Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

leitan

Outdoor DD Photography?

leitan

sorry if this topic has already been covered, as i haven't read every thread in this forum (please re-direct me if so), but i wanted to ask the community opinion on outdoor DD photography.

i often see a lot of really lovely outdoor DD pics on flickr, especially lately as it's "sakura season" and everyone is taking pictures of their dolls out with the cherry blossoms. i'd like to try something like this too, but i was wondering about what kind of safety and practical precautions should be taken when going out with not just an expensive doll, but a camera kit in tow?

people with experience with this, what do you consider absolutely necessary to bring in terms of doll accessories and props? do you have an "emergency kit" in case your doll gets damaged or stained, and what's in it? how do you safely transport your doll and avoid issues like dirt/staining while in the open, and what kind of places are usually more friendly (safe) places to photograph your doll?

getting odd looks from strangers doesn't bother me at all, but i'm also nervous about the idea of strangers trying to touch my doll without permission, or attracting children and stuff like that.

i'd probably bring a friend along with me if i went further than my backyard (and i want ideas of places to go further than my backyard)...

so, does anyone have any practical, aesthetic, or etiquette tips to share on this subject? thanks.

juu-yuki

I recently brought one of my girls out so I can give you a few tips. =)

What safety and practical precautions should be taken when going out with not just an expensive doll, but a camera kit in tow?

To be honest I didn't have one. I just threw my girl into my shoulder bag and went out XD. I took off her head with her wig attached and put it in a hair net and then into one of those boxes that VOLKS provide when you buy a new head. The body I just left in my bag, I made sure it won't stain before putting it in there.

As for my camera and lens, I just threw them into a shopping bag with a handle since I didn't have room in my shoulder bag. In the morning I had my boyfriend with me so I just put the camera stuff in his bag but when I was by myself I just carried the shipping bag around. XD Didn't look too odd. I did have a white cloth inside the bag though and Sakura's jacket covering the camera so no one could see it (just to be on the safe side).

What do you consider absolutely necessary to bring in terms of doll accessories and props?

Doll props are up to you, whatever you want in the photo. I brought Sakura's mini camera with me but i didn't use it =/. Aside from that I brought all my exchangeable hands. I took some of the pegs from my other girls. This made changing hands easier since you only have to swap the pegs.

You will also need a comb, the wig can get really messy outdoors. Also bring a bottle of water and cleaning clothes in case you get dirt and other stuff on your doll. What else did I bring? hmmmm... oh ya, a doll stand. =)

getting odd looks from strangers doesn't bother me at all, but i'm also nervous about the idea of strangers trying to touch my doll without permission, or attracting children and stuff like that.

I haven't had this happen to me. I did get weird looks from people passing by but it wasn't a big deal. An old man came up to me and just watched me for 10 minutes. You will rarely get people who just comes up and touch your dolls. If they do ask, just reject them politely.

One of the things I did was find a place that is hard to get to. There was a Sakura tree that was way off the path and at the bottom of a large hill. No one really bothers going through all that work to see one tree so I ended up having it all to myself for the day XD yay

DSC_0204.jpg

Sakura inside my bag ready to go to the next location ^^v

baldylox
What safety and practical precautions should be taken when going out with not just an expensive doll, but a camera kit in tow?

Whenever I go outside with my girls and I'm not at home, I always pack light. Make things easy on yourself so you don't worry about losing anything or forgetting anything. The less stuff you have with you, the better. This is especially true if you are walking alot. Heavy equipment is no fun to lug around an entire park area all day.

As for precautions, I always bring a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, a small bottle of water, toothbrushes and hair brushes, towels for wiping off the girls and stands. Camera stuff I keep to a minimum... the camera itself, sometimes a tripod and sometimes an extra lens. But that's about all.

What do you consider absolutely necessary to bring in terms of doll accessories and props?

I try and keep props to a minimum. Unless I have a specific theme I am going for with the pics, I rarely use any. But I do bring extra hands for poses so the girls look more natural. Stands are really the only thing I ever bring along and I don't always use those. I try and make my girls stand on their own so they look more realistic.

Every time I have been out where there are people around, no one has tried to grab or touch one of the girls without asking. And even then, I haven't had anyone ask to hold or touch one. I do get people asking what they are and where I got them but most often, I just get odd glances and that's it. As far as children go, I only had one little girl approach me at a park and all she did was walk up and say "I like your Barbies!" And then she ran off.

The main things I worry about outdoors is them getting dirty or falling over. If I am not taking a full body picture of them and I am not using a stand, I always put a towel at their feet so if they do fall over, they land on a soft, clean area. And I always have a brush/comb in my pocket for fixing hair.

I've done loads of outdoor shoots and it's rare for anything bad to happen to the girls. So don't worry too much, as long as you pay attention to your surroundings and bring along some basics, you'll be just fine.

Billy

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

Kumi

You know, I just thought about a kind of "minimum doll stand" for outdoor.

The simple idea is to get a thin rod (carbon fiber? or maybe steel, like a black bicycle spoke) to stick into the ground, and use a velcro strap or similar thing to secure the DD to it. To the leg, or waist.

Of course, the strap should be hidden somehow, for example under the skirt.

Sounds simple and You won't have the standard big stand base visible on photos.

What do You think?

Coffee

Even though I don't have a DD yet, I have been bringing both Busou Shinkis and my resin girl with me to various places.

I don't know if it's just me, but I really like bringing another person with me to keep watch and maybe hold the doll/figure so that they wont fall over.

My resin girl likes to slowly start falling over once you're just about to the the picture, so it's nice to have someone who doesn't have to throw the camera to catch a falling doll. XD

Also, it's easier to see how people react if you are two persons keeping watch over the figures/dolls. XD

But yeah, I'd probably say pretty much what everyone else says.

Keep props to a minimum and pack things properly. (Something I've failed to do a couple of times. orz)

Mina - DDS Millhi, Lucy - DDS Melty, Sammy - DDII Sakuno, Ellie - MDD DDH-01, Niki - MDD Mayu, Sasha - DDIII Miku

juu-yuki
You know, I just thought about a kind of "minimum doll stand" for outdoor.

The simple idea is to get a thin rod (carbon fiber? or maybe steel, like a black bicycle spoke) to stick into the ground, and use a velcro strap or similar thing to secure the DD to it. To the leg, or waist.

Of course, the strap should be hidden somehow, for example under the skirt.

Sounds simple and You won't have the standard big stand base visible on photos.

What do You think?

-pokes concrete with stick- OAO

........ KUMMIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!

Loll jokes aside I see what you mean. I think I might try that out since I have a stand like that with a saddle head.

Kumi

But, but... We don't have forests nor fields from concrete here, where I live...?

Jezrah

Lol concrete forest

As for where to go, I like anywhere scenic- parks, gardens, pretty buildings, etc. I keep my eye open while driving places and make plans to come back later.

32717445532_3aa446bd94_m.jpg

AntElitist

Hmm interesting topic. I used to go alone last time but now I am bringing a friend at least with me since he is interested in photography and I am teaching him tricks and tips.

Bringing one of the most expensive camera on your body is certainly very interesting. But put that aside, I mostly strap it along my neck. So it is all fine and dandy. But I still prefer quiet place tho.

Doll side I put her in the bag and just carry along lololol. So I just put her there and take some picture while disregarding people. Meanwhile on the other hand, I just uh....snap away.

I don't usually bring prop.

RaveOfNightmares

While I was in Japan, I would just carry Mio in my hand, with my camera on my neck. No props, no stand.

Now that I'm back in the US, I carry Mio in a doll carrier I got from Coolcat, along with a hairbrush and a lint roller. I do sometimes put an extra set of hands or extra outfit pieces in the bag too. My camera is usually either inside my camera backpack, or around my neck, although it's a bit heavy to carry that way for too long. I still don't carry a stand, as I prefer to use environmental objects for Mio to interact with.

The camera I carried in Japan was my "old" A55 with the 18-55 kit lens, which together weighed a little over 1lb, while just the 16-50 lens that came with my A77 weighs about that much on its own... But that's due to it being built with the same weather resistant, dust sealed magnesium alloy that the camera is, along with all the glass required to keep it at a constant f/2.8 along the full focal range.

21 DD girls: Mio, Marina, Yui, Yoko, Nia, Lily, Arisu, Akina, Momo, Arisa, Yukina, Ayaka, Niimi, Eri, Millefeuille, Ekisu, Chitose, Miyabi, KOS-MOS v.4, Hatsune Miku and God Eater Alisa. 2B in a hopeful future.

juu-yuki
But, but... We don't have forests nor fields from concrete here, where I live...?

I was thinking about that park I went to last time. It was like a walk through garden with a stone path.

...........derp.... you know what? I am such a derp, ignore me . I just realized that if it's concrete it would most likely be flat anyways so might as well bring a regular stand.

knibitz

When I go out shooting, I generally don't go far, but I just toss my camera around my neck and have the doll in a Tripod back that has "MANFROTO" down the side. Works really well for those wanting to go incognito

(unpadded zipper bag using fabric pillows from when I got my dollmore zaoll bjd)

so I just look like some photography prodigy walking around with my fancy DSLR and "big name tripod" (I look like I'm 16 when I'm really 23 XD)

I never take stands or anyone to spot my doll. If they fall, then they fall, and that's my own fault. (I've had dolls fall, but I haven't had a serious tragedy in years, and the time that I'd did, I'd gotten up and walked away from the doll who'd I'd left standing on the other side of the room)

I rarely take full body shots though, so I'm almost always in catch distance.

If I'm not, the doll is generally up against something or sitting.

Dealing with people approaching me, I've had my fair share. I've has college campus Aholes asking me about my "bratz dolls" and I just smile and nod, speak politely and just the facts and eventually they just walk off when they realize I take my craft seriously.

I've had the curious children (and adults) and generally I'll pick up my doll, hold it, and review the shots I've already taken [or just randomly mess with my camera] till they go away or approach me.

I've also been to a doll meet where a group of parents walked their children over (about 3 or 4 kids) and asked if they could see our dolls. If I remember correctly, I only had a boy doll that day, and of course the little girls were more interested in the princess looking dolls. So I was safe XD but I would have just held the doll up and been like "yep, this is my doll. You can look, but please don't touch"

Honestly, that's all rarity for me though, generally people stop, give me the "WTF" look, then keep walking.

However, I will admit to being passive aggressive to some onlookers and have turned around and started shooting them. they usually walk away immediately.

I've thought about starting a photo blog "Dollfie Gawkers R US"

AntElitist
When I go out shooting, I generally don't go far, but I just toss my camera around my neck and have the doll in a Tripod back that has "MANFROTO" down the side. Works really well for those wanting to go incognito

(unpadded zipper bag using fabric pillows from when I got my dollmore zaoll bjd)

so I just look like some photography prodigy walking around with my fancy DSLR and "big name tripod" (I look like I'm 16 when I'm really 23 XD)

I never take stands or anyone to spot my doll. If they fall, then they fall, and that's my own fault. (I've had dolls fall, but I haven't had a serious tragedy in years, and the time that I'd did, I'd gotten up and walked away from the doll who'd I'd left standing on the other side of the room)

I rarely take full body shots though, so I'm almost always in catch distance.

If I'm not, the doll is generally up against something or sitting.

Dealing with people approaching me, I've had my fair share. I've has college campus Aholes asking me about my "bratz dolls" and I just smile and nod, speak politely and just the facts and eventually they just walk off when they realize I take my craft seriously.

I've had the curious children (and adults) and generally I'll pick up my doll, hold it, and review the shots I've already taken [or just randomly mess with my camera] till they go away or approach me.

I've also been to a doll meet where a group of parents walked their children over (about 3 or 4 kids) and asked if they could see our dolls. If I remember correctly, I only had a boy doll that day, and of course the little girls were more interested in the princess looking dolls. So I was safe XD but I would have just held the doll up and been like "yep, this is my doll. You can look, but please don't touch"

Honestly, that's all rarity for me though, generally people stop, give me the "WTF" look, then keep walking.

However, I will admit to being passive aggressive to some onlookers and have turned around and started shooting them. they usually walk away immediately.

I've thought about starting a photo blog "Dollfie Gawkers R US"

Manfrotto? Good. I love your taste XD.

And yeah. Up to now I don't have any doll stand. Lolz. I always shoot outdoor without any stands. XD. But indeed. Similar encounters indeed

slmka

I just recently got my doll stand and carrier bag in. But I have been shooting Pure Neemo (1/6) for almost a year.

For starting my day shoots I usually mount her on a tripod. But as times goes by I "mastered" to hold my DSRL in one hand with her on the other. In fact is easier since you can "adjust" easily where she looking at and how to compose the picture.

For night shoot I will use 2 tripods to do the shoot, mostly I done with long shutter mode.

During early stage of shooting I do get a bit embarrassed shooting with a doll (it is not common around). Some people will approach me and ask for a shoot, and learn more about it. Some will hide behind you and watch. But after sometimes I pretty much get used to it (and most of the time I was shooting alone).

Anyway shooting dolls is like shooting human, most rules apply. In group shooting we do try a lot of new gears, remote flash, reflector...so you can image the setup sometimes can be quite huge.

Something I always remind new shooters, check your surrounding when you shoot. As doll shooting takes much longer than a normal shoot. You may have a chance of blocking someone's path so beware of that. We are really a small community and people may brand us bad easily with just a few inconsiderate shooters. At the same time is also to protect your doll as well.

Some of my outdoor behind the scene shoot with my PN (sorry...my DD have no outdoor shoot yet...)

5937061257_bdcf63a2c4.jpg

Behind the Scene by slmka, on Flickr

6905221600_a2c64a1c01.jpg

Mia Group Shoot - BTS 05 by slmka, on Flickr

More shoots here > http://www.flickr.com/photos/slmka/sets/72157627194404628/with/6905221600/

finnleo

One thing i've found very usefull while outdoors is a Selen's doll stand.

Their a bit quirky to get, since you'll need a middle agent to get them either straight from them or YJA, but their little trick with the wooden one's is that you can bolt them straight to a tripod:

selens00.jpg

saber09.jpg

Naturally they come in other flavors, like steel, and clear acrylic, but only the wooden one's have the little thread insert to connect to a tripod.

asianed
One thing i've found very usefull while outdoors is a Selen's doll stand.

Their a bit quirky to get, since you'll need a middle agent to get them either straight from them or YJA, but their little trick with the wooden one's is that you can bolt them straight to a tripod:

selens00.jpg

saber09.jpg

Naturally they come in other flavors, like steel, and clear acrylic, but only the wooden one's have the little thread insert to connect to a tripod.

Dollfie world actually sells an acrylic stand with tripod mount: http://www.dollfieworld.com/dollfie-world/2801-dollfie-world-doll-stand.html. I have on and sometimes use it on shoots. I mount the stand to a cheap tripod and use my primary tripod for the camera (if needed).

leitan

guys, i started this thread a while ago and had yet to really respond, but thank you for all the super helpful information (and funny stories)! i never purchased a stand yet, but i'm tempted to get one of those stands that can be attached to a tripod.

thanks for all the tips and pictures, they are really enlightening! in an unfortunate twist of irony i got really sick over May-June, so i pretty much only took indoor DD pictures, but i'm hoping this August to take my doll(s) somewhere outside for a shoot ^^"

marisa_doll
As far as children go, I only had one little girl approach me at a park and all she did was walk up and say "I like your Barbies!" And then she ran off.

This made me laugh!

I've got to try outdoor shots some day. Scotland's a bit too windy, or its raining, so I'm afraid to go out with my doll!

Seeing all the wonderful pictures you can take is really inspirational though!

My SQ Hibiki

I am putting up for adoption a SQ-Lab Ren head on flickr. Contact me for more details!

Ara

Because I plan an outdoor shot the next days (as soon as it stops raining here ), here's what I usually take with me/how I shoot outside:

I'm usually alone, which means I need to take stuff with me that I'm able to carry on my own and that I'm able to use without some kind of helper.

I usually have my big backpack, including:

- at least one different lens, since I have my 100mm usually already attached to the camera I take a 50mm and sometimes 35mm with me too...you never know when inspiration hits you, and the 50mm and 35mm are very small and barely take away space

- a reflector

- a magic sponge, bottle of water, glasses cloth and a towel, for emergency cleaning of either the doll or lens

- hand sanitizer, because it cleans your hands if something happens AND makes them super dry, which is good when you have to fiddle with beasty fiber wigs :I

- accessoires I intend to use for the photos

- (extra eyeputty in case they can't hold the accessoires)

- a doll-stand

- a wig brush

- a mobile phone, for emergencies (you never, never know)

I usually carry the camera around my neck.

Why? First, because my camera (and the lens too) are rather big and take away a lot of space in the backpack.

Second, and that's the bigger reason, it makes you look more official or like you have something important to do with this camera while carrying a doll on your arm.

I also usually take my students card with me and attach it to my coat, so when people ask me about what I'm doing I can easily say it's done for university, some kind of art class I have to do this for or whatnot (I'm not even studying something in the art area, I'm actually studying history)

Usually people are super understanding then and also less creeped out.

I'm female, but I already had worried parents coming up to me asking if I would take photos of their kids from far away, but seeing the doll and the card usually calmed them down a lot before I was even able to answer.

When taking only one doll with me I usually just carry it on my arm, sometimes with a doll-stand already attached.

I never go really far away from home though, either down into the public garden, on the big bridge next to our house or the beautiful subway station 5 minutes from here.

I'm living in a very quiet area of the city with a lot of parks and mainly old folks living here, so it's safe to walk around with them.

If I'm taking more with me, usually one is in a doll carrier and the other on my arm.

I rarely take more than one doll with me, and even less often more than two, so that's fine.

I guess for anything more I would definitely take a helper with me since it's hard to carry so much and it's also rather stressful to pose and watch for three or more dolls.

I also prepare the dolls in a way that makes them ready to shoot as soon as I arrive.

That means, dress them already at home, already try out what you want to do with them and if it's possible (like holding something up etc.), clean them if they are dirty and so on.

This saves a lot of time (and frustration) as soon as you have reached your location, which means you can leave earlier and be more successful too

ZZ0WsD1.jpg

soulcanon01

wow, putting dollfie and stand on triport would gives more angles for shooting, why i havent figure it out until now. thank you! :o

Catli

A foldable trolley is a must.

I packed 2 tripod + umbrella + my dd carrier onto the trolley, the camera/len/flash in dslr bag.

Louis

For outdoor photography I will take 2 tripods, 1 light stand, 2~3 flashlights, 1 reflector and a dollstand.

Also i will use my 16~35MM and 24~70MM depend on what kind od short i want to take

VeRT

Dollfie Stand + Doll Supply kit is a must.

Please fix your doll wig properly before a shoot.

Other than that I usually bring a Reflector or a Flash with me, but if there's light then flash is not that necessary.