Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

MaxArcher

Dollfie-sized dressers.

MaxArcher

I found these miniature sets of drawers at JoAnn fabric a week or so ago, and thought they'd be perfect for DD use. They're a little small, but they give the impression of being small furniture rather than being out of scale. I don't remember the exact prices, but the large one was around $8 and the small one was a little less.

So, starting off, here's the unfinished furniture. (With display help from my GF's (Maridah) doll Madhuri.)

sundresscase1of1.jpg

firstcoat1of3.jpg

So the first step in the process was to prepare the surface by sanding it. I did this a little too lightly, there were some spots of glue that I hadn't seen that caused a bit of trouble with the stain later. I may do more and sell them at some point, I'll do a much more thorough job with those.

firstcoat2of3.jpg

I initially went with a Minwax Polyshades stain. These are a combined stain and clear coat. Specifically, this is American Chestnut Satin. I put on two coats of the Satin finish.

firstcoat1of1.jpg

20110329-DSC_2639.jpg

The Satin was a very nice finish, and I might use it again on something else, but I decided I wanted a bit more gloss, so I went over the whole thing with fine steel wool, as recommended by the can, and then bought a can of the same color, but in a gloss finish, instead, and did a third coat of stain with that.

20110330-DSC_2655.jpg

After the finish was dry, I felt that the unfinished drawers and back of the cabinets needed some work, as you can see here. So, I bought some suitable scrapbooking paper and lined the drawers and back.

20110329-DSC_2641.jpg

20110329-DSC_2644.jpg

20110330-DSC_2657.jpg

20110330-DSC_2663.jpg

And, finally, here's the finished product.

20110330-DSC_2666.jpg

20110330-DSC_2668.jpg

Hope you guys like these. I've still got some other plans for this setup. I'm going to make a functional table lamp and hide a battery box inside the top drawer of the larger dresser. I'd also like to remove the crude handles and sand off the excess glue and replace them with some real brass fittings, I'm thinking that some buttons made for a jacket cuff would be perfect.

DD Beatrice - DD Saber/EXTRA

baldylox

Excellent work!

You're right that the sizing is a bit small but it doesn't look out of place at all, it's almost like childrens furniture!

The staining made a big difference on them, they look so much nicer like that. But the big difference was with the drawer liners. That small detail put these over the top. Well done!

I like the pictures you posted, a step by step was nice to see.

You also have an excellent model in Madhuri! She's quite cute.

Billy

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

fenrir z78

They turned out very nice. I was thinking about buying those dressers when I was at the store the other day. But my wood workers pride would not let me. I may get them just to use as a patern and make them bigger. Now as for the draw pulls look over where they sale the doll houses. sometimes there are parts that you can use that are to scale. Or you can get some brass rod 1/8 inch thick bend and cut in to handles. The color stain you used is very nice ( I like darker colors ) but if you get some more dressers try Minwax Sedona Red 222.( you will need a can of clear coat ) that mite mach your chair better or a stain with more red in it. But I like the dressers the way you did them.

side note: What grit sandpaper did you use ?

mitsuki

That looks so cute and so is Madhuri! I have some cupcakes that look like that one. They are actually lip glosses.

fenrir z78
Hope you guys like these. I've still got some other plans for this setup. I'm going to make a functional table lamp and hide a battery box inside the top drawer of the larger dresser. I'd also like to remove the crude handles and sand off the excess glue and replace them with some real brass fittings, I'm thinking that some buttons made for a jacket cuff would be perfect.

This may or may not help with your table lamp but it is a way to run power to lights.

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/crafts/dollhouses/electrical-components/

yeahplayer

They look great! Much nicer stained! I'd love to try to MAKE my own dressers ;o

tommy2leung

They looks great~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tech: Copy & Paste

waha

Wow, they really look great! I want a set for myself!