Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

aiRreyes

Doll Stand

aiRreyes

I've been planning on buying a doll stand for quit a while though I can manage Soleil to stand on its own but I've come up to buy one since she got a bit of a high heeled shoes and she can't even balance on it.

What is the difference between the cool cat doll stand from volks?

Which do you prefer buying?

Hope someone could help me along

6853819370_62b89ea6a5_t.jpg

Home: ~Soleil~ (DD Sendo Erika) ~Lilith~ (DDS Melty) ~Quinzel~ (DDH-07) ~Haruka~ (DD Mio)

archangeli

Volks stands are very sturdy. Whether you get a wooden or metal base is up to you. I suggest a saddle stand (aka "U"-stand) rather than one that holds the doll at the waist (aka "C"-stand) because the way the bar is will interfere with most outfits.

The nice thing about the Volks stands is that they are a one handed operation if you need to adjust the height and are holding the doll.

The Coolcat ones can require both hands to adjust the height because you have to turn a screw, adjust the height of the stand and then tighten the screw again. If you're doing an outdoor photoshoot, this can become problematic. I love the clear acrylic base of the Coolcat stands - it goes with any decor in your room, but be careful because it can scratch easily. Coolcat also makes thigh-stands which I love! Since DD's are very stable and can stand on their own easily anyways, the thigh stand gives them just enough support so that I don't worry if my cat jumps up onto the desk or something. >__<" They also come in a 12cm base, which is much smaller than the Volks base and makes it easier to display lots of dolls. (There's a 15cm base option too) They also come apart very easily so you can tuck them into a bag if you want to take the stand out with you.

The Coolcat stands are much cheaper than the Volks ones, and easier to get (the metal ones have been out of stock on Volks USA for ages). They sell the C stand and U stand in a combo pack that's discounted.

OtakuDepot did a video chatting about the DollfieWorld stand and the Coolcat stand. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8IQ2A_RZvs

I also own a DollfieWorld stand, but the larger base means that it take up too much space, I don't use it very often. The tripod mounting is helpful but I wouldn't buy another. I found it rather poorly made (the tripod mount piece fell out of the bottom and had to be epoxied back in, and the metal pieces are a bit wobbly compared to how straight and sturdy the Volks stand is) considering that it's more expensive than Volks or Coolcat stands! >__<"

I know there are BJD companies that sell metal C-stands for about $15. They aren't as pretty as the Volks or Coolcat ones but they also do the job!

I kind of rambled on for a bit here, but if you need any more info let me know.

Edited by Guest

8450151887_2e94dd76fd_n.jpg

Archangeli.net | Twitter: @MsArchangeli | YouTube: Archangeli

Averis

I second the Coolcats thigh stands. I just got a third one.

Couple things about them, though. The base can scratch easily, as archangeli said. Mine already have some on the bottom. >.

The screw that tightens the thigh arm can hit the doll leg, possibly leaving a mark. So just be aware of that.

Otherwise they are great stands. If you have a DDS I'd say get the DDS stand because the standard one leg arm can't lower enough to stand the doll unless they are wearing shoes of a decent thickness.

waha

I like the Volks stands personally, but I have some bad experience with the metal base one. On mine if I screw the "stand" part fully into the base it won't be level on the bottom. Must be some construction fault with it. No problems with the wooden base ones though.

I have a few Cool Cat stands too, and while the're nice I just prefer the look of the Volks ones.

Innocentsake

I finally bought my first stand after agonizing about it for quite awhile. Got the "U" Saddle Stand with wooden base from the Volks store and I love it. Like archangeli said, it is really easy to get your girl in and out of this stand as well as adjusting it. It works really well if your girl wears a lot of dresses & skirts. Of course if they are wearing shorts/jeans the rod that holds her up will show in the front, but that doesn't bother me. I also like the lil stopper they have to keep the rod at whatever length you desire instead of having to work with screws to tighten the rod into place. Though I've been very careful with it as I've heard the stopper is prone to breaking since it is just made of plastic :3

In the future I'd like to get another stand from Volks that holds from the waist and a thigh stand from Coolcats so I have many options when taking photos

Also the video comparing all the different stands is actually done by OtakuDepot not Otakusan167 Really great video, one of the first things I watched when I was doing research on the kind of stand I wanted.

archangeli
I second the Coolcats thigh stands. I just got a third one.

Couple things about them, though. The base can scratch easily, as archangeli said. Mine already have some on the bottom. >.<

The screw that tightens the thigh arm can hit the doll leg, possibly leaving a mark. So just be aware of that.

Otherwise they are great stands. If you have a DDS I'd say get the DDS stand because the standard one leg arm can't lower enough to stand the doll unless they are wearing shoes of a decent thickness.

Yes - good point, the regular one is too tall for the DDS. I caved and bought myself a DDS thigh stand

I finally bought my first stand after agonizing about it for quite awhile. Got the "U" Saddle Stand with wooden base from the Volks store and I love it. Like archangeli said, it is really easy to get your girl in and out of this stand as well as adjusting it. It works really well if your girl wears a lot of dresses & skirts. Of course if they are wearing shorts/jeans the rod that holds her up will show in the front, but that doesn't bother me. I also like the lil stopper they have to keep the rod at whatever length you desire instead of having to work with screws to tighten the rod into place. Though I've been very careful with it as I've heard the stopper is prone to breaking since it is just made of plastic :3

Also the video comparing all the different stands is actually done by OtakuDepot not Otakusan167 Really great video, one of the first things I watched when I was doing research on the kind of stand I wanted.

oops! fixed that!

Volks sells the plastic stopper on the stand separately for about $2-3 iirc. I grabbed one "just in case" but haven't needed it yet.

Also the white plastic coating on the Coolcat stands can absorb dye! This is very rare, but it happened to me with a pair of tights from Nine9style. The tights stained the stand, my resin doll, and I didn't notice that the marks on the stand, put a DD in it and the stand stained my DD!

7693647222_12bf0f6ec2.jpg

7693653834_ee82538d19.jpg

I've only had this happen with that one pair of black tights - but it's something to mindful of with the CoolCat stands.

8450151887_2e94dd76fd_n.jpg

Archangeli.net | Twitter: @MsArchangeli | YouTube: Archangeli

aiRreyes

I've learned a lot about doll stands xD now I'm planning on having this one from coolcat

http://us.sk-coolcat.com/front/bin/ptdetail.phtml?Part=sta_dd_13&Category=0

since the packaged has the C and the U stand :3 and I prefer the crstal base instead of a metal or wood I was wondering about the C-stand, you could put it on the thigh and waist area of the doll? correct me if I'm wrong >.<

Thank you as well archangeli for telling me about DollfiwWorld stand :3 I've watched the video as well and the base of it is just bigger than coolcat @_@

6853819370_62b89ea6a5_t.jpg

Home: ~Soleil~ (DD Sendo Erika) ~Lilith~ (DDS Melty) ~Quinzel~ (DDH-07) ~Haruka~ (DD Mio)