Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
spindlewood

Question(s) about SQ Lab heads

spindlewood

I'm a DD newbie and I was doing some DD research and I came across SQ Lab. I really like the SQ23 Tachibana head. I understand that the SQ Lab heads are made of resin, is that right? Does that create any problems with balance of the head on a DD body?

Alphakitty

The SQ heads are a bit heavier, but not by enough to cause problems. The DD neck joints are strong enough to hold them up for sure--from my experience they work fine on the DDS, DDII/III, and DDdy, and even an older, weak-jointed MDD.

DD Family: Mari, Saber Lily, Marisa, Soniko, Noumi, Kirino, Kuroneko, Sakura (DD Sakuno), Aerie, Akira, Kiki, Koko, Rose (DDS Mariko), Kureha, Ryoko, Lucy, Haruka, Rise, Extra & Alter!

Kumi

The only real problems with SQ is (imho)

1. no means to keep the headcap on - You have to use tape or something

2. almost no friction on the neck peg - again You have to secure it some other way.

And some are smaller than regular DD heads, so 8-9" wigs are quite big on them.

spindlewood

Thank you, Alphakitty and Kumi, for your responses!

Kumi, I saw a discussion on the board of the SQ lab heads being smaller and somewhat disproportionate to the DD body. I'm thinking it would be best to stick with a DD head rather than going with the SQ Lab head.

Thanks again!

Kumi
Kumi, I saw a discussion on the board of the SQ lab heads being smaller and somewhat disproportionate to the DD body.

Don't believe that

6300091846_c8d0d87f9d_z.jpg

Enchanted evening by Kumi 27, on Flickr

Janeway

How would a person put a sqlab head on an obitsu 48cm body?

Guy9394

The SQ Lab head is smaller but the size actually looks better in my opinion. It all depends on whether you are used to looking at DD or figures. For example, if you compare a Tony Taka DD (from the shining series) and a Tony Taka figure, you'll notice the head is a bit too big in the DD version. Having a slightly smaller head makes the body (LEGS!!!) looks longer and has a more elegant appearance. Also consider the body you'll be using (I use a normal M bust).

Based on the few wigs I've got, Miruya wigs feels too big on a SQ Lab head. Volks wigs fit but Crobi's 8-9 is a perfect fit.

Janeway

Thanks Kumi

battrastard

@Spindlewood, Feel free to check out any pics I have here of Tana. She's an SQ07 "Tsubaki" on a DDII normal skin body with an "M" bust, I've never had any problems with her proportions, head-to-body wise..

Her head is just a tad bit loose on her neck, but not so bad that she has posing problems.

The headcap issue is easily fixed with a few "bb" sized bits of eye putty or silicone earplugs. (whatever you may use for attaching your kiddos eyes in the head.)

Wigs... Same really, just a head cap will tighten up the fit...

Link! Here's a few other shots, including Maiko as a comparison for head size differences: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rattwerks-gallerie/

(Maiko is a Volks 02 "Mio" on a DDII)

"Madness takes it's toll, Please have exact change!"

Janeway

Can the inside of these head be sanded due to mine needs alittle sanding. I'v noticed that the color don't not match the obitsu 48cm body that l have so l bought another DDS body.

Kumi

Inside? Of course it can be sanded, since it's resin. With all needed precautions (mask etc.).

But what for, if I may ask?

Janeway

Kumi the head is not smooth on the inside of the head and l want to fix some of these spots.

Kumi

Well, the only part inside I can imagine, which may need sanding, are the eye-sockets, hence I'm curious.

The inside of the head isn't visible so I wouldn't care if it's not smooth enough