come in contact with it. I have a couple myself but will only use them as a last resort.

Unless light-colored you can asume almost everything dark or very bright will stain your doll, with a special mention to black and dark items which will stain 90% of the times unless specified (this doesn't apply to volks dark colored clothes which ALL stain given enough time). 

Some Volks' items will stain your doll instantly, while some others will take some days, weeks or months to do so. Or in some cases the dye will unknowingly transfer to your hands and then to your doll. Its almost a  supernatural occurence but it does happen.

What I do is wash the excess die of any suspected offender under the faucet with dish soap at least a couple times. Dish soap will insantly loosen any excess dye off and by the first rinse you will notice how much of it does come out: if it completely painted the water bright with color you'll have to do it several times over, but if its very faint you're probably be safe with a couple rinses.

Whatever option you gi, in time you'll learn to tell which garments are safe and which aren't.

Good luck!

(Oh I almost forgot, ALL dark colored Volks' shoes will stain)

• Like 1

1505193317_sig1copy.png.892dcb9d95734be68d4282d5f06843bb.png1495205582_sig2copy.png.b9f2cb50f3c66e638bd5c8a75bd10688.png

hospitalitydoll
On 2/26/2024 at 2:14 PM, puxlavoix said:

What I do is wash the excess die of any suspected offender under the faucet with dish soap

Can I ask, is there any particular reason you use dish soap as opposed to detergent made for clothing?

PlasticJester
5 hours ago, hospitalitydoll said:

Can I ask, is there any particular reason you use dish soap as opposed to detergent made for clothing?

I'm not who you asked, but I took a class on dyeing fabric recently and can explain!

I don't fully understand the chemical process, but soap helps loose dye that hasn't collected on the fabric fully to rise to the surface and get washed off. So it's not the cleanliness of the fabric itself that matters, but rather the fact soap is used at all. I would assume dish soap is more convenient (and probably safer?) for most people!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

395895163_DollGroupPixel.png.2e3e4b229f96b86eed9347c93eb5864c.png

Persiflage
On 3/19/2024 at 8:01 AM, PlasticJester said:

So it's not the cleanliness of the fabric itself that matters, but rather the fact soap is used at all.

That's really interesting. So all that matters is that you're using something that will emulsion (?) the leftover dye.

• Like 1

Oculae

I'd recommend looking into special color fasting soaps like retayne or synthrapol as well. this experiment's results seem very promising!

• Thanks 1

tumblr_o9govtKpFv1v9twgko1_400.gif.eae368d3c0bfc2a75087167170705ec2.gifPlease ping me when replying!

PlasticJester

I used synthrapol in my dye class, but be warned it is VERY smelly when in use! You only need a tiny bit of it!

395895163_DollGroupPixel.png.2e3e4b229f96b86eed9347c93eb5864c.png

hospitalitydoll
On 3/19/2024 at 1:01 AM, PlasticJester said:

I'm not who you asked, but I took a class on dyeing fabric recently and can explain!

I don't fully understand the chemical process, but soap helps loose dye that hasn't collected on the fabric fully to rise to the surface and get washed off. So it's not the cleanliness of the fabric itself that matters, but rather the fact soap is used at all. I would assume dish soap is more convenient (and probably safer?) for most people!

On 3/20/2024 at 6:19 AM, Oculae said:

I'd recommend looking into special color fasting soaps like retayne or synthrapol as well. this experiment's results seem very promising!

Thank you so much to you both! I really appreciate the explanation and resources!

HongBee
On 2/26/2024 at 11:19 AM, Azurluna said:

I did order a bodysuit with her as I figured it wouldn’t hurt to have in case any clothes pose a high stain risk, but I would like to display her joints naturally where possible. Thanks in advance for any information or tips anyone can provide!

I wear body suits or partial suits on places with more likihood of staining. So sometimes my girls will have a legs only with matching skin colour for dark skirts and leggings. If she is wearing something that covers most of her body, then I will use a full body suit but low cut so I don't see it wrapping the neck.

Personally I prefer the body suits from Dollremi and have multiple pairs from them because the tone and fir feels better. And they have different types to match your needs.

As for washing, I only lightly dip and hand wash them with mild soap. but most of my stuff and light clothing as I am paranoid of stainin.

• Thanks 1