Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Anouc

Criticism ~

Anouc

I am nosily about your opinion ^__^

I had a discusion in a german board about criticism. (greetings to those who read it XP)

I saw a thread and gave some criticism about the photos and poses, and tried to explain whats wrong in my opinion, but that again meets criticism ...

I dont know if its only in german boards because i never tried it here befor, but i have the feelings lots of people are against criticism. They felt attacked and scorched. But rarest they feel it like an enrichment. Why?

I also do like when people say my work is good, but i also like to get criticizes because after that i have a point with which i can work with. (Depent on if i have the same feeling )

What do you think? Is it to hard to give criticisms because its only a hobby and the focus should only be the fun. Or would you prefer some criticism sometimes?

https://www.facebook.com/fantasydolls?ref=hl

☆〜(ゝ。∂) ♥ Dollfie Dream Faceups ~ ☆

gaiaswill

Depends. If I'm asking for criticism, then fire away. Be honest. Be brutal. I literally asked for it, after all.

If I'm not asking for criticism, then I'm just posting for my own enjoyment. I'll answer factual questions about the content but will not really be in a mood to entertain artistic critique.

That said, how the criticism is worded matters a little. If it is an unexplained opinion or plain insulting, then it is not really criticism at all simply because it is not helpful or useful. (E.g. "I don't like it," or, "She looks ugly," with no explanation.)

Context is everything. I would generally refrain from criticism unless the post or the entire forum/subforum was specifically about that.

juu-yuki
I saw a thread and gave some criticism about the photos and poses, and tried to explain whats wrong in my opinion, but that again meets criticism ...

What do you mean by this? You gave them criticism and they returned the favour?

Anouc

What do you mean by this? You gave them criticism and they returned the favour?

The point that i gave criticism meet criticism on the thing itself... Arg, do you understand? XD ... (Difficult to explain xD)

gaiaswill

So you posted criticism, then you got criticized for leaving criticism?

Or your advice was disagreed with and criticized?

Anouc

That said, how the criticism is worded matters a little. If it is an unexplained opinion or plain insulting, then it is not really criticism at all simply because it is not helpful or useful. (E.g. "I don't like it," or, "She looks ugly," with no explanation

Thats clear! Only a "i dont like it" isnt a criticism thats only a opinion.

I mean a clear criticism with pro's and contras and a (maybe) explanation how to do it better the next time.

I got criticism for leaving criticism. XD ... (Not that bad, but it wasnt the first time, so i had the feelings that i want to know what people overseas think about it )

I have the feeling that lots of people only want to hear "yeah perfect, magnific, beautyful" even when they know it isnt thaaaat perfect. But why doesent they want to hear a criticism as well? That alone do help them to get better?!? If they dont want to get better, than they shouldnt think "not much comments, but why?"

Yukamina

Hmm, I think some people just feel upset when they are criticized, so they don't like it. I tend not to give criticism if I feel it would be discouraging/ruin the positive tone of the thread.

Sometimes, I don't want to hear criticism on my work because 1) If it took a lot of work, I don't want to change it--so if you point out flaws I won't be able to enjoy it as much 2)I can usually see room for improvement myself, and I'll try to do better next time

Kumi

It depends of the rules, sometimes not even written ones.

Some boards (DoA comes to mind) doesn't allow ANY criticism in the galleries.

There are numerous cases, when You're looking at something plain ugly but all the comments are like "Oh so beautiful" and You can only sigh and go away from that thread. And think, If all the people are blind or just lying

Also, some type of people don't allow any criticism because - You know, there's the term "besserwisser"

Only people willing to learn something will take the criticism - but in most cases they're aware of own lack of experience, like "I know it's not best, tell me what and how to improve this?".

And in a nice, polite discussion we can learn and gain something.

Anouc
It depends of the rules, sometimes not even written ones.

Some boards (DoA comes to mind) doesn't allow ANY criticism in the galleries.

There are numerous cases, when You're looking at something plain ugly but all the comments are like "Oh so beautiful" and You can only sigh and go away from that thread. And think, If all the people are blind or just lying

Also, some type of people don't allow any criticism because - You know, there's the term "besserwisser"

Only people willing to learn something will take the criticism - but in most cases they're aware of own lack of experience, like "I know it's not best, tell me what and how to improve this?".

And in a nice, polite discussion we can learn and gain something.

True! Special these sentense: ...And think, if all the people are blind or just lying.

Coffee

I've encountered this a lot too.

I think some people just wants to straighten their egos by hearing people tell them how "lovely" their work is, when in fact, it could use a lot of polishing.

I've encountered several people who actually write "Please tell me what you think" on their work, yet get really upset when someone mentions one thing that could use some fine-tuning, despite saying that everything else looked lovely.

I like criticism. It helps me see things that I've been unable to notice myself.

I do agree that there are different ways to give criticism, and I do agree that just saying that something is ugly, is not really that much of a critic, as it's just an opinion.

Though, if the person states why they think so, then it's criticism.

I think the best way to give criticism is to write both the pros and cons that you see, and not just the cons.

And also to stay polite, and not just become rude.

Still, in the end, there will still be people who are unable to accept "negative" criticism and people who only wants to hear compliments.

Sorry, I just felt like rambling a bit.

Mina - DDS Millhi, Lucy - DDS Melty, Sammy - DDII Sakuno, Ellie - MDD DDH-01, Niki - MDD Mayu, Sasha - DDIII Miku

Aideen

I think it depends on how the criticism is given.

I'm not confident AT ALL and I believe everything I do just ... well sucks But really everything!!

I know I'm not doing really really great in photography but I hang on and try to improve myself. I know it's not easy to improve if you don't get good criticism to show you what's wrong but if I only get "negative" feedback it really does push me down and I just want to give up everything.

I don't want to get lies about my pictures, I don't really want people to find everything I do beautiful. I don't care about the numbers of comments or numbers of likes on a picture. I just post pictures for me. But getting only positive serious feedbacks helps me to get better and better.

Maybe a lot of people are like me and are not ready to hear the entire truth about what they do. Or maybe it's just the tone of the speech.

I don't know if I'm clear in my explanation >-< and sorry for my bad english

bannieresig.png.9341349be20687131487a208e2fc3789.png

juu-yuki

General rule is, if the person asked for your criticism, then by all means, give it. Remember to support and explain your opinion. Otherwise, if you don't have a positive comment to give, walk away.

Forums tends to bash people whenever they give a negative or constructive opinionated comment. This forum included. I know people, myself included who don't feel safe leaving constructive criticism only because 80% of the time, people tend to reply with negativity. Even if the doll posted is obviously unattractive and you suggest tips on how they can improve her, people will always side with the user who posted the photo. I guess there is also the pressure of judgment and drama because this is a niche market.

I only offer criticism to close friend who I know appreciate or won't take offence in it.

AntElitist

I'm open to any criticism, but not towards people who criticize on unrelated things that lead to derailing the thread, a.k.a. trolling

Anouc

Hmm sad to hear Yuujuki, because i appreciate comments from people which know what they do. But its really rarly that i see criticism comments from you or others. But i understand the reason, atm i have the same feelings about doing criticism comments v_v ...

I also like to hear compliments of course its nice to read (and sometimes i need it for my self-confidence xD), but soooometimes i would like to hear also some construtiv criticism to work with it and try to make it better the next time.

Nekopon

For my undergrad, I went to an art school. Art is pretty subjective, there's bound to be something that can be improved in each piece. It can't possibly speak perfectly to everyone.

But because of this, we also learned to critique each other's work. It's a finesse in speech to be productive and not be rude at the same time. There are two rules we follow, one is to say something nice before you say something "negative".

When I say "negative", I don't mean "Your work sucks".

It must be a constructive criticism. Instead of just saying why don't like it, you also have to explain what they can do to improve for the next time. For instance, "I don't like that hair color, I think a warmer color would bring out her eyes more."

So when you combine the two rules, it is:

"I really like her eyes. I don't like the hair though, I think a warmer color would bring those beautiful eyes out more."

I feel this way of criticism is a lot easier for anyone to swallow, even for people without the thicker-skin. Even for myself, I wouldn't want anyone to just bash/troll all over the hard work I just did but it'd be nice to know what can be improved for the next time.

Keijogirl

I like to get criticism as well as give it, but I really don't understand how some people ask for it but can't take it. I feel like if you ask for it, you should be able to take it, good with the bad.

My thing is this, if you're looking to get better so that people can be impressed with your work, you have to be able to take good and bad criticism. Take what you need and brush off what you don't.

If you're looking for tips on how to improve your photos and someone says "get a better face up for starters, then pay attention to your focal points and make the eyes the focus" and you actually would never ever in a billion years change the face up, (not because you can't afford it, but because you love it) shrug it off, keep it, and listen to the other tips xD

You can't ask people to ignore certain parts of what makes something a bad picture, because it won't get better if it's ignored. Kinda like having someone read your essay, but asking them to over look the grammar mistakes and just tell you if it's good or bad.

I don't understand why people rage and fuss because someone doesn't agree that their little darling is the most precious thing ever. Imo, bad photos make pretty into lame or bleh and different and into odd or bad, but good photos can make what bad photos made into fug, into different and charming.

TL;DR - People should toughen up about criticism. If you ask for it don't whine if it's not a pat on the bum.

At Home: Kiyo, Hikaru , Nikko, Komaki, Miho, Kana-chan, Tamakits, Illya, Misa, Deku, Nao, Zana, Ciri, Aki, Alisa, Kana, Yuka, Kiki, Komaki (Oni Mode), Ai, Chili, NagisaDDh03Erica, Miyabi, Jun,  Haruka, Sasha, and Laila

Saving for: Accessories! Clothes! Shoes! The Works!

Ekidonia

"I really like her eyes. I don't like the hair though, I think a warmer color would bring those beautiful eyes out more."

I think this way of criticism is good

Personnaly, i don't really like criticism when people only say what is wrong ^^' It feels like "You work sucks". I think there is always something good in everywork and it's important to say it (espacially when you say a criticism ^^').

I think the big problem is the way you say the criticism.

I often draw and post it on some board. Sometimes when you read "It's not good, it miss this, you might change this etc etc" when there is nothing positive, it's very hard to take it ^^' I feel "I workd so hard but it sucks. Nothing is good. May i just stop draw ?".

I prefer also to improve myself alone. When I need a criticism, i ask directly "what do you think about it ?" in private.

DD at home : Asuka (Asuka french), Kanae (Yui)

Hpyon

When it comes to photography I frequent two online forums - one that is a local anonymous imageboard and another one that's a traditional message board with visible usernames. The latter has much better photographers and I learn a lot by looking at their work, but the former has much better critique. Since both the person giving and receiving the critique are anonymous and no-one knows who the next poster might be, there's no need to be overly polite or hold back: if there's something wrong with my picture, I'm gonna hear about it. If there's no comments at all on the picture I can draw the conclusion that it's okay but nothing special, and if I get a compliment, I can consider that a great success. On a traditional messageboard with usernames people tend to be a lot more afraid to give critique, probably due to fear of being labeled as a hater and then the possible backlash that's so familiar at deviantart and other such circlejerks.. "if you don't have anything nice to say, keep your mouth shut" and so forth. So even though those anonymous boards can be overly harsh, I've found the critique and comments from those very useful. I don't know if many countries have local ones but 4chan does have boards for photography and there's usually a DD thread going on at /jp/, too.

PrettyCranium

For someone like me who is new to photography, can you recommend any sites to post pics for feedback and criticism?

Keijogirl

Dpreview has a pretty sizable forum

At Home: Kiyo, Hikaru , Nikko, Komaki, Miho, Kana-chan, Tamakits, Illya, Misa, Deku, Nao, Zana, Ciri, Aki, Alisa, Kana, Yuka, Kiki, Komaki (Oni Mode), Ai, Chili, NagisaDDh03Erica, Miyabi, Jun,  Haruka, Sasha, and Laila

gaiaswill

... though I'm not sure how they'd react to a picture of a doll.

Keijogirl
... though I'm not sure how they'd react to a picture of a doll.

Doubt it'd be a horribad reaction, but yeah, I kinda forgot about that xD

For general photography info, tips and such it's a good place. I lurk fredmiranda too. Not many photography centered forums really will have a place for doll or figure pictures, because it's kinda niche, but for general learning and tips they're good places to ask questions and get help.

DoA has a pretty alright section for photo critique. It's got a one picture per thread rule too. If you're mainly focused on dolls. It'd be good for putting up doll photos for critique.

PrettyCranium

Thanks. I'm interested in getting critiques for some of my non-doll pics, so those links are useful.

shinegamix
Thanks. I'm interested in getting critiques for some of my non-doll pics, so those links are useful.

scorpion pics?

making my triumphant return

PrettyCranium

scorpion pics?

Pseudoscorpion. Also birds and other backyard creatures.