Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

nkei

Your thoughts on selling girls with re-face-ups

nkei

Hi all!

So this question has been bugging me for a couple days because I'm kind of at a conflict regarding this matter. It's not completely like the default title, as I have a blank DDH-04 WS head that was given a face-up by hikaru that I'm considering selling. He did a wonderful job and went beyond my expectations, but I'm just not bonding with that particular girl. I think the main issue is I want a WS MDD body for her but I should just scratch it off as impossible to find . So yeah, I've been toying around with the idea of selling her, but then I get hit with a certain sense of guilt. I've spent all this time waiting for her, and hikaru had given her a wonderful face-up with my instructions, and it just seems like the wrong thing to do to sell her. But on the other hand, I want to provide her with a home that would appreciate her beauty, as right now she is overshadowed by her other sisters >.<.

This led me to thinking, what do you guys think about selling girls with re-face-ups/face-ups by other members in the community? For some reason, I feel that if I had bought a re-face-uped girl off of YJA and sold her I wouldn't feel bad at all but because these artists are members of our community, I would feel a sense of guilt.

On the other hand, what do the re-face-uppers think about others selling their 'work' when someone sells a girl they worked on? Would you feel anything in particular?

I also decided personally that any limited girl that I commission to get a custom face-up on will be mine forever so Winter (Alna) and Momiji (Mai) are staying . And so will Kokoro (Mariko), Kotone (Lucy), and Kohane (Nia) once I decide what I want to do with them xD. Do you guys have any 'plans' like mine, or is default the best? .

Discuss away!

littlebearries

Truth be told, if I do a faceup for someone, and they have the urge to change it after they get it back, be it a month, or a year, or several years later, I'm cool with that.

They paid for my work, I did it, the deal is done... and what they choose to do with it afterwards is totally up to them.

If they sell it, that doesn't bother me, and I have no problem if they add the price of a faceup from a custom artist to the asking price either, I think that's only fair.

I don't think you should feel bad. You waited on the list, you paid your money, you had a vision, and that vision ended up being not quite what you expected. It happens, nothing to feel bad about!

It's not an insult to the artist.

Sometimes it's just hard to get the right "feel" you're looking for, even if the faceup you get is the most beautiful thing in the world, if it's not the feel of the girl you had in mind, it'll still be a little off.

7782845246_e35680d49e_o.png

DivinitaAria

I've done this recently With an 04 head I had for well over a year with a faceup by hikaru. I'm not a faceup artist, but I don't think one would particularly care if someone were to sell a head with a faceup of theirs. They aren't losing anything.

When I sold the head I added $30 to cover the cost of what I paid for for the faceup

Rise- DD Rise | Mariska? - DD01 |Momo/Momoko - DD MOMO | Nayuki - DD Mikuru | Shiori???? - DD Kos Mos

Wishlist:MDD Louise, DD Rise, MDD Maria

Gunter

I've done this a couple of times now, and I see no reason one should feel guilty. You paid your money for their service, and that's all. There is simply no reason why you should have to feel guilty about selling your doll. If the face-up artist doesn't like it then, boo hoo. It isn't their place to really say anything about it, honestly speaking. Sometimes things just don't work out. At least if you sell you know someone else will love them~

Edited by Guest

Ara

I make commissions since 2008, and I always had a "you paid for it, do what you want with it" mentality.

There are many reasons it won't work out with a head, but that's not mine to decide and if someone wants to pass it onto someone else, I'm fine with it.

Only thing I sometimes ask for is that my name in selling threads is not mentioned when I had painted the head in question years ago. It's not showing how my current work looks like and might kill new customers, that's why I usually ask not to do that. But that's a personal pet-peeve of mine.

I know that people like to ask for the money back they paid on the face-up, but I personally dislike that. When the person is buying exactly this doll for the face-up and overall customization, okay. But if they just buy it to wipe it off anyway I don't really think it's fair they should pay for the customization I wanted to have and had most likely enjoyed for a long time.

(with my heads, if I ever sell a head I had not just to customize and make profit out of, I always wipe off the face-ups because a face-up is closely attached to the character for me, and I don't want someone to get my character too >: )

ZZ0WsD1.jpg

Bellatrix

When I bought my Neris, and I commissioned her re-make-up, the artist severely said me not to resell her with the custom make up. Blank was fine, painted no.

If I do the face-ups as a gift to my friends, I'd be sad seeing them reselling the heads I worked on for them, but in case of regular paid commissions I don't really mind of that. Probably I'd be happy to see a head painted by me highly valued on the marked eheh

df64a03a777dc9f9a060ef6b286773b3-1.gif    ✩ 𝓥𝓲𝓬𝓽𝓲𝓶 𝓸𝓯 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓑𝓮𝓵𝓵𝓪𝓭𝓸𝔁 ✩

DJStarstryker

So far we don't have any re-face ups or custom face ups in the house yet. They're all Volks face ups. But if I had a girl with a custom face up and I didn't bond with her for whatever reason, I don't see a problem with selling it. I mean, I either did it myself (probably not, my art skills aren't great) or I paid for it. I'd rather it have a better home if I didn't appreciate it.

Are you ready to rock? ^_^

littlebearries
When I bought my Neris, and I commissioned her re-make-up, the artist severely said me not to resell her with the custom make up. Blank was fine, painted no.

Whoa... did you pay this artist for their work... because if you did, that's pretty ballsy of them.

Now, maybe if it was a friend doing the work for free, I could understand... but if you paid for it, wow.

If you buy a painting, an artist doesn't expect you to wipe the canvas with paint remover before selling it 0_0

7782845246_e35680d49e_o.png

PlasticFantastic

Nkei - have you tried putting your WS 04 onto the DDS body? I found mine looked funny on the MDD and looked the nicest on the DDS with a smaller bust.

DDForum-Signature3.jpg

Please visit my YouTube channel for helpful DD tips, tutorials, and reviews!

Bellatrix

Whoa... did you pay this artist for their work... because if you did, that's pretty ballsy of them.

Now, maybe if it was a friend doing the work for free, I could understand... but if you paid for it, wow.

If you buy a painting, an artist doesn't expect you to wipe the canvas with paint remover before selling it 0_0

I agree that's quite odd. And no, he definitely was not a friend >.<";;

I paid (a lot, too, $100+$30 EMS) to get her a new face-up.

The artist wanted me to guarantee that I would have wiped off her face-up in case of me reselling it.

Thing that, honestly, I find pretty strange and frustrating.

Still, I really like my Neris (well, Melissa!!!) so I don't think I will sell her that soon ^__^

df64a03a777dc9f9a060ef6b286773b3-1.gif    ✩ 𝓥𝓲𝓬𝓽𝓲𝓶 𝓸𝓯 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓑𝓮𝓵𝓵𝓪𝓭𝓸𝔁 ✩

juu-yuki

As a faceup artist: The client can do whatever they want with the head. I have no say in what they want to do with it after they have paid me for my services. It does make me sad when I see a customer sell off a head right when they get it back . Makes me feel like they had no love for the doll or my work and it's just another money making method. Of course, if they are breaking even or losing money over it, that is another story. In the end, I have no say, and I won't say anything because I am sure the doll is going to a better owner who will love them.

If they get the head back and they don't like it, they can wipe it clean and hire someone else. I did my best and it wasn't to their liking. -shrugs- I have yet to encounter that though, but one day, I am sure it will happen.

As a seller: I have sold girls that I have repainted before. It is similar to faceup artist from Japan, selling custom heads on YJA. I do get kind of sad when I have to let them go because I easily spend over 20 hours on every head. But I always tell myself that an owner out there will be very happy with a one of a kind girl. If the buyer wants, I can wipe the head clean and ship it to them blank, I will just be crying while doing it (kidding... kinda).

Yuan

I feel that it's your own property, you can do with it what you wish. It is unrealistic for a faceup artist to expect you to wipe their work if you decide to sell the head.

I've sold resin heads with custom face-ups before and the person buying was very delighted to get a head in that mold by an artist they really liked, and I was delighted that the doll got a new home where he is loved.

If you think someone else will enjoy the work more than you, there's no shame in selling it. Sometimes things just don't work out.

nkei

Wow it was really interesting to read everyone's comments! I tend to be a worry-wart and very guilt driven so it's nice to actually hear what everyone's thoughts on the matter .

I'm glad to hear that the general consesus is that if I don't bond with the girl I can sell her to someone that would love her more without having to feel bad. Because I think it's really important that all the girls get equal treatment . After giving it some thought though, I think I'll hold onto her and change up her wig and eyes to better match my vision for her. If not and I do decide to sell, well, I guess I won't feel as bad about it xD.

It's an interesting topic though so I thought it'd be neat to hear the sides of the face-upers and sellers

Ravendruid

I wouldn't feel especially guilty selling a commissioned custom faceupped girl I just didn't bond with (although I would probably feel very guilty about not bonding, but that's just me). I would feel guilty about it if it were a gift, and in that case would probably just give it to someone else who would love her more, or just hold onto her anyways, out of sentiment. But if you paid for the faceup whatever price the artist was asking, then it's yours to do with as you see fit.

Daddy of: Yuriko, Sohi, Miku and SK's many kids

12437295384_b307eb5ce8.jpg

Misheru

I have never sold one, but I have bought a number of heads second-hand that had custom faceups (one by hikaru, btw ). I have to say that I cherish each and every one.

There are so many talented artists in the community. I cannot do face-ups on DDs (I can paint Obitsus, but the anime style escapes me ). I am happy to have some pieces from others, even if they come to me by way of another collector. If I like the style, I don't care that I wasn't the one to commission it. We don't choose or commission the pre-painted ones from Volks and they are always lovely (and very popular).

So, I don't think it is wrong to sell one if the buyer will respect it. I don't think it is right for an artist to tell you what to do with after you have bought the service (gifts are different).

I feel you are fine selling your head if it is no longer viable for the project you had in mind and you shouldn't worry.

But that is just my opinion.

~ Misheru...the *M* in H&M House of Vinyl ~ ℒℴѵℯ❤

( ͒ ु•·̫• ू ͒) ˚₊✩‧ All your dolliehs are belong to us! ✩‧₊˚ ( ͒ ु•·̫• ू ͒)