Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

AntElitist

Lighting setups

AntElitist

Can you guise share some of your lighting setup? If possible draw a diagram and show exact location of each of your light source in terms of height and distance. Also possible shows the distance of your subject to your background.

The bonus: Show your exact measurement of space for your studio

asianed

It really depends on the situation. I don't have a fancy lighting setup (or fancy lighting equipment) since it would be a huge hassle to set up and break down. I keep things simple for the most part and use a lot of off-the-shelf components to build different lighting situations.

When sunlight isn't available, I tend to use a speedlight equipped with a softbox attached for general shooting. That gives good coverage without having any harsh lighting effects or shadows. To get some more interesting lighting, I'll remove the speedlight and use the remote trigger built into the camera. That way, I can position the light however I want coming from the direction I want (softbox optional).

Finally, I have a few daylight CCFL lamps that I can set up. Sometimes I'll use them as backlighting or accent lighting, while other times I set it up through a diffuser box that I made myself (which is really easy). Just get a small cardboard box and punch out the top and bottom. Then tape some tissue paper (like what you use for giftwrap) to one side. Voila, instant diffuser for less than $5.

Finally, I also use some white posterboards as reflectors. Nothing fancy, just something from the arts and crafts department from Target. You'd be amazed at the difference this makes on softening up shadows. Total cost of the "homemade light setup": $25 with desk lamp and bulb.

MaxArcher

This is an old one but one of the more elaborate lighting setups I've used for DD stuff.

6814152548_9db02394db_z.jpg

Beato in the Studio by otakushots, on Flickr

Lumiquest LTP at about 1.5m high, and DIY ringlight adapter at low level. The softbox is the key light and the ringflash is providing fill.

Results -

6381917575_dc42f3d43a_z.jpg

Beato 1-1.jpg by otakushots, on Flickr

6381917801_7baa5ea606_z.jpg

Beato 1-4.jpg by otakushots, on Flickr

A lot of my other pics are done with just a fast lens and a bounced on-camera speedlite. I usually put the doll on a low table to make shooting easier. Here's an example:

6423959415_5c71c28fd6_z.jpg

Beato Uniform 2 by otakushots, on Flickr

DD Beatrice - DD Saber/EXTRA

baldylox

I don't have a "studio" but I do have some studio lights I use all around the house.

I have a pair of lights I got from ebay that I use when I take pics of my girls. Here is an example of how they get setup when I shoot something:

7030614081_b3ef72a486_z.jpg

DSC00154 by balldylox, on Flickr

Of course, the lights don't always stay where I have them here, they get moved around so the lighting is where I want it. Most of the time I don't even use two of them, I only use one. Here is what they look like inside:

7030616653_baacb33d12_z.jpg

DSC00156 by balldylox, on Flickr

They have 5 daylight simulating bulbs that are individually switched so you can get all sorts of light amounts. I normally use a soft cover for these so the light is more diffused. I took the cover off so you can see the bulbs.

The lights came as a set and in a nice carry bag:

7030611719_6ef0b5415b_z.jpg

DSC00155 by balldylox, on Flickr

I paid about $140 including shipping for these lights and I really love them. They make it really easy to get shots that look nice and even for levels of light. They aren't cheap and they aren't small but they do wonders and I'm really happy with them.

Billy

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

salica

I paid about $140 including shipping for these lights and I really love them. They make it really easy to get shots that look nice and even for levels of light. They aren't cheap and they aren't small but they do wonders and I'm really happy with them.

Billy

Wow ! Way better than mine! I need to get new ones...T_T

slmka

My setup on my first Saber first shoot

Using the softbox as the backdrop and power up by a Canon 580 EX II and front fill light with AL-126 Video LED

I have 3 flashes, but that day I just happened to end up with 1 set of batteries. >_<

DD First Shoot Setup II

Thinking of getting some continuous lighting but need to work out a bit more space first >_<

knibitz

I honestly mostly just shoot in natural light! I've tried working with lamps and light tents and haven't been able to get the hang of it! My photos just never feel right! May have to steal tips of you guys, or maybe I'm just so used to shooting in natural light that anything else just doesn't work for me?

Probably not quite what you're looking for, but maybe this can help some people?

I just moved into an apartment that has giant floor to ceiling windows (though on street level o_0) so I've been abusing that perk and freaking out people walking by all in one go!

this is from when I moved in, but my table pretty much stayed in the same place: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8143/7170721615_4696e86ba5_z.jpg

(yes XD those are all doll boxes... I know I have a problem XD)

I usually pose my dolls on the table and then work my way around while shooting

So far I haven't found the need to filter or bounce any light yet - So far I've just been working with the sun.

My apartment faces sunrise, so in the evening I great really nice lighting

Just about the time I get home from work and have eaten dinner is the sweet spot! (7pm ish, for the summer, at least)

AntElitist
I honestly mostly just shoot in natural light! I've tried working with lamps and light tents and haven't been able to get the hang of it! My photos just never feel right! May have to steal tips of you guys, or maybe I'm just so used to shooting in natural light that anything else just doesn't work for me?

Probably not quite what you're looking for, but maybe this can help some people?

I just moved into an apartment that has giant floor to ceiling windows (though on street level o_0) so I've been abusing that perk and freaking out people walking by all in one go!

this is from when I moved in, but my table pretty much stayed in the same place: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8143/7170721615_4696e86ba5_z.jpg

(yes XD those are all doll boxes... I know I have a problem XD)

I usually pose my dolls on the table and then work my way around while shooting

So far I haven't found the need to filter or bounce any light yet - So far I've just been working with the sun.

My apartment faces sunrise, so in the evening I great really nice lighting

Just about the time I get home from work and have eaten dinner is the sweet spot! (7pm ish, for the summer, at least)

Wow. Your windows is facing the sunset? I must say that makes a good natural light source. What about working with a reflector?

animagic4u

Well to be honest I also just shoot with natural light. I just open the window because I like the sunshine inside my room anyway. ^^;

I like really bright warm images so I just give 'em a little touch in photoshop and they look fine to me.

Dollfie Dream: Rei (DDdy, HDD04), Mikila (DDII, HDD04), Haruka (Ob50, DDS Millhiore), Shimamura Uzuki

Pure Neemo: Sayuri, Ayu, Alice

Resin: Terra, Koharu, Aki

AntElitist
Well to be honest I also just shoot with natural light. I just open the window because I like the sunshine inside my room anyway. ^^;

I like really bright warm images so I just give 'em a little touch in photoshop and they look fine to me.

Yeap. That's how it is.

knibitz

Wow. Your windows is facing the sunset? I must say that makes a good natural light source. What about working with a reflector?

Yep and it's good in the morning too because my bedroom is the black hole of death(no windows), so the only way I know if it's light outside is those windows if I keep my bedroom door open o_o

and I've worked with a reflector before and have been OK with it, but generally I've just always been good with working with the sun itself.

You'll see the little bump out of a wall in that photo, and that works decently bouncing light off itself.

but generally the doll faces the window and I'm against standing at the corner of the table (to our left in the photo)

(bald and eyeless resin bjd...warning? XD) This was from a recent box opening, normal jpg straight off the camera, no bouncing light. The doll was probably 3/4 turned towards the window.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8015/7476449200_120868151a_c.jpg

and on the topic of reflectors! not so much reflectors.. well.. maybe.. but I recently utilized doll pillows as sun blockers! There were some harsh rays cutting through the trees [this was right when the sun was high in the sky ... I know, fantastic time to take photos LOL]

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/183/d/4/pillows_by_knibitz-d55pmh6.jpg

to get this

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/183/b/2/4th_of_july_by_knibitz-d55pb2h.jpg

AntElitist

Yep and it's good in the morning too because my bedroom is the black hole of death(no windows), so the only way I know if it's light outside is those windows if I keep my bedroom door open o_o

and I've worked with a reflector before and have been OK with it, but generally I've just always been good with working with the sun itself.

You'll see the little bump out of a wall in that photo, and that works decently bouncing light off itself.

but generally the doll faces the window and I'm against standing at the corner of the table (to our left in the photo)

(bald and eyeless resin bjd...warning? XD) This was from a recent box opening, normal jpg straight off the camera, no bouncing light. The doll was probably 3/4 turned towards the window.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8015/7476449200_120868151a_c.jpg

and on the topic of reflectors! not so much reflectors.. well.. maybe.. but I recently utilized doll pillows as sun blockers! There were some harsh rays cutting through the trees [this was right when the sun was high in the sky ... I know, fantastic time to take photos LOL]

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/183/d/4/pillows_by_knibitz-d55pmh6.jpg

to get this

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/183/b/2/4th_of_july_by_knibitz-d55pb2h.jpg

I like how the picture turns out with the light. It's nice. Also great usage of Block? Lol. No Light go through right? Tried diffuser instead?

But the photo is indeed beautiful.

Ara

I'm also more of a natural light + reflector person, mostly because I don't like how a lot of stuff looks like with artifical light, even with daylight lamps.

I still want to get a good setup for indoor shootings though and also a flash + diffuser...especially since my room is the one that barely sees any sun ;_;

ZZ0WsD1.jpg

AntElitist
I'm also more of a natural light + reflector person, mostly because I don't like how a lot of stuff looks like with artifical light, even with daylight lamps.

I still want to get a good setup for indoor shootings though and also a flash + diffuser...especially since my room is the one that barely sees any sun ;_;

I'm both. Because both are of different setups even though they are involving light. One gives you infinite idea and creativity based on setup, one gives you the wonders of natural light. Flashes/strobes can create spectacular images based on your setup.

xsoverload

Since I finally started taking pictures again, it gave me a reason to try new things and more importantly, learn about stuff I haven't tried before.

Somehow, I was tasked with doing portraits awhile ago and I personally wasn't too happy the way it came out. I was probably chosen just because I believe I was the only one with a flash and the shoot was scheduled in the evening. Now, if I get asked to do this again, I wanted to be sure I would be able to take decent enough photos but it had to be portable for me to lug around. I'm not carrying around studio lights. This will also come in handy if I want to take outdoor shots.

So here I am, learning about strobes and off camera flash techniques - applying it to DDs so that I can eventually apply it to people. Right now, I'm running a Canon 430EX II Speedlite, a cheap wireless remote flash receiver/transmitter setup and a Westcott kit with a 43" umbrella.

I messed around with this setup yesterday and I'm actually happy the way the pictures came out with me just playing around. Haven't had to go full manual in a long time (last time I used "manual" since high school and film ...) but I realized that it's not too difficult to go manual in the digital world. Haha.

More than likely, this setup will grow a bit next month when I have more expendable cash. Planning on getting additional remote triggers and additional flashes to play around with multiple units. More than likely, to keep costs under control, the flashes will be fully manual since they're just going to be off camera units. I may splurge on a 580EX II around Christmas time for more "umph" in the TTL department.

slmka
Since I finally started taking pictures again, it gave me a reason to try new things and more importantly, learn about stuff I haven't tried before.

Somehow, I was tasked with doing portraits awhile ago and I personally wasn't too happy the way it came out. I was probably chosen just because I believe I was the only one with a flash and the shoot was scheduled in the evening. Now, if I get asked to do this again, I wanted to be sure I would be able to take decent enough photos but it had to be portable for me to lug around. I'm not carrying around studio lights. This will also come in handy if I want to take outdoor shots.

So here I am, learning about strobes and off camera flash techniques - applying it to DDs so that I can eventually apply it to people. Right now, I'm running a Canon 430EX II Speedlite, a cheap wireless remote flash receiver/transmitter setup and a Westcott kit with a 43" umbrella.

I messed around with this setup yesterday and I'm actually happy the way the pictures came out with me just playing around. Haven't had to go full manual in a long time (last time I used "manual" since high school and film ...) but I realized that it's not too difficult to go manual in the digital world. Haha.

More than likely, this setup will grow a bit next month when I have more expendable cash. Planning on getting additional remote triggers and additional flashes to play around with multiple units. More than likely, to keep costs under control, the flashes will be fully manual since they're just going to be off camera units. I may splurge on a 580EX II around Christmas time for more "umph" in the TTL department.

If you are going to do outdoor portraits you may wish to invest in the original flashes and better wireless triggers (Pixel King) since they can match to do HSS (High Speed Sync) fill flash. But if you are indoor with a static environment properly a manual flash will do as good. YongNo flashes are one of the good options. Some of them have built in TTL as well (but on wireless it will depends on your trigger)

xsoverload

Still dabbling in this stuff and learning as I go. Did read and watched some videos about HSS and I'll definitely look into it as I get more advanced. But I will try outdoors and full manual just to practice. Thanks for the heads up and I will look into Pixel Kings. Also keeping an eye out for the Yongnuo TTL stuff that's supposedly coming out shortly. Right now, I'm going the "budget" route.

I did order another flash since I did find some extra cash lying around and it actually was a Yongnuo 460II.

slmka
Still dabbling in this stuff and learning as I go. Did read and watched some videos about HSS and I'll definitely look into it as I get more advanced. But I will try outdoors and full manual just to practice. Thanks for the heads up and I will look into Pixel Kings. Also keeping an eye out for the Yongnuo TTL stuff that's supposedly coming out shortly. Right now, I'm going the "budget" route.

I did order another flash since I did find some extra cash lying around and it actually was a Yongnuo 460II.

If outdoor, the budget way is to have a big reflector with you. But that would mean 2 person to complete a shoot. I have a YN468 which performs quite well on TTL. Another advantage I love about YN is their S2 mode. It is a wireless manual mode but will fire at the same time when it detects a flash. This saves me sum for my wireless triggers (I only purchased a simple set, but with 3 flashes) before I saved up for Pixel King and the 580EX II

Anyway w/o HSS will means your camera have to shoot below the X-sync speed, 1/200 or 1/250 depends on camera. One option is the increase F-stop and lower your ISO, and may need to use ND filters to help.

xsoverload

Ah. I see. I think I'm kind of following the reason for HSS. Thanks for the explanation!

I will look into ND filters since I do want to be able to play with apertures. I guess one thing I can do in the meantime is use my Canon G11 since I believe it has an electronic/onboard ND option.