The Ecchizonans

Zoom Meetup

Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

chien

Trading Card Games! (MTG, YGO, and More!)

chien

Who plays? ;3 I just got into YGO but I've been playing MTG for a while. Super excited over guilds wahhhh!

Sporkaroni

I used to play MTG back in the day, started on Revised edition and played until about after Ice Age. Went back to it a few times around different sets and editions but I don't really remember which ones off the top of my head. I did recently kind of get the feeling to want to play again after looking at some cards at the store the other day.

The only other card game I played was the WoW TCG, but I barely played it as the main reason I bought those were for the loot cards.

SchroedingersCat

I started playing MTG about Revised Edition myself. Played pretty much continually but casually until Invasion/Odyssey period when I started to play competitively. At my peak I was #8 in Australia, but never managed to win an entry into the Pro Tour or World Championships. I stopped playing competitively once I got my current job, but still play casually. My best placings were several firsts at large prerelease events.

Currently running a ub aggro control deck, but also building a ur control.

I briefly played the WoW TCG, even qualified for nationals, but was unable to attend due to work, and have played the Dragonball Z/GT game pretty competitively too.

I don't even want to consider what I've spent on MTG over the years. It's definitely enough to put down a deposit on a decent sized house... 00;

Now with +/- 15% more uncertainty!

Ravendruid

I used to plat MTG WAYY back in High School, but quit before revised came out. Pretty sure I lost all my old cards when our basement flooded. I picked up a couple new starter decks about a year or two ago, but really haven't done much more than play a couple games against Yuriko.

I also used to play the old Star Wars TCG, can't remember now who published it back then, but I liked it a lot more than the current game, due to its greater complexity.

I also fairly recently picked up a starter deck of Pokemon, just to check it out. Looks kind of interesting, but I'd probably only play it with our girls, since I'm just not very social.

Daddy of: Yuriko, Sohi, Miku and SK's many kids

12437295384_b307eb5ce8.jpg

Lumirei

I used to play YGO a lot when it first came out but never had anyone to play with. Now I only play MTG all the time with my fiancé and I have gotten good at it XD don't like playing competitively though.

Happily at home:Lumière, Yoko, Nia, Lily, Vivienne, Altria, Lilith, Claire, Sakuya, Sakura, Haruhi, Aurelia, Melty, Miyako, Unnamed 03, Mariko (student), Momo, Miku, Snow Miku and Asuna.

Awaiting: Kirito

SchroedingersCat
I used to play YGO a lot when it first came out but never had anyone to play with. Now I only play MTG all the time with my fiancé and I have gotten good at it XD don't like playing competitively though.

Trust me, that can change fast. I never thought I'd really play competitively either, until I got my first tournament win...

It's a very heady drug.

Bloodflower

I'm a YGO player on a competitive level and I play MTG and Pokémon casually.

I started with MTG last year and have been playing both YGO and Pokémon for a while now. Although I started with collecting them when I was younger.

Corellia(DD Marya), Sirius(DDS Sirius), Luka(DDdy OOB N-04), Alessa(DDdy Sakura Honya Head) Genma(Azone Kanojo)

Lumirei

Trust me, that can change fast. I never thought I'd really play competitively either, until I got my first tournament win...

It's a very heady drug.

I guess the only thing turning me away from playing competitive is that the competitive people here are really rude XD

Happily at home:Lumière, Yoko, Nia, Lily, Vivienne, Altria, Lilith, Claire, Sakuya, Sakura, Haruhi, Aurelia, Melty, Miyako, Unnamed 03, Mariko (student), Momo, Miku, Snow Miku and Asuna.

Awaiting: Kirito

SchroedingersCat

It's a very heady drug.

I guess the only thing turning me away from playing competitive is that the competitive people here are really rude XD

Oh. That's really unfortunate. I suppose I've been lucky to play with people who were really positive people to be around. But if they were rude and/or unkind... I probably wouldn't hang around either.

Kouriel

My boyfriend introduced me to MGT about a year ago. Since then I'm addicted.

I preordered some Gatecrash items today. I'm so excited.

Shailara

I used to play YGO but kind of stopped after the synchro-thingie got introduced. XD (so YGO 5D's?).

(\_/)
( ' .' ) 
( uu)

Soenatte

Ohhhh boy! My TCG journey starts with Pokemon way back in the day... then I moved on to Digimon which wasn't nearly as long-lived. Then it was Magic the Gathering which I plaid quite hardcore for a few years. Around the time I got tired with Magic I got into Yu-Gi-Oh! which I still play. My decks are a tad outdated -I use a (main) Junk deck and a secondary Morphotronic deck- I also played Duel Masters on the side and while I really loved the game it died out pretty fast.

Nowadays I'm more into Vanguard, building several decks. My current main is a Royal Paladin deck but will switch to my Angel Feather one as soon as it's assembled. I'm also struggling to build a Bermuda Triangle deck but am having trouble with the available units; wishing for more options soon. >^<

DDH07: Naoshin | Yui: Eclaire | DDH10: Noah | DDH01: Mafuyu P-chan: He Tian | Hime-Ane: Millefeuille

Kaito: Sora | DDH01: Astraia Tiamat: Ravus | DDH08: Alto  DDHo9: Leilani DDH07: Fyodor

Midori_Keiko

Awesome! I am starting to get into Vanguard only to play the mermaids.

I am mainly a WS player, and I like to play a Lucia Rewrite deck. I am hoping to build more decks with the Angel beat series as well as Guilty Gear

Home~ Yuki (DD Yukino )

Wishing for: Akira, Mio, Kanu, Saber

Soenatte

I am mainly a WS player, and I like to play a Lucia Rewrite deck. I am hoping to build more decks with the Angel beat series as well as Guilty Gear

Yessss!! xD Another Bermuda Triangle fan! While my favorites are still the amazing angelic doctors of Angel Feather it's impossible not to fall in love with the adorable mermaid idols!

DDH07: Naoshin | Yui: Eclaire | DDH10: Noah | DDH01: Mafuyu P-chan: He Tian | Hime-Ane: Millefeuille

Kaito: Sora | DDH01: Astraia Tiamat: Ravus | DDH08: Alto  DDHo9: Leilani DDH07: Fyodor

SchroedingersCat

I definitely enjoy WS. Never tried Vanguard, it just doesn't grab me at all.

Ravendruid

I got a free Vanguard starter deck in the mail from some promotion they ran a while ago. The game looks interesting, and I love the anime tie-ins, but nobody local sells any of the cards, and knowing there are no local players, I just haven't gotten around to looking up online places to buy.

I often play CCGs and other games against Yuriko and the other girls around the house if I can't find anybody else to play with. It makes for an interesting challenge, trying to play the best strategy for each player, but also trying to keep in mind each different personality and style.

Daddy of: Yuriko, Sohi, Miku and SK's many kids

12437295384_b307eb5ce8.jpg

chien

Vanguard cards are really cute so I'm interested. The Shining series sleeves are so nice too, haha! I'm sure it's fun, but I always think about how starting yet another hobby is a big investment and I should really focus on the hobbies I already have built up a bit on. Cards can get pretty expensive for all TCG, as one person had already mentioned. At a friend's birthday party two years ago, one of them toasted to the person who introduced him to MTG by jokingly proclaiming, "To my friend who got me into something that has now consumed thousands of dollars... eff you."

By the way, this thread was really fun to read through. I don't play competitively at all, but I love the social aspect of playing TCG. I want to get into Pokemon actually because I heard it's just really fun-- plus the decks that they release from champions are good, so a nice starting point for thinking about strategies and deckbuilding.

Really, at times deckbuilding is almost more fun than actually playing the games! Then again, I just really love daydreaming. Speaking of deckbuilding, Dominion is really just such a fun game. I haven't played the moe maid deckbuilding game that I've seen floating around though.

YGO is actually hard for me to keep up with because it's so fast-paced. I'm grateful that the people I play with are patient with me about that, ugh. I'm really picky about the art on cards, which is why I didn't get into YGO until my best friend made me a Madolche deck. I tried building RG werewolves last year for MTG but that really didn't work out, ugh. Back to the drawing board!

Current project for me is to do altered art for YGO cards, because even if my Madolche cuties are super adorable, the other cards I have in the deck (Pot of Duality is soooooo gross looking to me!) don't fit in with the aesthetic I like.

RaveOfNightmares

I stopped playing MTG sometime in HS after getting myself kicked off of the "MTG table" at lunch time for being too "neutral" about how a game ends.

I was playing with my custom made "Expendable Rats" deck, the theme of which is "nothing is sacred, everything is expendable", in a 4-way free for all match. I ended the game by simultaneously killing every creature in play, along with all 4 players including myself. The other players looked at me quizzically and asked, "who wins then?", to which I replied, "no one won and no one lost, it's a dead draw." They all became furious and from that day forward I was no longer allowed to play at that table because I didn't care about winning and my deck designs made no sense to those people, the kinds of people who just copy the world tour winners' decks but don't understand how any other kind of deck can be any good... I never considered my Rat deck to be any good, rather it was for fun, with the deck's specialty lying in the distinct capability to end nearly any game type in a total draw.

21 DD girls: Mio, Marina, Yui, Yoko, Nia, Lily, Arisu, Akina, Momo, Arisa, Yukina, Ayaka, Niimi, Eri, Millefeuille, Ekisu, Chitose, Miyabi, KOS-MOS v.4, Hatsune Miku and God Eater Alisa. 2B in a hopeful future.

Jezrah

Ah, my husband still plays MTG, and that's the kind of deck he loves. He had a Rat Bastard deck, too, and during college he got himself the nickname "The Screw". His most famous deck was his "Screw Deck", which existed largely to screw with the world with blow up spells and Worldgorger Dragons and the like. He doesn't get to play as much as he likes anymore, though, since his work takes him out of town and he can't exactly carry his whole collection with him.

I used to play in high school and college, but about five years ago, before we were married, I sold all my cards to him. I still play casually occasionally out of our own house using his cards, but I was never very good at strategy games.

32717445532_3aa446bd94_m.jpg

SchroedingersCat

Rave, that deck sounds like an absolute blast to play to me. Really, any deck is good as long as the players have fun. That being said, in multiplayer games especially, if no one except you has fun... It's not a deck that should be played. Decks like yours require very tight gaming groups to be accepted most of time. It's sad, but hey...

Years ago I used to play a deck specifically designed to lockdown the entire board in games of 4-6 players. It utilised Mana Flare to double everyone's mana production, and then dumped all that mana into such things as recurring Shard Phoenix, Hammer of Bogarten and constantly casting Capsize to return everything to their owners hands. In a lot of games, the deck never had a prayer of winning, but it was so frustrating to play against that I had to stop playing it.

Later I used it as the basis of a Type 1 (aka Vintage) deck that I rode to a couple of first place finishes in tournaments. Took a lot of remodelling, but the core was the same.

Another deck I played later often ended games in a draw like yours did as well. Utilising Last Laugh with discard and board clearing effects in a multiplayer game often lead to 20+ damage being dealt to everyone simultaneously. That one went down a lot better though, since it was easier to stop the combo.

What your story sounds like is a case of different personalities. You are clearly a "Johnie" player (creative, exploring) player, while the other guys were probably "Spike"s (ultra competitive).

RaveOfNightmares

Dropping a Crypt Rats and detonating it immediately, wiping out most of or all creatures on the board along with half or more of everyone's HP 2 turns in a row made people mad. Especially when the explosion is activated as a response to summoning itself in order to prevent counters... Gotta love those crazy old loopholes for creature abilities that didn't require tapping.

That or have a rat block an attack, then as a reaction to the rat taking damage, sacrifice it to a Skull Catapult to deal enough damage to the other creature as to kill it. Not a happy reaction when a 4 mana critter is dropped by a 1 mana rat along with 1 mana pumped through the catapult. Insert a Chariot of the Sun into the mix if blocking flying creatures is involved.

21 DD girls: Mio, Marina, Yui, Yoko, Nia, Lily, Arisu, Akina, Momo, Arisa, Yukina, Ayaka, Niimi, Eri, Millefeuille, Ekisu, Chitose, Miyabi, KOS-MOS v.4, Hatsune Miku and God Eater Alisa. 2B in a hopeful future.

Ruko

I used to play Magic the Gathering quite often but over the years my friends have all "grown up" and moved away So I don't play much anymore sadly. I'll still buy a new card here and there if I see some artwork I like.

It is pretty much the same for Yugioh as well

Ebuki(SWS DDdy DDH7)