Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Marq V

Dollfie Dream with faceplates?

Marq V

I searched for this specific topic and did not find it. Please remove this thread if this topic already exists.

Would you like to see a DD with changeable faceplates?

Similar to the Figma figures, I like the idea of having the option of different facial expressions, though I know it would be a challenge to keep the face-ups consistent between plates and I imagine the cost would be quite high. Also, Volks would have to decide which expressions would be worth their while to produce. Maybe the only way would be to create them on a pay-up-front basis after choosing from a selection?

From a business profit and production standpoint it most likely would not happen, but from a creative and fun point of view I think it would be great to have as an option.

Galfriends at home:

DD: Yoko, Yui, & Briana Rei

Resin: Tatiana, Leda, Miyoi, Tana,... & Gena<3

Jezrah

It would certainly be interesting, and make photo stories easier. I may be interested. But one thing I notice with resin dolls with face plates is that you run the risk of their face falling off and hitting the floor if they fall down. Those are held on by magnet. I don't know if a different system could be used, or if it would help that problem.

32717445532_3aa446bd94_m.jpg

jadepixel

Actually I was working on something like this, trying to mod an 03 head to have half-open eyes and make it a sleepy version of my regular 03 girl Leo. It ended up being pretty tricky and I set the project aside for now. For standard scuplts you can try modding closed-eyed versions to get different expressions like sleepy, smiling, winking, etc. Additive work is harder than subtractive mods, though.

battrastard

I recall having the same conversation at the last EcchiZonan Xmas party with poofiemus..

With the outbreak of all the new (and improving) technologies in 3D printing, why not look at that option?

1/3 scale complete heads wouldn't be that difficult to "map" in a rendering program, then all that would be needed is a map for each expression that's required for eace "faceplate" , similar to a Figma or Nendo...

"Madness takes it's toll, Please have exact change!"

Poofiemus

Yeah, 3D printing would be the most effective way to do it--then you could model a face, back of head, and the attachment system, then clone the face and make your alternate expressions that way. You could even set up your expressions as blend shapes/morph targets/whatever your package of choice decides to call them, allowing you to blend between more than one to fine-tune the expressions before sending them to the printer. Sounds kind of fun actually.

I hadn't realized magnet faceplates were so prone to popping off, Jezrah. I know that SomonulStudios has had some luck making multi-piece, 3D printed props that hold together primarily with friction, so maybe a combination of friction-tabs with magnets in them for security? (thinking of how annoying slight manufacturing variations can make fitting Figma faces)

A couple things that may make more than a couple facial expressions problematic: multiple pairs of eyes, and having to reset the wig with every swap. I suppose if you're doing D.Eye.Ys the money in getting a bunch of eyes put together isn't going to be too bad, but if you've forked out for Twin Snow's, or worse, a limited pair, you're stuck with re-setting the eyes every face swap too. Either way, I expect a faceplate girl is likely to wear a lot of short wigs.

As for whether or not I'd personally want a girl that used faceplates, I'm kind of torn. I do love being able to change the facial expressions on my Figmas (when the face pieces actually fit the head and bangs like they're supposed to, that is), but there are downsides. First there's the practicality issues I listed above; I'm not sure if that'd be annoying enough to take the fun out of it. The other issue is that in photostories she'd be *much* more expressive than the others she'd be interacting with, and I'm kind of concerned that might make the others seem more creepy in comparison, or flat-out make it seem like she came from a different universe than the others. With those qualms, I'd kind of want to see a faceplate girl "in the wild", preferably in a photostory or two, before plunking down the cash to actually bring one home and body her.

In this household, sanity is considered a tresspasser.

Somonul Studios

Yeah, totally do-able with 3D printing, skies the limits with that, some materials are flexible enough when thin you could add locking tabs on the sides so it wouldn't fall out/off (removing head cap to access tabs for removal) If you recast it in vinyl too, it would still work.

Only downside to 3D print is it's very $$$ Just printing out a thigh could set you back $50-60 to give you an idea on size and cost.

I think the output justifies the price though. No guesstimation on will it fit or not and seams that are really noticeable.

16492976027_5767f36f36_o.jpg

Jezrah
I hadn't realized magnet faceplates were so prone to popping off, Jezrah.

I have a tiny Pukipuki and her faceplate never falls off by accident. And my friend had an Iplehouse girl that is solidly on. But there's a thread on DoA about dolls falling down, and I've seen a lot of MSD and SD dolls that lose their faceplate and wig when they fall. I guess it depends on the company.

Cauldroness

My Rosette girl's face fell off if you looked at her wrong. It was a big part of why I sold her.

Doll Photos & Doll Jewelry Sales: Follow me on Instagram

Sugar_Doll

That would be amazing ^^ Volks never seems to listen to any ideas lol

ArcticKitsune
That would be amazing ^^ Volks never seems to listen to any ideas lol

If it makes you feel better, neither does Konami JP. They practically killed their own line by not continuing it fully. They allowed it to coast with what seems like without a care. They won't release the next two Shinki waves with a giant armor, nor proceed further with Busou Shinkis. What ever Volks is doing seems to be on the bright side...for now and per perspective. Seeing those clothing and accessories seems to keep this nice and alive

(Speculation: Bandai most likely destroyed Konami; I know this is half off-topic, just perspective giving. And this sounded different then what I wanted to say >_>)

------

Dollfie Dreams with face-plates would be neat. Since I haven't seen any I'm not really all that eager to jump on it, especially with myself now used to the current face-up. Would be an awesome idea when you want to jump into things fully for photo-shoots, and the whole 3D printing mentioned above. Since I got my eyes from Twin Snow, and they're having issues, I wouldn't be able to get far unless I grab multiple exact accessories from Ersa Flora or whoever else. Pretty sure there would be others that would have to "convert" or at least deal with what they have. I can see the benefits. I'd jump on the bandwagon (maybe) if there is a nice serious face but I think Vara does it nicely already when aiming the camera properly .

As for face-plate style, I'd have to lean on Nendo type. I can't visualize it but I think Nendo would be the best example as it is hollow like the current one with an option to tab it then add the head cap? Friction and magnets? Could. Whatever works in the end I'll agree with. *shrugs*

As for Volks doing it, they should give us a lovely template to choose from. Loads of faces to choose from then we pick and choose which ones we want for the "starter" types. As for character, it would have to be at least 5-10 face-plates. A nice fair number to choose from instead of something that feels "gimmicky". Need to go all out on it or none at all hmm.

*shrugs* I'm just used to what I have now so I'll let you carry on

(Edit: Edited wording to force into on-topicness)

The proud master of a foxy (DD) Varakitsu, Renge, & Caster; Kon!~ Kon!

Coco
My Rosette girl's face fell off if you looked at her wrong. It was a big part of why I sold her.

Oh! I was actually going to mention my Rosette as a good faceplate system. I like the little "puzzle piece" type of lock at the top of her head that keeps the plate on. My Dollshe boy, however, has so many problems with his faceplate. The magnets don't keep it on very well, and the tiny magnet in his chin is useless. I wish he had a little lock like my Rosette just to keep it from sliding off his head because of gravity. I have some problems like that with my Littlefee as well, but that's mostly because I didn't install his face magnets, and possibly because he's so small.

But really, I would kind of be concerned about a Dollfie Dream faceplate system. I would worry her face would fall off, or that constant handling while changing plates would destroy the faceup faster. And, I have a couple dolls with alternate heads and faces, and they don't really get used at all. My Minifee has only worn her sleeping head a couple of times. For casual collectors that don't take that many photos, I don't see too much interest, although some people would prefer to have a doll with just that alternate plate, like the Unoa akubi dolls.

OldMagician

Rosette faceplate's seems to be different from doll to doll, I have no problem with neither of mine, but have seen others where the faceplate is very loose. Adding miniature magnets help though. The real problem with Rosette is that there is not much to change with...

The best system I have is my Fairyland Feeple 65 (Chloe) who was delivered with three faceplates (one opened eyed and one sleeping elf head, and an additional human with half closed eyes). If Volks ever do a faceplate system I would like it to be like theirs. It sits using her tongue (!) and magnets (it would be funny to see them make a faceplate who makes use of this tongue that is hidden when the faceplate is on). Switching faceplates is not something I worry about, storing and transporting them is worse, especially when they have long pointy ears...

Jezrah
(it would be funny to see them make a faceplate who makes use of the tongue that is hidden when the faceplate is on).

Pongpongs have that tongue part visible through the open mouth.