Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

juu-yuki

Tripod Recommendation?

juu-yuki

I have been looking for a tripod for awhile with no luck. Can anyone recommend me a good tripod?

Things I am looking for:

- Light weight

- Relatively sturdy for outdoor shooting on uneven surfaces

- 150cm maximum height or higher

- Can support at least 6 lbs (the ones Ive been looking at have toothpick legs T^T)

- Small (or smaller enough to fit inside a backpack)

- Ball head or a head that has a lot of flexibility

- I don't want that web-like center support that connects to the center column (I hope that makes sense).

Here is an example of what I mean:

A_Tripod.jpg

Things that don't really matter to me:

- Panning ability doesn't really matter to me since I am only using it for photos

- Quick setup and adjustments

- Lowest height

My budget is around $200 =/

OtakuDepot

I have been very happy with my Manfrotto 190XDB tripod I got about 2 years ago:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OFSH9M/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

The only thing I wish I would have done is gone with the Manfrotto 055XPROB:

http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-055XPROB-Tripod-Legs-Black/dp/B000UMX7FI/ref=sr_1_1?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1333333234&sr=1-1

This model has a center pole that will swivel around which can be good to get your camera in a tight situation or even lower to the ground. Here is a picture showing it:

3813681299_59d813beb1.jpg

Otaku Depot's growing family.

6176759571_b2375fa7d7_o.jpg

Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

― Terry Pratchett, Jingo

juu-yuki

Thanks guys. I am looking at those right now. The Sirui seems nice but just not tall enough T^T. I really like that red colour though.

The 055xprob caught my attention. I'll have to look into it a bit more. How bad is 5.3 lb for a tripod? It seems very sturdy

juu-yuki
Bear in mind, the 055XPROB ($160) doesn't come with a head.

You could get a kit with a head, or get them separately

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=055XPROB&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

Yes, I know it doesn't come with a head.

I found a seller in my area that is selling a set with a head.

I am just worried about the weight.

OtakuDepot

I don't use a tripod very often and when I do it's for "studio" (aka - my bedroom) work. haha I haven't gone out on long hikes with one so I'm not sure if that's too much to carry around or not.

I would just be careful to not sacrifice stability to get something that weighs less. My first tripod was a cheap plastic one and after 5 or 6 frustrating times trying to use it I broke down and bought my current one. What a difference a good solid tripod makes.

I think there are 3 main concerns when looking for a good tripod:

Stability

Light weight

Good price

You have a good selection of tripods that have any 2 of these features in them but they don't sell a tripod with all 3 features.

Not that this would suite your needs at the moment but I did just order a DSLR sized Gorillapod the other day. I've heard a lot about them and have been wanting to try it out. I'll make a post when I get it.

Otaku Depot's growing family.

6176759571_b2375fa7d7_o.jpg

Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

― Terry Pratchett, Jingo

AntElitist

Manfrotto/SLIK from me definitely. There's even sturdier ones but meh, I think it's fine for us atm.

Kumi
Stability

Light weight

Good price

You have a good selection of tripods that have any 2 of these features in them but they don't sell a tripod with all 3 features.

Yes, these are the words of wisdom

You can try to get GoldPhoto tripod, they're basically a quite good "Manfrotto clones"

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=813490

juu-yuki

I have been looking for something that can extending only twice, so with two clips on each leg. The ones which can extend 3 times fold down to a smaller size but the legs are like toothpicks. Seems like if I were to kick it by accident it would snap in half LOL.

I will most likely go with a Manfrotto one. I am just really confused because most of their tripod comes with separate legs and heads.

Not that this would suite your needs at the moment but I did just order a DSLR sized Gorillapod the other day. I've heard a lot about them and have been wanting to try it out. I'll make a post when I get it.

Heard a lot about the Gorillapod. I don't do a lot of table top work or work on weird surfaces so there isn't much point in me getting one XD. But tell us what you think of it when you get a hold of it. I am curious to see what all the hype is about.

Manfrotto/SLIK from me definitely. There's even sturdier ones but meh, I think it's fine for us atm.

Never heard of SLIK O.O!

I'll have to take a look at those too if they are at the same level as Manfrotto.

Yes, these are the words of wisdom

You can try to get GoldPhoto tripod, they're basically a quite good "Manfrotto clones"

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=813490

Thanks for the link Kumi. I read through the thread and will probably go for the Manfrotto one. I like the padding on the legs XD LOL -falls-

I might have a harder time finding a Goldphoto tripod here in Canada =/

juu-yuki

I ended up getting the 190xprob with a ball head since the 055xprob was too heavy for me to carry around >^<

They seems to do the same thing except the 190 is smaller and lighter (although not as stable). I'll do a review on it if anyone is interested in this tripod.

RaveOfNightmares

Still lighter than the Quantaray QSX 9502TM I picked up, but I don't really carry it around. The thing's built like a tank, and has spikes in the feet. With the legs fully extended, it stands with the panhead slightly above my eye level with the center column fully retracted... Oh, and the center column also doubles as a removable monopod. Not a bad tripod, I just wish the quick release section on the panhead had a better shape to it.

21 DD girls: Mio, Marina, Yui, Yoko, Nia, Lily, Arisu, Akina, Momo, Arisa, Yukina, Ayaka, Niimi, Eri, Millefeuille, Ekisu, Chitose, Miyabi, KOS-MOS v.4, Hatsune Miku and God Eater Alisa. 2B in a hopeful future.