Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
baldylox

Table Extras! Or, how I made end tables from scraps

baldylox

After I made the big, black table, I did have some wood leftover. I didn't want to throw it away since it was in good shape but I wasn't sure what I'd need it for. Then the idea hit me to make some end tables to go along with the nice chairs I already had. I went and got measurements from the chairs so that they were at the correct height to match and then I started the process of making these. These were being built while I was waiting for glue and paint to dry on the black table.

First up is the extra pieces of wood I had left. I had one long piece from the tabletop and one full piece of the 1x1 block. So I cut the tabletop piece into 3 pieces, 2 being 9.5 inches square and the other was trashed.

5219287760_c13e571db1_z.jpg

Instead of doing boring old square end tables, I decided to spice it up and cut them into octagonal shapes. This wasn't easy because getting the sides to be of equal length took a lot of measuring before I could actually cut anything. It worked out to be 3 and 7/8 inches per side. For these precise type cuts, I used my jigsaw since it's easy to make short cuts.

5219294898_f0e5da25a1_z.jpg

After cutting off all the sides and getting my pieces ready, I had to sand them bigtime. Instead of leaving the edges sharp and crisp, I wanted these to be rolled over and rounded. So I used my orbital sander to do that.

5219291384_4d2f559209_z.jpg

Here you can see a before and after shot of the edges getting sanded. I also sanded the tops to get a smooth surface for later.

5219301790_76b88d1c93_z.jpg

So now I have both tops done and all the legs ready. Unfortunately, I ran out of leg wood and had to go to 3 legs per table instead of 4. Oh well, this just makes them more unique!

5218709195_1d9bfb9a4b_z.jpg

I used the exact same techniques to mount these legs so I'll spare you all the details. Here are the legs getting clamped for gluing time.

5218717339_700509b447_z.jpg

So now after the glue dried, lets see how they look before staining.

5219309872_98ff17e479_z.jpg

Not too shabby if I do say so... Now I went digging around the garage because I knew I had some leftover stain from before. And here it is:

5218724883_2e2f6c4eeb_z.jpg

So just like painting, I took these outside to stain them. Man, does stain stink! Here they are after one coat.

5218728725_92139d2516_z.jpg

After that layer dried, I did one more and called them done. I left them under a fan overnight to completely dry before I added 2 layers of clearcoat on top to give them some shine.

So I let that dry for 4 hours under fans and then decided to bring them inside so the girls could actually use them. These pics were taken right after the big dinner on the black table.

This is Tsubaki playing games online. She has the printer setup as well altho I am not sure why. At least it is within easy reach for her now!

5219321664_162b133046_z.jpg

And here is a shot of the tabletop with all sorts of things on it. The TicTacToe game is there along with her printer and her drink. Looks like it works well for her!

5219327560_8b0372c667_z.jpg

Rei has decided to play with my MP3 player and listen to some tunes.

5218735299_a277c9d39d_z.jpg

Rei - "Papa, I need a refill in a few minutes. Can you get it for me?

Sure thing dear, just let me finish taking these pics....

5219334208_e59584b2ae_z.jpg

And it looks like Yoko is cleaning her guns. She's got the pistol ready and is working on the machine gun.

5219330970_e029fee6f6_z.jpg

Here is a closer shot of the table itself that Tsubaki was using.

5218748075_3af430338e_z.jpg

And this is the one that Yoko and Rei were using.

5218751309_0d5634a09b_z.jpg

Looking at them like this makes them almost seem full size! I'm pretty happy with how these turned out, especially since they were scrap pieces. I hope yall enjoyed the process and the pics!

Billy

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

mitsuki

The end tables turned out great. That was such a fantastic idea. They look awesome sitting in their chairs and using the convenient end tables. I love Yoko's guns! That blue chair is perfect for Rei's blue color scheme. Tsubaki surfing the internet with the little printer next to her is super adorable. They are all so cute!

baldylox

Thanks alot! I'm pretty happy with how they turned out and they didn't take too long to make either.

I'm thinking when things wind down after New Years, I'll be doing those bunk beds I mentioned to you before.

Billy

mitsuki

Beds is the next thing the lab members thought of when they saw the end tables. They were excited that you are going to try that next. We think it will be a complex project. Good luck! I am sure the bunk beds will turn out great.

baldylox
Another great woodworking project form you. I like the stained look a lot!

Thank you, I appreciate it! I think I am going to eventually stain the first table I made too. But it will be a lighter shade of stain.

Billy

baldylox
Beds is the next thing the lab members thought of when they saw the end tables. They were excited that you are going to try that next. We think it will be a complex project. Good luck! I am sure the bunk beds will turn out great.

Ah, so great minds think alike!

It will have to wait til after New Years but I do want to do the bunk beds now. I have the itch after doing these so I need to see if I can bump up my skills a bit for them. It will take way longer and I'll have to have someone else make the mattress's for me since I cant sew. But it will be a challenge and fun to see if I can pull it off.

Billy

MyuMyu

Awesome work! I wish I had your skills. This size is so cool, even me could have room to place it.

baldylox

Thank you! I'm glad you like them. And yes, they don't take up much room so you could have them in almost any size home and save space.

Billy