Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
dollrxst

Dolls birthdays?

dollrxst

When do you all consider the birthday date of your dollfies? The day you put them together completely or did you just make it up? :)

mmmuguet

A mix for me! Arrival date if they come in one piece, completion date if parts assembled in stages.

• Like 1

spacer.png

୨୧ Iskander tinyfox little anna • Bishop tinyfox lilith • Lariat tinyfox 06S • Crocus tinyfox asmoti • Cedar tinyfox nomi • Copernicus tinyfox murphy • Hyacinthe tinyfox c-16 • Salem tinyfox little ashley Arlo tinyfox raya • Clary tinyfox li chun • Wren tinyfox lizzy • Drosera tinyfox fluffy • Narcisse tinyfox d-01Robin mdd ddh-01 • Otto mdd ddh-01 • Yuliy mdd ddh-01 • Chino obitsu 50-04 • Eden obitsu 50-04 • Vivian azone fururu tan ୨୧

Thespian

I make them up based on ~*vibes*~

• Like 3

Kiyomi DDS DDH-06 🧡 Miyuki DDS DDH-06 🧡 Shiori DDS Mariko Summer Festival 🧡 Kanade DDDy DDH-07 🧡 Honoka DD DDH-09 🧡 Unnamed DDS Anthy Himemiya

Any pronouns are fine

chupakiba

A lot of my dolls are customs are pre-existing characters, so obviously, their birthdays are their official birthdays. Then there's Zenon, who's had 2073393893 different iterations, so there's no way I'd be able to do that kind of thing with her. Her first iteration? Her last? But it doesn't matter, because she is actually an original character and already has a predetermined birthday, haha. 😄

To be honest, I don't think any of my dolls' birthdays are when they were completely assembled. All of their birthdays are predetermined, either by their manga artist (in the case of our Kimetsu no Yaiba) dolls, their original air date (in the case of some of our dolls), a day that was determined by fans (as in the in case of Akaza, who a lot of fans determined his birthday was March 3rd), or something I felt would really fit the character if they were an original character or one that didn't have a predetermined day. Zenon's birthday is February 29th, because she's a bit of a brat and hates the fact that her birthday technically only comes around every four years. I kind of put a lot of thought into our characters' birthdays if they didn't already exist, so...

I need a life.

• Like 1

545972490_Susie2.png.eab8887c0fb432ddafd68b121f442db8.png

Sometimes you're Godzilla and sometimes you're Tokyo.

dollrxst
35 minutes ago, Thespian said:

I make them up based on ~*vibes*~

Lol I feel this, I made my girls birthdays based on their completion dates but at the same time I kinda wanna make one a Scorpio and the other a Capricorn just for the hell of it 😆

ragnamuffin
32 minutes ago, condogenate said:

A lot of my dolls are customs are pre-existing characters, so obviously, their birthdays are their official birthdays.

Same. My character dolls’ birthdays are their official birthdays, if they have one. I also try to adhere to their year of birth too, which has lead to an interesting situation where one of my dolls is turning 52 this year 😅

If they don’t have an official birthday, then… they don’t have a birthday I guess? I probably wouldn’t remember it anyway so I’m not too fussed about it 😅

chupakiba
5 minutes ago, ragnamuffin said:

Same. My character dolls’ birthdays are their official birthdays, if they have one. I also try to adhere to their year of birth too, which has lead to an interesting situation where one of my dolls is turning 52 this year 😅

The Kimetsu no Yaiba characters don't have official birth years, but ages. However, the series took place in the Taisho era, which took place between 1912 and 1926, so, uh... they're technically probably all dead. Without spoilers.

But then there's the alternate universe @rudebuster and I created for our dolls (and other unshelled characters), where the current year is 2038. So, while some Kimetsu no Yaiba characters were born in the 1910s, one, for example, was born in 2011 in our timeline. Zenon, the one I mentioned earlier, was born in 2016.

There are some that don't have birth years even in this alternate timeline, but they all have birthdays. One is an old fart, so who knows what his birth year is, but w/e. 😆

• Haha 1

PlasticJester

I would just say for any of my non-fandom characters, the day I got/completed them. To be fair, I do that with my OCs too (when I can remember when I made them, at least).

592108676_DollGroupPixel.png.059a2d02f02ccb8975d8c8461ef7b1cc.png

Xiongmao

I have a list of them. Birthdays are their arrival date.

Yor Forger is extra special because she actually arrived on my actual birthday 😊.

• Like 1

Xiongmao-Signature-Vinyl-Dolls-December-2023.jpg.092aa55b9a3c11160633f60ad1610e7c.jpg 

My Dollfie doll family 😊.

Giallo_Gatta

My only girl (so far)'s birthday is when I finished painting the first iteration of her, which was actually a Picco Neemo. It's May 13th. :3

Gabriel

I lean towards it being the day that I received them.  I suppose that's true even in the case of the existing character dolls if I continue referring to them as the character they're based on.

Originally, my very first DD was intended to be a doll representation of a character in an RPG.  That custom character had a canonical birthday.  IF that plan had carried through, then her birthday would have been that of the character rather than the arrival date.  But that's not how it ended up working out.

I have one doll that has become a representation of an RPG character, and interestingly that character has inherited the arrival of the doll as their birthdate, since they didn't have a canonical birthdate before.  Another long owned doll is currently going through this kind of ID inheritance of an existing RPG character, and that character also lacks a canonical birthdate so far.  In all likelihood the character will inherit the arrival date of the doll as their birthdate.

As for licensed character dolls, I tend to view them NOT as THE original character.   So while DD Ranka Lee is still Ranka Lee, she is still a different character with different details, so the original licensed character's birthdate isn't terribly relevant.

• Like 1

baldylox

Mine go by their arrival dates as long as they are complete dolls.  If I change their wigs or eyes at a later date, I don't count that version as a new date.  If they get a repaint of their original faces or a changeover of a completely different look, I still don't change their arrival dates.

The only time I'll have a different date is if a girl arrives as just a head and I have no body ready for her or if she arrives and I want her completely redone, repainted or want additions to her paint or addons ( ears, horns etc,) .  Then whatever date she is completed, that becomes her birthdate/arrival date.

Billy

• Like 4

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

chupakiba
11 minutes ago, baldylox said:

Mine go by their arrival dates as long as they are complete dolls.  If I change their wigs or eyes at a later date, I don't count that version as a new date.  If they get a repaint of their original faces or a changeover of a completely different look, I still don't change their arrival dates.

When I mentioned Zenon's 82930484404 iterations, it wasn't just wig or eye changes. I literally bought and resold various sculpts and bodies trying to find the best doll that fit her personality, but nothing that looked good online really looked that great in person, unfortunately. 😅 Finally, after years and years of trying to find the perfect doll for her, we just happened across a custom during I-Doll a few months that portrayed her almost perfectly. Now @rudebuster has banned me from ever reshelling her, because we literally can't find anything any more perfect!

Most of our dolls are pre-existing characters, so @rudebuster, a very experienced friend, and I (mostly @rudebuster and the friend, not so much me, but I have helped on occasion) are usually pretty good at finding sculpts that fit that character's facial structure. But Zenon was special because she was an original character and didn't have a predetermined facial structure, so that was what made that so difficult.

Stupid_Hoomun

I too go by their arrival date. If it is a head I've had that been waiting for a body or vice versa then her birthday is the day she becomes a complete doll. As for my approach to the licensed characters, Gabriel summed it up nicely.

1 hour ago, Gabriel said:

As for licensed character dolls, I tend to view them NOT as THE original character.   So while DD Ranka Lee is still Ranka Lee, she is still a different character with different details, so the original licensed character's birthdate isn't terribly relevant.

MoiBakaDesu

As character doll owner it is of course the canon birthdays of these two boys that I decided to shell.

Incidentally Haruka's birthday is coming up on the 22nd, it's a big event for me to snatch a picture with some cake, merch, plushies and of course a few dolls of them every year to celebrate, haha.

chupakiba
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, MoiBakaDesu said:

As character doll owner it is of course the canon birthdays of these two boys that I decided to shell.

Incidentally Haruka's birthday is coming up on the 22nd, it's a big event for me to snatch a picture with some cake, merch, plushies and of course a few dolls of them every year to celebrate, haha.

I did the same thing. 🙃 My bby's birthday is canonly May 10th, so I had to celebrate with cake and a sweet potato smoothie. ❤️ 

Note: In the USA, sweet potatoes taste like the an*s of Satan, but Japanese sweet potatoes taste delicious. (Umai?) 😋 Take from me, who abhorred American sweet potatoes so much that my obsessive "clean your plate" parents never made me eat those. I still can't stand the starchy texture, but Japanese sweet potato-flavored sweets are heavenly.

I know I included this in my photo compilation, but here's Kyojuro celebrating his birthday. :3

spacer.png

Edited by condogenate

baldylox
23 hours ago, condogenate said:

When I mentioned Zenon's 82930484404 iterations, it wasn't just wig or eye changes. I literally bought and resold various sculpts and bodies trying to find the best doll that fit her personality, but nothing that looked good online really looked that great in person, unfortunately. 😅 Finally, after years and years of trying to find the perfect doll for her, we just happened across a custom during I-Doll a few months that portrayed her almost perfectly. Now @rudebuster has banned me from ever reshelling her, because we literally can't find anything any more perfect!

Oh I wasn't singling you out on that with my reply at all!  :)  I was only going by what I do with my girls.  I've also had girls, like my 1st girl Manami, that have been through TONS of changes.  She's had 4 or 5 different bodies, at least 5 or 6 different busts, several wigs and at least 3 repaints of her face.  But through it all, her core character has not changed so she remains Manami and to me, that means her birthdate/completion was still when she first arrived here over 13 years ago.  😉 

Billy

• Like 1

chupakiba
8 minutes ago, baldylox said:

Oh I wasn't singling you out on that with my reply at all!  :)  I was only going by what I do with my girls.  I've also had girls, like my 1st girl Manami, that have been through TONS of changes.  She's had 4 or 5 different bodies, at least 5 or 6 different busts, several wigs and at least 3 repaints of her face.  But through it all, her core character has not changed so she remains Manami and to me, that means her birthdate/completion was still when she first arrived here over 13 years ago.  😉 

Oh, no, no, I wasn't thinking you were singling me out, haha! 😄 I was mostly explaining that she didn't just have wig and eye changes, she literally had whole sculpt and body changes. Just to make that clear! So, I had no hard feelings at all! But wow, thirteen years. Tbh, most of our dolls never last that long. 😅 I appreciate your dedication to your sculpts!

• Like 1

baldylox
On 6/11/2024 at 6:34 PM, condogenate said:

Oh, no, no, I wasn't thinking you were singling me out, haha! 😄 I was mostly explaining that she didn't just have wig and eye changes, she literally had whole sculpt and body changes. Just to make that clear! So, I had no hard feelings at all!

But wow, thirteen years. Tbh, most of our dolls never last that long. 😅 I appreciate your dedication to your sculpts!

Oh good, I didn't want to make you upset or anything.  Thanks for clearing that up!

Yep, it'll actually be 14 years since I started in the doll hobby in 10 days.  Manami arrived home on June 22, 2010 and my life has been forever changed by her.  She's given me so much in life and because of her, I've made wonderful new friends, adopted lots of beautiful dolls and had so much fun.  She's an 01 head and due to her, that's my favorite head sculpt.  

Thank you for the wonderful compliment!  <3 

Billy

chupakiba
30 minutes ago, baldylox said:

Oh good, I didn't want to make you upset or anything.  Thanks for clearing that up!

Yep, it'll actually be 14 years since I started in the doll hobby in 10 days.  Manami arrived home on June 22, 2010 and my life has been forever changed by her.  She's given me so much in life and because of her, I've made wonderful new friends, adopted lots of beautiful dolls and had so much fun.  She's an 01 head and due to her, that's my favorite head sculpt.  

Thank you for the wonderful compliment!  <3 

Yay!

@rudebuster and I have actually been in the hobby since 2009, but we've been mostly lurking since then. We can be very shy, but finally, we kind of want to make friends in the hobby now that we have a life, haha. I hope to make some wonderful friends as well! We, unfortunately, have a bad habit of shelling and reshelling dolls, which is why we have none of the ones we started out with. But what can we do, we're perfectionists and want what fits best, haha! 🤷‍♀️

Ironically, @rudebuster actually recalled the day you made a post on Figure.fm about receiving Manami as your first doll! She even said she remembered where we were—we had just arrived in Japan in the summer of 2010 for a visit and was sitting in the hotel lobby, and she was scouring the internet. As I said earlier, we did a lot of lurking over the years, haha. (I don't really remember though, unfortunately; I apologize—but then again, I can't even remember what I had for dinner last night. Memory problems will do that to ya, haha.)

So happy you appreciated it! 🥰

baldylox
22 hours ago, condogenate said:

Yay!

@rudebuster and I have actually been in the hobby since 2009, but we've been mostly lurking since then. We can be very shy, but finally, we kind of want to make friends in the hobby now that we have a life, haha. I hope to make some wonderful friends as well! We, unfortunately, have a bad habit of shelling and reshelling dolls, which is why we have none of the ones we started out with. But what can we do, we're perfectionists and want what fits best, haha! 🤷‍♀️

That's great that you're wanting to be a little more social and make friends!  This is a good place to do it too because there's so many cool people on the forums.  Loads of them are also from back in the Figure.fm days too!

Nothing wrong at all with wanting your girls to be perfect!  It took me almost 1.5 years to find the "correct" wig and eye combo for my Mai Shiranui.  While I do love her default setup, she just wanted a different look so I tried sooooo many wigs and eyes in her in order for her to "click" correctly.  But I finally got her where she's supposed to be so that made me really happy.

22 hours ago, condogenate said:

Ironically, @rudebuster actually recalled the day you made a post on Figure.fm about receiving Manami as your first doll! She even said she remembered where we were—we had just arrived in Japan in the summer of 2010 for a visit and was sitting in the hotel lobby, and she was scouring the internet. As I said earlier, we did a lot of lurking over the years, haha. (I don't really remember though, unfortunately; I apologize—but then again, I can't even remember what I had for dinner last night. Memory problems will do that to ya, haha.)

So happy you appreciated it! 🥰

OMG that's so cool!  I miss FFM so much!  It was one of the best places to share pics and talk!  My favorite thing was how you added comments and questions to photos, that was so friggin cool.  

Rudebuster seems to have one awesome memory!  I'm like you, I forget my name if I don't repeat it daily.  😄 That's really cool she remembered me posting about Manami.  That was a special day for me for sure.  <3 

Billy

• Like 1

chupakiba
2 hours ago, baldylox said:

That's great that you're wanting to be a little more social and make friends!  This is a good place to do it too because there's so many cool people on the forums.

I hope they don't mind my weird sense of humor! Thanks, Dad. If I do anything to offend, just tell me and I'll back off! 😭

2 hours ago, baldylox said:

Rudebuster seems to have one awesome memory!  I'm like you, I forget my name if I don't repeat it daily.  😄 That's really cool she remembered me posting about Manami.  That was a special day for me for sure.  <3 

@rudebuster used to have an almost photographic memory! Her short-term memory isn't so great anymore (yay, old age...), but she sure seems some remembers some weird-ass dates! I'm sure Manami's arrival was special—although not nearly as long ago, Kyo baby's arrival is just as special (I'll have to ask @rudebuster if she remembers the date he arrived, actually, now that you speak of it; I need to celebrate it. It's coming up sometime too). I hope the 22th is a special day for you and Manami. ❤️

• Like 1

chupakiba
On 6/13/2024 at 7:47 AM, baldylox said:

Manami arrived home on June 22, 2010 and my life has been forever changed by her.

Ok, just asked @rudebuster when Kyo baby's anniversary was, and apparently it was June 16, 2022. Good thing I asked, that's in two days!! Haha! I have to give him a good celebration! ❤️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

baldylox
On 6/13/2024 at 8:48 PM, condogenate said:

I hope the 22th is a special day for you and Manami. 

Thank you!  It's on a Saturday so I plan to dress her up nice and take lots of photos of her.  If the weather is nice I might even take somewhere for the photos.  I'll have to check on that.  But I'll definitely post here with pics.  :) 

Billy

• Like 2

chupakiba

I'd love to see your birthday photos!! Unless she's in her "birthday suit," then we may not be able to see them... 😆 Let's hope for a nice day! 🤞