Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
galatia9

silicone putty causing eye clouding?

galatia9

Hi all,

I did a search and couldn't find anything mentioning this particular issue. I just changed my DDH-07's Volks animetic eyes after he had worn them for at least a month, and the silicone ear plugs I use for eye putty have clouded the whites of his eyes where they were in contact. They are still smooth but no longer shiny. Has anyone else had this problem?

I have had Super Sculpey cause a chemical reaction and "melt" acrylic eyes before, but I haven't seen the silicone ear plugs cause this problem with other hollow back acrylic eyes (that I can remember). Most of my resin BJDs wear glass eyes, silicone eyes or SoulDoll acrylic eyes (which have a flat back), and of course they are fine with the silicone.

Thanks

Linda S.

galatia9

Edited by Guest

DDH03 girl DDH07 x2 boys DDH06 girl DDH-05 x2 boys

DDH01 mod girl Saber Alter SqLab Tsubaki boy DDH-02 girl

Mio Honda Youmu Konpaku x2 boy twins

Also: DDS Lagla, Sheryl Nome, SmD Melody, SmD Eiji x2

Innocentsake

I recently got a new pair of eyes for Momoko (her same ones but metallic) from Twin-Snow. She's had the first pair in since I got her so more than a year with the same set of silicone ear plugs I used the first day to keep them in. I've been using Mack's Silicone Ear Plugs brand. Just checked the pair of eyes I took out and the whites of the eyes are still smooth & shiny so the silicone earplugs haven't done anything to them. Could is possibly be the silicone ear plugs you're using? But if they are the same brand I'm using then perhaps it's something else~

galatia9

Thanks for the reply! Do you use Mack's, or generic store brand? I think I used the generic type in all of my resin BJDs, but the eyes I use in them are more non-reactive.

I'll see if I have some of the Mack's brand, and do a comparison.

Linda S.

galatia9

Innocentsake
Thanks for the reply! Do you use Mack's, or generic store brand? I think I used the generic type in all of my resin BJDs, but the eyes I use in them are more non-reactive.

I'll see if I have some of the Mack's brand, and do a comparison.

Linda S.

galatia9

You're welcome and yes yes I use the Mack's brand Let us know what the results are!

jadepixel

Huh, I haven't seen that before, although sometimes the silicone can be smudgy and hard to remove. I'm using generic Walgreen's brand ear plugs for most of my acrylic eyes.

I have run into that issue with silicone-based eyes from Soom - I still feel dumb for messing up my expensive Soom eyes

galatia9
Huh, I haven't seen that before, although sometimes the silicone can be smudgy and hard to remove. I'm using generic Walgreen's brand ear plugs for most of my acrylic eyes.

I have run into that issue with silicone-based eyes from Soom - I still feel dumb for messing up my expensive Soom eyes

Do you think that's what we get for being cheapskates? LOL! It's odd that the silicone plugs caused damage to the Soom silicone eyes! I've never had a problem with the ear plugs and Eyeco silicone eyes.

I use a soft cloth to wipe any silicone residue from the acrylic or glass eyes each time I change them. I'm going to try using the white poster tack and see how that goes.

Linda S.

galatia9

Aronzo96

I've only heard of eye clouding happening to urethane eyes or something like that. If the eyes are completely clean and still clouded-looking, you could try polishing them with a nail buffer (just do the last step--no sanding!) What I've done when my glass or acrylic eyes get scratches or scuffs is actually applying a coat of clear nail polish over the surface, but I'm not sure that would help you.

galatia9

Luckily the clouding is only around the edges where the silicone ear plug was, not in the front of the eye that shows in the DD head. I need to examine them again to see if the clouding is only on the surface, or if it goes further in than that. But I don't think nail polish or a nail buffer would restore it.

I may try taking some pictures of it. But not tonight, I've been out all day! Maybe tomorrow.

Linda