Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
patdes

Modifying an Existing Face Up

patdes

I ran a search for this and similar topics, but nothing really came up. Maybe I'm just not using the right keywords...? Please redirect the newbie if needed. @w@

In any case, here. I'm super in love with the HDD 01 head, and I'd really love to bring her home as an MDD Rena. I'm pretty happy with the default faceup she comes with, but I'm not too keen about the teeth. The open-mouthed smile doesn't really fit the personality I have in mind for her. )

My question is, is it possible to modify the existing faceup into a closed mouth smile? Maybe blushing over the teeth with pastels? I'm not sure how it would work. Or, is it best to get an HDD 01 blank and send her off for a custom faceup, in that case?

I have a little experience with faceups on resin heads, but I'm totally new to vinyl, and I don't wanna screw her up, since all I want to do is play with her as soon as she gets here. XDDD;;;

Thanks for your input!

Jezrah

It is usually possible with a factory faceup from Volks to remove a part of it like the paint on the mouth only. It becomes harder to alter only part of a faceup if it was done by an individual artist, since there are more layers of sealant involved. With more sealant, when you remove some you end up with a line where the rest of the sealant hasn't been removed. But Volks doesn't seal in several layers like that.

DDS Nanami had a style of mouth that not everyone liked, and I have seen several examples where just the mouth paint was removed and changed while leaving the eye makeup intact. And it would need to be remkved. I don't think you'd be able to cover up Rena's mouth with more paint without making it look weird. I have done alterations on default faceups before where I just added color, but I don't think that would work in this case.

I use Windsor and Newton brush cleaner to remove paint from faceups. One thing to remember about that stuff though is that it feels a little oily, so make sure to wash the area off really wellbefore you paint and seal.

As for whether to just get a blank head and send it to a faceup artist, that depends on whether you also love Rena's default eyes and wig. If you would want to replace them then you may as well just buy everything separately and get a custom faceup. But if you love everything about her except her teeth then it's probably easier to alter her. It also depends on how much patience you have. Building from parts requires waiting for everything to be in stock, and also to send the head away for a faceup and return. Buying Rena and altering her would be faster, especially if you get the courage to redo her mouth yourself.

Hope this helps.

32717445532_3aa446bd94_m.jpg

patdes
It is usually possible with a factory faceup from Volks to remove a part of it like the paint on the mouth only. It becomes harder to alter only part of a faceup if it was done by an individual artist, since there are more layers of sealant involved. With more sealant, when you remove some you end up with a line where the rest of the sealant hasn't been removed. But Volks doesn't seal in several layers like that.

DDS Nanami had a style of mouth that not everyone liked, and I have seen several examples where just the mouth paint was removed and changed while leaving the eye makeup intact. And it would need to be remkved. I don't think you'd be able to cover up Rena's mouth with more paint without making it look weird. I have done alterations on default faceups before where I just added color, but I don't think that would work in this case.

I use Windsor and Newton brush cleaner to remove paint from faceups. One thing to remember about that stuff though is that it feels a little oily, so make sure to wash the area off really wellbefore you paint and seal.

As for whether to just get a blank head and send it to a faceup artist, that depends on whether you also love Rena's default eyes and wig. If you would want to replace them then you may as well just buy everything separately and get a custom faceup. But if you love everything about her except her teeth then it's probably easier to alter her. It also depends on how much patience you have. Building from parts requires waiting for everything to be in stock, and also to send the head away for a faceup and return. Buying Rena and altering her would be faster, especially if you get the courage to redo her mouth yourself.

Hope this helps.

It does, thank you very much! I already really like the default eyes and wig that come with MDD Rena - I'm just going to add a little clip or a side ponytail to get it to the hairstyle I had in mind for the character - and I am willing to do the faceup fixing myself.

Could I just ask a follow-up clarification, in case you or anyone else visits this thread?

So with Volks default faceups, it's possible to remove just the mouth part without that line of sealant from other layers? Like, it'll come off cleanly?

I tried doing the same before with a faceup I did myself, but the line from the sealant + blushing was really obvious, so I was forced to remove it and start from scratch. >_< Off the top of my head, would the best way to remove it be dipping a small brush into W&N and using that to dab off the painted mouth do the trick? Or is there any particular technique to it?

Thanks for your reply!

Aile
So with Volks default faceups, it's possible to remove just the mouth part without that line of sealant from other layers? Like, it'll come off cleanly?

I tried doing the same before with a faceup I did myself, but the line from the sealant + blushing was really obvious, so I was forced to remove it and start from scratch. >_< Off the top of my head, would the best way to remove it be dipping a small brush into W&N and using that to dab off the painted mouth do the trick? Or is there any particular technique to it?

Thanks for your reply!

As far as I remember, Volks doesn't really do much as to protecting their face up (I think they don't even use sealants, someone correct me on this if I'm wrong)

So removing the faceup on the mouth should totally be okay C:

CREW:

Haruna (Alter V2 remakeup ver) ☆ Nyx (Rise remakeup ver) ☆ Senka (Rise ) ☆ Aila (DDH-01) ☆ Nero (Saber Extra) ☆ Sora (Miku) ☆ Anemone (Sasara V2) ☆ Beauvoir (Sheryl Nome Remakep ver) ☆ Nymnir Nyven (Yuriko & Liliru) ☆ Jeanne D' Arc ☆ Y'shtola ☆ Leucothea (2b Remakeup ver) 

IG

patdes

Thanks for your reply!

As far as I remember, Volks doesn't really do much as to protecting their face up (I think they don't even use sealants, someone correct me on this if I'm wrong)

So removing the faceup on the mouth should totally be okay C:

Oh, wow! Gosh, Volks. XD I didn't know that, thanks! Okay, feeling a bit more confident now.

By the way, is W&N Brush Cleaner available locally? I just use Mr. Hobby Color Paint Thinner to remove my resin girl's faceups. OTL

Jezrah

I'm not sure where you live, but I got my Windsor and Newton from Michael's. It can also be found at most craft stores that carry paints, and also likely on Amazon. But if it's too much of a hassle to get some, other things can be used. A lot of people also use colorless or light colored acetone free nail polish remover.

As for technique, I have some cotton swabs that are meant for human makeup. On one end the cotton is formed to come to a point. (I dunno if that makes sense.) I just dip the regular rounded swab end in W&N and apply it to the mouth area, wait a few seconds, and then start trying to clean it with the pointed end. The point can get down into the mouth line. If all the color comes completely clean, then the area just needs washed off really well. For a full removal I'd just wash it in the sink, but for just the mouth I'd probably gently clean just the area using paper towels and a dish of water. Use soap too to make sure the cleaner comes off, but don't use soap with a bright color since that may stain. My soap is very pale purple and hasn't caused trouble.

If all the paint comes off but there is still color stained in the area, then it will need to be treated with Oxy10 or the like. Info here. viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1887

Of course once you repaint the mouth it'll need sealed. I'd go ahead and seal the whole face since Volks doesn't seem to do so themselves.

Sorry if I cover things you already know. I didn't know what your experience level was.

32717445532_3aa446bd94_m.jpg

chien

Also, if what you remove does touch a blushed area it becomes a lot harder to remove! I've had people ask me before if I can remove just one segment of a face-up-- like the lips-- but that segment would be right on top of something else (soft cheek blushing). Then it's a no go! Please keep those kind of things in mind before you start wiping, because once you wipe it off and notice that not only did you remove the lips, but also part of the cheek blushing, it's not always that easy to fix! Good luck. !

patdes
I'm not sure where you live, but I got my Windsor and Newton from Michael's. It can also be found at most craft stores that carry paints, and also likely on Amazon. But if it's too much of a hassle to get some, other things can be used. A lot of people also use colorless or light colored acetone free nail polish remover.

As for technique, I have some cotton swabs that are meant for human makeup. On one end the cotton is formed to come to a point. (I dunno if that makes sense.) I just dip the regular rounded swab end in W&N and apply it to the mouth area, wait a few seconds, and then start trying to clean it with the pointed end. The point can get down into the mouth line. If all the color comes completely clean, then the area just needs washed off really well. For a full removal I'd just wash it in the sink, but for just the mouth I'd probably gently clean just the area using paper towels and a dish of water. Use soap too to make sure the cleaner comes off, but don't use soap with a bright color since that may stain. My soap is very pale purple and hasn't caused trouble.

If all the paint comes off but there is still color stained in the area, then it will need to be treated with Oxy10 or the like. Info here. viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1887

Of course once you repaint the mouth it'll need sealed. I'd go ahead and seal the whole face since Volks doesn't seem to do so themselves.

Sorry if I cover things you already know. I didn't know what your experience level was.

Thanks! I'm totally, totally new, so all that information really helped! Thank you so much!

Also, if what you remove does touch a blushed area it becomes a lot harder to remove! I've had people ask me before if I can remove just one segment of a face-up-- like the lips-- but that segment would be right on top of something else (soft cheek blushing). Then it's a no go! Please keep those kind of things in mind before you start wiping, because once you wipe it off and notice that not only did you remove the lips, but also part of the cheek blushing, it's not always that easy to fix! Good luck. !

Good to note, thank you! Yeah, that's my concern as well. I don't wanna accidentally remove blushing and create an ugly, noticeable line. I'll figure it out once I have the doll in my hand and can inspect her more closely. Thanks for your input!

misskale

I really highly recommend the precision cotton swabs if you're doing something like a mouth. I used them on Nanami and it really allows for a focused makeup removal. They're also great for applying a thicker blushing to the area if you're not painting.

http://www.qtips.com/product/detail/115035/precision-tips

These are the ones VolksUSA has, they're pointier than the qtip brand ones. http://www.volksusa.com/matlot0038.html

With the windsor newton brush cleaner feeling oily, it actually softens the vinyl a little and that feeling goes away if you let the head dry.

patdes
I really highly recommend the precision cotton swabs if you're doing something like a mouth. I used them on Nanami and it really allows for a focused makeup removal. They're also great for applying a thicker blushing to the area if you're not painting.

http://www.qtips.com/product/detail/115035/precision-tips

These are the ones VolksUSA has, they're pointier than the qtip brand ones. http://www.volksusa.com/matlot0038.html

With the windsor newton brush cleaner feeling oily, it actually softens the vinyl a little and that feeling goes away if you let the head dry.

Thanks for this! I think I've seen similar cotton swabs in my area, I'll keep an eye out for them. Good to know that Volks carries them as well, just in case! XD

misskale

Thanks for this! I think I've seen similar cotton swabs in my area, I'll keep an eye out for them. Good to know that Volks carries them as well, just in case! XD

The volks ones have a better point and are good for small spaces, but they're a lot more expensive. Unfortunately that seems to be a rule of thumb for a lot of random volksusa entries...

I used them for my Amy's lips. First I cleaned out the old paint and then used the other side of the swab to smudge pastel powder (I wanted a thick gloss color).

http://flickr.com/gp/73725528@N04/G9920W

ParacosmDoll

Edited by ParacosmDoll

misskale
Thanks to patdes for creating this post! It's something I've been wanting to learn more about and I'm glad it seems to be reasonably easy to remove the faceup on the mouth *because I'll be doing that when I get my girls head*

I was curious though. How hard does anyone think it would be to remove the blushing without taking off part of the eyes? Would it even be possible at all?

You're wanting to make the blushing lighter? Or do you want to change the color entirely? It's definitely not as simple as the lips and if you use a paint remover it will likely damage the eye makeup or leave a weird line.

**NOTE: This is what I would do and would appreciate suggestions from other people who do faceups**

If you're trying to make it lighter, I'd try with (very light pressure) 3k grit sandpaper or a magic eraser followed by a gum eraser (or just use the gum eraser without the sandpaper) to make it matte. If you're changing the color entirely I'd say you should layer over the old blushing with powdered chalk pastels and then seal it.

Neither is really for the faint of heart...

jadepixel

I think it's possible to remove blushing on a Volks factory faceup, not one that's been sealed with MSC or similar. For the default faceups, you can paint brush cleaner over the blushed part, and veeeery careful remove it after it's soaked for a minute or so. I don't know many Volks faceups that overlap the eye makeup and blushing, so for most DD it's do-able.

ParacosmDoll

Edited by ParacosmDoll