Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

littlebearries

Faceup Preferences

Yukamina

I guess I'm odd then, 'cause I prefer lots of colour and blush ^^;

I know anime characters usually don't have much colour on their faces, but DD faces look a bit like their missing something. I'm too used to other ABJDs!

PlasticFantastic
I guess I'm odd then, 'cause I prefer lots of colour and blush ^^;

I know anime characters usually don't have much colour on their faces, but DD faces look a bit like their missing something. I'm too used to other ABJDs!

I think part of it is that DD's aren't supposed to be realistic so they don't have the shading that most other BJD's do. DD's are based from anime - and so it follows the styling and cell-shaded nature of anime.

Personally I don't think they're "missing" anything - they're highly stylized.

DDForum-Signature3.jpg

Please visit my YouTube channel for helpful DD tips, tutorials, and reviews!

battrastard

I like minimal face-ups myself, which is what I tried to do with Tana. I would've liked to add just a small touch of blush, and maybe even a light sprinkling of freckles across her upper checks and nose, but I stopped myself from the attempt. Way too out of practice in the fine detail painting department!

"Madness takes it's toll, Please have exact change!"

Poofiemus

Y hello there!

I guess I like a middle road myself. I do like fairly minimal blushing, but I like when what's there has a relatively "soft" treatment. For instance, I like a fuzzy edged, pastels/airbrush look to lip color. And with eyelashes, I like it when they're not all just stark black. For instance, what Volks has done lately on some DDs is have one layer of eyelash colored, dark brown or in the case of Sakuno and Sakuya, purple, with then another, daintier layer of black for definition. Basically, blushing everywhere or tons of painted-in eyelashes is too much, but I think some degree of subtlety helps bring a bit more depth to them.

And now I'm reminded of how much I've been wanting to re-do Agatha's faceup. Hopefully I can once this sculpting commission is done and I get my desk space back.

In this household, sanity is considered a tresspasser.

littlebearries

And now I'm reminded of how much I've been wanting to re-do Agatha's faceup. Hopefully I can once this sculpting commission is done and I get my desk space back.

Thanks for the input! ... but... sculpting commission????!!!??? (I want to see! ... examples of your sculpting!!!)

7782845246_e35680d49e_o.png

Poofiemus

Thanks for the input! ... but... sculpting commission????!!!??? (I want to see! ... examples of your sculpting!!!)

I've got a couple on my website, woodwardanimation.com, and some of my (way) older ones are on my DA (still Poofiemus). Once I get the paint done I'm hoping to get the OK from the client to post pictures on Figure.fm and my site.

In this household, sanity is considered a tresspasser.

battrastard

Here's a quick link to SQLabs:

http://sqlabdolls.net/

http://sqlabdolls.com/

Either link will take you there.

Caution: They are resin, and a bit pricey, FYI. But they do look good.

"Madness takes it's toll, Please have exact change!"

Rambelin
Which type of faceup do you guys prefer? Or does it not really matter as long as it looks good?

Everything is kind of focused around the eyes. the eyes determine a lot of the facial features for me. the color, the shape, how that interacts with the eyebrows, makeup and even the way the lips are painted. i dont like it when theres black lines inbetween the chin and lips for depth, the blush can be overpowering. and the eyebrows can really set the expression. im really picky