Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Deinbeck

Epic fail sewing attempt

Deinbeck

So I decided that I was going to make a pair of white tights for my MDD.

I don't sew. I watched my grandmother make stuff on a century-old singer all the time, I figured that qualified me plenty

So I go to fabric land, ask for white stretchy tights material and some white thread. I go home and mess with the dusty old singer... it's skipping stitches. I decide "HELL, I'll just go buy a cheap machine at walmart!"

$99 later, it's 2am, and my monstrosity is complete. Pattern made by tracing one leg, In highlighter marker no less.

I'd throw up a pic, but I can't even get them over Noumi's feet

In any case, props to people that have this skill, it's much harder than it looks

If I didn't have so much fun messing around with this all day I *might* be frustrated at my ineptitude. I'm getting that "YOU MUST MASTER THIS, NOW THAT YOU HAVE FAILED HORRIBLY" feeling...

Taidai

Oh man, sewing fails are awesome aren't they? I'm going to making all of my little lady's clothing so there's bound to be tons in store, I'd love to see pics so I don't repeat the mistakes

Be sure to check out my misadventures in the Dollfie Dream world:

I have NO idea what I'm doing and my Flickr

Deinbeck

I'm amazed that i ended up with something that looks remotely like what i was trying to make, but oh, so bad

I really like making things myself when I can, but this takes some serious practice and training I'm thinking. Especially since it's scaled down to such a small size. Detail work is my thing, but this was much harder than anticipated!

misskale

Did you add on a seam allowance after tracing the pattern?

There are some good tutorials on both chun's blog and Kuraikawai's blog related to DD sewing.

http://puppy52dolls.com/tutorials/

http://www.murasaki.me/tutorials/

I'm just starting out as well, and I'm using them as a kind of starting point.

On the skipping stitches though, my sewing machine came with a special needle for stretchy fabrics. They said if you don't use it, it has a ball shaped head, then the machine will skip stitches. So, perhaps that's what is happening on the Singer?

jadepixel

Yup, you should be using the ball point needle, and a stretch stitch like zig-zag for best results. Once you figure it out, stretch fabric is really fun since it's more forgiving than the non-stretchy stuff!

I made a pattern for DD-size stockings, you should be able to do something similar to make MDD size-

http://jadepixel.blogspot.com/2012/03/stocking-pattern-for-dd.html

Poofiemus

It's okay, we all screw up sometimes. The first thing I sewed for Agatha was a pair of underwear, and I actually managed to botch it! I totally wasn't paying attention to what I was doing, so instead of sewing the front and back together, I sewed the two sides, so I ended up with this thing that resembled a mutant hot dog bun. Another time (when I again wasn't paying enough attention), I sewed a sleeve onto the neck hole. XD

Thankfully, unless your fabric is really fragile, you can usually take the seams out and do it again. I may actually do that to a couple of the seams on Nanoha's new dress before I move any further forward with it, but in this case it's more because I'm being a stickler for symmetry than because of any new case of extreme negligence.

TL;DR: I My Seam Ripper.

In this household, sanity is considered a tresspasser.

PlasticFantastic
TL;DR: I My Seam Ripper.

This was the best part. I second this sentiment as someone new to machine sewing! XD

DDForum-Signature3.jpg

Please visit my YouTube channel for helpful DD tips, tutorials, and reviews!

BlueShuShu

At least you finished it...even if it did fail, I started to make my girl a dress, top and jeans about 5months ago....haven't taken them back out of the box for about 3months+ x.x I sorta half finish something then start something new xD is really bad

animagic4u

Out of everyone here, heck, would I know epic failed sewing attempts. No one in my family knows how to sew except my grandparents who don't live anywhere near here.

I've been sewing for a year all self taught. Just keep pushing yourself to move forward and keep challenging yourself and you will get better I promise. Just don't give up! I know how frustrating it can be.

Dollfie Dream: Rei (DDdy, HDD04), Mikila (DDII, HDD04), Haruka (Ob50, DDS Millhiore), Shimamura Uzuki

Pure Neemo: Sayuri, Ayu, Alice

Resin: Terra, Koharu, Aki